New
Find
Notify
Tools

Falkirk Wheel Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Apropos the French canal system - read the very funny book about a trip across the English Channel in a 70foot narrow boat - yes, really - and down the canals to Carcasonne - 'Narrow Dog to Carcassone'.

Two old farts and their crazy Whippet, Jim, and the adventures that are hard to imagine.

Well worth the few dollars from Amazon.

tac

Posts: 11314 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Never heard anything about this. So cool.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Now that is awesome. I will put that in my list to see if I am in striking distance. Always perfectly balanced with our without and opposing channel boat. Brilliant

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Just like the Peterborough boat lift in Ontario...

tac
I just looked that one up, and it does not operate the same way. The upper caisson always becomes heavier when a boat is loaded because more water is also let in, and the weight difference powers the transfer when a pipe between the lift chambers is opened. The excess water is let out when the lower caisson is opened, readying the lift for the next transfer.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post