SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The old end of the month car sales adage is much more serious than I thought!
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The old end of the month car sales adage is much more serious than I thought! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
2 weekends ago was Presidents' Day that couple with tax time car prices are a bit high. For instance a 2014 factory CPO Toyota Sienna XLE, with 36k miles, pretty much all the options available before becoming a Limited except rear DVD. They were asking 29,500 about 2k more than most I had been looking at the prior week.
Well over the weekend they dropped it to 24,500. So I figured at that price it was worth the 2 hour drive to check it out. Had to make the drive for the nephews birthday party anyhoo so no sweat off my back if it was a bust.
Went up checked out the van and it was quite nice. A couple minor issues that needed to be fixed but no big deal. So I said fix it and I'll give you 24,500 out the door. A little optimistic on my end from what else I have seen on the market but I have no problem starting low and coming up a bit. Ended up getting it for $24,800. So I was good with that. Of course it was Saturday evening so they could not have the repairs done. I said it was no issue I would just come up the following weekend and pick it up. So met with the finance closer and told him I would just be writing a personal check and I would wait until the following weekend to reinspect the van to make sure everything was fixed accordingly.
I got a call today that the car was done and I could come get it tomorrow. I said that it would have to wait till Sunday as I work all week and won't be able to make the drive until then.
Got a call later tonight saying they will be delivering the van to me tomorrow so they can have the sale finalized by close of business so it goes on their February books.
I say no problem, saves me and a buddy 4 hours of driving.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Nice on both counts: less than what you offered and that you could pay cash for it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold cars for a new car dealer once upon a time and really never understood the end of the month thing. I've seen them lose money on cars to make a sale. I've also seen them extend the end of the month a day or two into the next month, but then you're just taking away from the next month......

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Not from the assholes up here I take it.

Congrats

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31432 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Sounds like you did well. I always coach friends and family here in Central Florida, if they don't need a vehicle immediately, wait and couple model year end with quarter end September, and bid on a left over model. I have a couple dealerships locally I still have sales contacts in, and have hit some homeruns for family and friends wheeling and dealing this way. I even did a deal late last year for a neighbor on a Toyota wherein she agreed to finance a portion of the car at 0% (she could pay cash), make the first three payments, then pay off the car without suffering any penalty, for an additional $500 Toyota Finance incentive. She got a terrific price on the car, and the $500 was just gravy on the deal.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Not from the assholes up here I take it.

Congrats

Most certainly not after that follow up email they sent me.

————————————————

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Toyota Sienna XLE

My brother wants a Toyota Sienna with his growing family. Me? I'd road trip the heck out of one.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Yep, just bought a 2017 Honda Accord Touring last week. My local Honda dealers pricing is typically laughably high. They were determined to sell a car before the end of the month though. I have dealt with them in the past and they are typically less than flexible on price. I got the car for what I wanted and they gave me high book on my 08 Accord. Next car purchase will be in February towards the end of the monthSmile

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Yep, just bought a 2017 Honda Accord Touring last week. My local Honda dealers pricing is typically laughably high. They were determined to sell a car before the end of the month though. I have dealt with them in the past and they are typically less than flexible on price. I got the car for what I wanted and they gave me high book on my 08 Accord. Next car purchase will be in February towards the end of the monthSmile

March towards end of the month is end of Q1. End of quarter/year is even better than just end of month.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:

March towards end of the month is end of Q1. End of quarter/year is even better than just end of month.

Makes sense, still very happy with the upgrade, finally a set of stock wheels that look decent.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Report This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
The very best deal I have ever wrangled on a brand new vehicle was on December 31st. Wow - I was shocked. Since then, I visit the dealerships every Dec. 31st to see what they have in their inventory.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Report This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
The reason is that dealers have break-points that if they exceed them, they get a bigger cut or a bonus. If they are a few cars short of a big sales goal at the end of the month or quarter, they will sell cars even at a loss, as they will make more overall by exceeding the break-point.

Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Isn't there also an inventory tax they try to minimize?

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Woo hoo!

I purchased a 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD last October for my wife. It's loaded. It's advertised price was pretty good. I was able to talk them down to an-out-the-door price that was several thousand less than what they advertised.

I negotiated an out the door price, paid cash and they were happy to take my money, although they didn't make a lot of money from financing, they were happy to get the car off the lot.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
The reason is that dealers have break-points that if they exceed them, they get a bigger cut or a bonus. If they are a few cars short of a big sales goal at the end of the month or quarter, they will sell cars even at a loss, as they will make more overall by exceeding the break-point.

They lose money on every sale, but they make it up in volume.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've also seen them extend the end of the month a day or two into the next month

The fiscal month / year isn't exactly aligned with the actual calendar. It's not just car dealers, it's retail in general. And those calendars are set in advance even if it may not seem so.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Apparently their commission percentage is based upon the number of cars they sell a month. The more cars the higher percentage.
Without my sale he would have gotten 17% for the month, with mine he got 23%.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Apparently their commission percentage is based upon the number of cars they sell a month. The more cars the higher percentage.
Without my sale he would have gotten 17% for the month, with mine he got 23%.

It is true Salesman getting larger percentages after they sell x amount of units in a month, an even larger one after they hit y amount of cars.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Congrats! Sounds like you did well. I always coach friends and family here in Central Florida, if they don't need a vehicle immediately, wait and couple model year end with quarter end September, and bid on a left over model. I have a couple dealerships locally I still have sales contacts in, and have hit some homeruns for family and friends wheeling and dealing this way. I even did a deal late last year for a neighbor on a Toyota wherein she agreed to finance a portion of the car at 0% (she could pay cash), make the first three payments, then pay off the car without suffering any penalty, for an additional $500 Toyota Finance incentive. She got a terrific price on the car, and the $500 was just gravy on the deal.

Interesting. I will have to contact you when we get ready to buy a car.

The dealerships around here leave a lot to be desired.

More specifically we're looking at Toyota.

No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Do they get credit for selling a car which is ordered? In other words, are they motivated to give a good deal on a car ordered from the factory at the end of the month?

I know they much prefer to keep stock on their lot and sell that, but I almost never find the combination of features I want that way.

Posts: 9438 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Report This Post