SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Paul Ryan launches digs at Trump, Democrats in charity dinner speech
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paul Ryan launches digs at Trump, Democrats in charity dinner speech Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Speaker of the House Paul Ryan took jabs at both Republicans and Democrats Thursday night at the annual Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation dinner in New York City -- but some of his pointed barbs took aim at President Trump.

“I know last year at this dinner Donald Trump offended some people with his comments which critics said went too far,” Ryan joked. “Some said it was unbecoming of a public figure and that his comments were offensive… Well, thank God he’s learned his lesson.”

The event, which raises money for Catholic charities, brings in some of the nation's biggest political heavyweights each year. Last year, then-candidates Trump and Hillary Clinton took swipes at each other, to some controversy.

Ryan also poked fun at Gov. Chris Christie, R-N.J. The speaker explained that he loved October, calling it his “favorite time of the year.” Then he joked: “Deer season is on, the leaves are changing, the beaches are empty. Or as Chris Christie calls them, perfect.”

Turning his address towards Democratic leadership, Ryan said, “A lot of people ask me what it’s like to work on a daily basis with an abrasive New Yorker with a loud mouth… But once you get to know him, Chuck’s [Schumer] not all that bad.”

“I know why Chuck has been so hard on President Trump. It’s not ideological, Chuck is just mad he lost his top donor,” Ryan said of Trump, who in past years donated to the Democratic Party.

Next taking aim at Hillary Clinton, he told the audience that he bought her new book, “What Happened.”

“This sums up today’s politics perfectly,” Ryan said. “She took 8 months, writing 10 hours a day, to explain what happened in 512 pages. The president explained it in a tweet. Hashtag, I won.”

He later mocked former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, who had a prominent and influential role within the Trump administration. Ryan said that since Bannon resigned from office, he’s “now second in line of succession.”

The speaker then quipped that Bannon said Ryan was “born in a petri dish at the Heritage Foundation. This is amazing – no one knew Steve believed in science.”

Before he finished on a more serious note, mentioning the recent hurricanes, wildfires and the massacre in Las Vegas, Ryan also said he was learning “that becoming Speaker of the House is a stepping stone… to becoming ex-Speaker of the House.”

At last year's dinner, Trump was jeered when he quipped that Clinton was "so corrupt she got kicked off the Watergate Commission."

Clinton shot back, saying she understood Trump was leery of teleprompters because they can be difficult to follow, and "I'm sure it's even harder when you're translating from the original Russian."

But an outburst came from the audience when Trump brought up Clinton's emails, which were leaked by Wikileaks. He claimed she was "pretending not to hate Catholics," in an apparent reference to 2011 emails from a Clinton campaign spokeswoman that mocked Catholics and evangelical Christians.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
becoming Speaker of the House is a stepping stone… to becoming ex-Speaker of the House

If only it happened more quickly... ex-Speaker, ex-Congressman, and ex-Politician.

Go home, already, you globalist-loving establishment-choade.

You're stinking up the place, an astonishing feat in D.C.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
"Simon says: RINO bullshit-artist disappear!"

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Oh, for Christ’s sake. Lighten up!

Those are some funny comments.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:

They might seem funnier if he actually admired and respected the President and worked tirelessly to implement his agenda.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Exactly what I thought. Sounds more like a roast than any kind of platform speech.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Yeah, they were funny. Do we always have to be so negative?

Laugh a little bit, will ya?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I sincerely laughed at each of the joke's jokes, but it does a change a thing. No one sent him there to be funny, and his success isn't measured in jokes, unfortunately for him. I wish him the very best in his new found love for comedy. Anything that gets him gone sooner. I might even pay to see him in a Stand-Up club, should he truly embrace his new passion.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This is the Al Smith dinner, and political jokes, making fun of your side, the other side, and politics itself, is the old and venerable tradition of the dinner. Enjoy the jokes in that context!

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a free-fire zone. Do what I did- just don't watch the video.

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
It's the first time Ryan has put a smile on my face instead of pissing me off, so I'm giving him a pass. We really do need to lighten up every now and then.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I snickered. Those were good.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
those were good

still don't like him for his lack of leadership and being a spineless RINO but the comments were pretty funny

and he called Schumer an abrasive loud-mouthed New Yorker - and got away with it - he gets bonus points for that

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post