SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Steel Target Recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steel Target Recommendations Login/Join 
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted
I am a member of a local private range and as such it is often that I can be the only person on the range. Other times there are a couple of us.
I am interested in a steel target recommendation that I can transport fairly easily, use in front of a pistol range berm. I would need to transport it about 20 yard maybe from my truck to the berm.

I am interested in shooting pistols at this range and maybe take it back to 50 / 100 / 200 yds other times for rifle shooting.

At the recent Dallas NRA show I saw three vendors who make reactive targets. They all seemed of high quality.

I love the idea of a plate rack but worry that a round could leave the range which is a no NO! I did see an underfolding plate rack, but I would need a way to cart it the 20ish yrds and then assemble/disassemble it quickly between cease fires.

Anyone else here have a recommendation for some steel targets that would be fun to shoot, develop skilz, be portable?

A rimfire compatible or separate target recommendation would be my next or separate request.

Thanks for any suggestions.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got some different products from these folks and have been pleased. They make some portable things that look good; however, the stuff I have purchased I use stationary out at the farm. It has held up well for me and they run sales often.

https://www.shootsteel.com/

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
At my range all we use is MGM targets. They have some models that might fit your needs,

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
GT Targets are good-to-go.

https://www.gttargets.com/

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I used black pipe and shootingtargets7.com plates & chain mounting kits.

Easy to unscrew the two rear support pipes for transport.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I second GT Targets.
Tell Karl you're a Sigforum member.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
TacStrike.
I have three of their 3/4 targets and have many thousands of pistol and rifle rounds on them over the years without any issues.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I'll add Challenge Targets to the list of consideration.
Also on amazon.

http://www.challengetargets.com/SFNT.html

Posts: 3507 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have Arntzen, MGM and Temco targets and have used lots of GT stuff. (I also have several makers which I've long forgotten and several sources of rimfire stuff)

IMO.. buy from whomever is closer to you if it saves you shipping.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a couple 8 inch discs and a couple 5 inch discs. 3/8 thickness AR 500. Hang them from shepherds hooks from the lawn and garden store.

shootsteel.com

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post