SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you know how to use a slide rule?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you know how to use a slide rule? Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
No, I don't. But my dad has a good K&E slide rule from his college years, 1953 to 1957.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Yes, though it's been years (decades) and I couldn't put my hands on any of mine, if indeed I still have them. Haven't thought about them in forever.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
For many a slide rule was a magnet for females who
figured we would be wealthy engineers.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
38 and I've never even seen one in person. Other than the one my grandfather brought back from WWII that is a Japanese navigator's rule

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Slide rules, sure. But it's been a long time since I've needed to worry about knowing them... Never go down one in shorts in the summer time. Always wait for the person ahead of you to get off before you go down.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Never go down one in shorts in the summer time. Always wait for the person ahead of you to get off before you go down.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a Curta?

It's a pocket sized mechanical adding machine.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Looks like a steampunk hand grenade.

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Looks like a steampunk hand grenade.

I bought one at a gun show. I also got the instruction manual, but I've never tried it.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Used a Curta during T, S , D road rallies in the 60s.
Remember how to use the C and D scales on the slipstick.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Anyone have a Curta?

No I don't own one.
But in working condition they are worth a bunch of money nowadays.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never go down one in shorts in the summer time. Always wait for the person ahead of you to get off before you go down.
cas, what does this mean?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
I have my old Pickett in a box in the basement. Or attic. Or somewhere.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll guess you could get a nasty thigh burn and endanger fellow sliders in front. I might think going head first or standing on the way down are also not the way to go.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I think this refers to a playground slide and its related rules.
Took me a few minutes to pick that up.
Smile

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:
quote:

I think this refers to a playground slide and its related rules.
Took me a few minutes to pick that up.
Smile

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
quote:
Anyone have a Curta?

Would love to have one, bet TSA would ring the bells if you had one in your pocket!

No I don't own one.
But in working condition they are worth a bunch of money nowadays.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Fowler:
quote:
Anyone have a Curta?

Would love to have one, bet TSA would ring the bells if you had one in your pocket!

No offense Ed but you added your comment inside of my quote.
I fixed it above

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I am looking at an abacus given to me by a friend after his trip to China. He went to a local shop to buy souvenirs, the checkout clerk was using it behind the counter to tally purchases, he bought it for the company accountant (me). I have no clue how to use it.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post