SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Muscle build rate?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muscle build rate? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
If I exercise regularly (like walk 3-4 miles per day), I can drop about 5-7 lbs in about 3 weeks. But I don't think I get any stronger.

I've started biking (mixing in some uphill, not just flat) and some upper body weights (press, curls, lifts for shoulders). And I think I've gained about 6 lbs over the past 2-3 weeks. Biking is about 5-10 miles (with some uphill) about 3 times per week. And then weights every day or every other day. I'm not strong by any means but I can feel some additional muscle in my legs and upper body.

Reasonable to build about 6lbs of muscle like this? Or is something else going on? How fast can one build muscle (assuming one is relatively weak and out of shape to start)?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Water retention can account for the large weight swings. A bowl of ramen will easily add 5 lbs of weight within a day for me. Not because I ate 5 lbs of ramen, mind you, but that the sodium immediately makes me retain water. Eat clean a few days and the weight just drops off.

You've just gotta take measurements daily, and throw out the outliers. I have a scale that measures "body fat" and "muscle mass" but it's really just measuring electrical impedance. It's not accurate, but it helps with identifying trends.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ok. Yea, I was wondering if I have some swelling somewhere. I'll keep monitoring it. I didn't measure for a few weeks so I was a little surprised. And a little worried that I may have some swelling indicative of some exercise related damage I might be incurring (just don't know it yet).

I'll check it daily for awhile.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to take measurements (tape). Losing inches around belly and waist means losing fat no matter what a scale says. Measuring leg, arm and chest dia. will also help determine what's going on. Progress photos in the same light condition and same position (pre-not post workout).

For someone de-conditioned, yes, I think it's possible...but...some of that weight will be fluid in the muscle and swelling etc., not 6lbs of pure muscle fiber.

If you are lifting high volume of heavy weights (and eating well with lots of sleep and recovery), a rookie can pack on muscle fast. Your body is adapting to the way it wants to be.

"Weights every day or every other day" makes me guess the weight workouts aren't very intense. If they were, you'd be on a fast course to illness and/or injury. Working out doesn't make you stronger, it makes you weaker. Recovering form working out makes you stronger.

"Weights" also doesn't have to involve anything other than something to pull up on. Your muscles have no preference on what makes them contract. Huge gains in strength, mass, and endurance can be had with only variations of push ups, pull ups, squats, knee/leg raises and bridges. I've been doing body weight calisthenics exclusively for quite awhile and have gotten outstanding results.

The scale BF measurements are useless. My expensive fit bit Aria says I'm over 16%...when 10x digital caliper readings (averaged) had me at 9%. The 9% being about right is supported by before/after photos, before/after weight comparisons and belly/waist inches lost in a 4 month time-frame.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea, I'm not doing intense weights. Probably on the lighter side and just doing more reps. For example, I'll do about 20-25 reps of presses on the bench (until I get tired and can feel the burn).

I'll do presses and shoulder backs (using the stretch bands) one day, then do curls, triceps, shoulders the next. Then repeat. I know I'm weak and out of shape so trying very hard not to get hurt.

I'm very, very sleepy these days. Smile

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Age, T levels, sleep time, and protein intake all play a significant role in muscle gain and development.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always been a hard gainer even when I was younger.

Between the military, college sports, etc.. I never could put on weight. I just ripped down and got super lean. Now my strength when up I just never got bigger.

Now my best friend can look at a weight and he gets bigger.

A lot of my problem is not sleeping enough, and recovery days.

You need to make sure you are taking in enough calories and protein to repair the damaged muscles.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) How old are you?

B) How hard do you want to work?

Do 6 weeks of cardio and egoscue/yoga/calisthenics to correct your structure.

The following 6 weeks, its pretty easy for most men, under 40, to add a solid 20#, if they want. Its just not going to be fun.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
A) How old are you?

Huge difference in a 25 year old vs. a 60 yr old.

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Another factor you cannot control (age being another): genetics.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Indeed. Where one man can spend an entire year doing concentrated leg lifts to build just a little more definition in his legs, another man can get up from the couch and grow and inch in his calves just walking to the fridge. It ain't fair, but life ain't fair.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Indeed. Where one man can spend an entire year doing concentrated leg lifts to build just a little more definition in his legs, another man can get up from the couch and grow and inch in his calves just walking to the fridge. It ain't fair, but life ain't fair.

While certainly a factor...I think this is also used as a cop-out too many times (not talking about anyone in this thread).

If you truly knew everything about the exercise, nutrition, and rest plans of the 2 hypothetical individuals above, I bet the results would not be so dramatic. As humans, when we don't want to do something/put in the work, we tend to downplay the factors we control (90% of them) and overplay the ones we don't to let ourselves off the hook.

Kinda like someone saying dieting doesn't work for them, they have bad genes, glands, whatever. Follow them around for a week, I guarantee you'll know exactly why they look the way they do. Same with someone in shape, call it genetics if you want, but I bet you follow them 24/7 for a week, it will be clear why they look the way they do.

Put 2 people from totally different genetic backgrounds on the exact same program and lifestyle (at the same age, gender, and fitness level) and I would expect very similar results. Kinda like basic training/infantry AIT...narrow age range, all male-same diet, exercise, and rest (or lack thereof). We all looked pretty similar by the end. Those coming in with too much fat or muscle lost it. Those of us us too skinny, gained some muscle. Given more time, results would have normed even more, the outliers were the ones who started at an extreme.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Excuse the thread drift...

Konata88,

Seems You are UP on this stuff.

I'm 67, 6-3 and 200 pounds. I want to start exercising, as in join a health club , for something to do this Winter.

I can walk quite well, have a bit of a bad back, but otherwise OK knees, shoulder joints, etc. No heart/BP issues. So no injury issues...just creeping in, old age.

Any suggestions?

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whenever you start exercising you will retain water and probably gain weight. It is really hard to tell much of anything without extensive lab tests or personal measurements.

Just make sure to keep the protein at min .5 to 1 gm per kg of body weight and don't let the exercise be an excuse to eat more. After you "stabilize" a bit you can track bodyweight, waist measurement, and gains in actual strength or endurance.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
quote:
quote:

While certainly a factor...I think this is also used as a cop-out too many times (not talking about anyone in this thread).

It's used as a cop-out by those who don't actually put in the work, but for those that do it's absolutely true that genetics play a huge part in the type of results you get and how fast you get them.

Everyone though (save for a very small minority) has the ability to transform his or her body if he or she is willing to put in the work.

“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” -Socrates

quote:
Originally posted by Crom:

Just make sure to keep the protein at min .5 to 1 gm per kg of body weight ...

Well, I don't agree with that one bit. If you're doing strength training, you need protein...lots of it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
More like 1 lb a month of actual muscle for the average person lifting moderately heavy, regularly, eating right and your hormones still kicking.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's used as a cop-out by those who don't actually put in the work, but for those that do it's absolutely true that genetics play a huge part in the type of results you get and how fast you get them.

Everyone though (save for a very small minority) has the ability to transform his or her body if he or she is willing to put in the work.

“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” -Socrates

Love the Socrates quote!

I think 90% don't put in the work, but since they talk a good game and we don't know different, who are we to say they are wrong? The real problem with this is that others with less confidence believe them and give up. (Well if so-and-so could't do it what chance do I have?) Plenty! "so-and-so" is full of crap!

10% put in the work. Of those, 8/10 have poor programming, poor nutrition, poor recovery...or a combination thereof. (Or, as I've seen all the time, don't have clearly defined goals...so what are the "working" towards?)

Of the remaining 2/10 putting in the (intelligent) work, one may be a genetically gifted champion, the other will be a heck of a specimen even if they don't ever make the stage or podium.

This is of course just a way of putting how I feel about it into an example with #s pulled out of my arse, but I think the concept is sound.

I briefly worked as a personal trainer and have observed soldier fitness and gyms full of them my whole life, what I observed matches what I wrote in concept. The ones who were yoked worked like mules and ate their Wheaties (so to speak).

It all comes back to the Socrates quote...

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Give up sugar for December and the muscles you already have will begin to reveal themselves. Walking is awesome. Lactic acid is actually good. Hope you reach your goals.

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Fn in MT - start with yoga*/egoscue. At your age, and given your joint issues, they will make a big difference in your life.

*I do not mean "happy bendy time" though that may be the best place to start. Find an Ashtanga/other more "jock" studio - one where the instructor/more advanced people are regularly going in and out of handstands during their routine.

Work up to being able to practice 6 times per week. Add in dips, pull ups, and some other normal weigh lifting/indian clubs/etc (something to develop closed hand strength, and pulls.)

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't put much stock in a +-6 lb. change in two weeks. I've accidentally dehydrated and lost that much in one day, put it back on the next. Hell. You can drop three with a good dump Smile

Look for sustained changes in how your clothes fit and what you see in the mirror.

One is unlikely to see a lot of strength or bulk gains from low weight/high rep weight training. That's more endurance and cardio training.

I do either two sets of twelve, three sets of eight, two or three sets of pause/rest, or three set pyramids.

But whatever works for you, and whatever with which you're comfortable.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post