Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Falkirk Wheel Login/Join 
posted
<iframe width="725" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_tBH9SE-Kw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First time that I've seen this one and it's very cool from an engineering design

Posts: 187 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/_tBH9SE-Kw8

Fixed the embed for ya

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
From the people who brought us, HK !

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Probably the only time you'll ever hear this combination of words in your life.... That is one bad ass lock. Smart design to use two rotating locks to counterbalance each other and us only 22KW for 5 minutes. They could power it with a tractor engine if they wanted to.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
That thing is very cool. Never heard of it before.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16395 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks PHPaul. I went through the instructions for embedding the video but obviously I screwed it up somehow.

Posts: 187 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mholmes:
Thanks PHPaul. I went through the instructions for embedding the video but obviously I screwed it up somehow.

There are several choices on TubeIt after you tell it which video to use. Use the bottom one with the {FLASH_VIDEO} tags.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Fun to listen to the Scottish accent of the narrator too.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
What the...???

I did not expect anything like that.

Very cool engineering.

It's amazing to imagine how the solution was crafted from the problem statement "How do we get a boat from point A here to point B there" and come up with that answer. Very imaginative problem solving.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19649 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Fascinating and ingenious. I had no idea.

If I were a maker of low budget films in Scotland, I'd try to get a permit to film there. It would be a great backdrop for a film set in the future.

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometime, later in my life, I'd like to take a few months, rent a barge and travel through Europe via canal. England/Scotland have a growing tourism industry as they reuse their old canals for tourism and the Falkirk Wheel is one location I look forward to visiting. France has the most developed canal system for travelers, sailing along the Canal du Midi you could spend months going from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic. There's a number of locks, lifts and water slopes that you travel through. You can spend a lot of time on You Tube watching them work.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
That was incredible. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah? We have TVA and a gazillion pounds of ugly concrete for our locks on the TN river...

It would almost be worth sitting on a plane forever to go see that.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
When my family went to England for my BIL's separation ceremony and collectively decided to drive to Scotland for some fun time. I made sure to include a side trip to Glasgow to see it in person. It is every bit as impressive as you would imagine.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At first I thought it was just going to lower or raise the boat, but it also moves the water too. Amazing!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Was in Scotland 18 months or so ago, how did I miss that? It is amazing! It is a beautiful place that I mean to return to...

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Probably the only time you'll ever hear this combination of words in your life.... That is one bad ass lock. Smart design to use two rotating locks to counterbalance each other and us only 22KW for 5 minutes. They could power it with a tractor engine if they wanted to.
The really neat thing about it as that both carriers always weigh the same--each craft displaces its own weight of water (Archimedes' Principle) so the carrier always has the same weight.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Yeah, both carriers weigh the same. It takes very little power to operate it. The volume of the weight of the water that the boat and it's passengers displace weigh the same as the volume of the displaced much water. To put it in layman's terms, 'it's cool.'

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Just like the Peterborough boat lift in Ontario...

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Cool. Thanks for posting that, mholmes.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post