SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you know how to use a slide rule?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you know how to use a slide rule? Login/Join 
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I ran across my K&E slide rule today. I vaguely remember how to use it. Anyone else?

Absolutely know how to use one, several types in fact.
As one of my diversified hobbies I collect them, preferring bamboo or plastic Log Log type rules.
My two oldest mahogany K+Es (not shown) from the 1940s have unfortunately suffered from KERCS, K+E Rotten Cursor Syndrome.
The Decilon would be the best of my K+E rules.

Figure if TEOTWAWKI occurs, I won't have to search for calculator batteries.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by slyguy:
Oh Hell No

I can use reverse polish notation like a bat outta hell though. Does that count?

I teach accounting in college. It is common for students to forget their calculator for an exam, ask if they can borrow mine. I give them my HP 12C with RPN. Invariably the student plays with it, gives it back, and tells me they will do the problems by hand. Smile

And they probably will never know how much easier it is to use an RPN calculator once one gets the hang of it.
BTW, I have a drawer full of RPN calculators too, all HPs.

Regards, Steve

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
The last math slip-stick I used was for two weeks in high school, ca 1962. They taught us use how to use them, but forbid their use in school. Confused

The last set of slip-sticks types I learned to use were the Graphical Firing Tables (GFT) for the 105mm in AIT in 1968 Didn't touch them in Nam because I moved to the benefit end of the computing. I think I see a parallel here with high school.

The only thing I could do with them now would be to pick out the correct stick for the charge - and that is because they were marked "Charge Two", etc. Smile

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I have not even seen one since I was 5 (50 years ago)!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
Oh hell yeah. A nice bamboo with a small canister of talcum powder, clean eyeglasses, and a good grasp of scientific notation and one is good to go.

Neatest thing I learned and still [somewhat] remember? How to find the nth root of a given number. But that was back in '72 so I'd probably stumble around a little today, at least for the first few hours.

Careful with the talc on a bamboo rule.
Bamboo is self lubricating and usually just requires a minor adjustment to get it gliding smooth as silk again.
The mahogany and metal rules can benefit from a little talc if they get sticky (although I would try cleaning and properly adjusting first)

Regards, Steve

Lovin' the P7
Picture of Tim335
posted Hide Post
I went to Southern Tech in the Fall of '74 and they taught a combined slide rule/trig class. I was in the last class that they taught slide rule. The professor had a giant slide rule at the front of the class to demonstrate and he was really good with that thing!

Posts: 3428 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: August 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Had to buy one for school, was taught a few basics for about a week then was tested on it. Never used it again after that week.

I still have it in a desk drawer, but it's missing the sliding part, IIRC, kid playing with it...

Think I'll throw it away next time I see it. ~ 50 years is long enough to keep a broken tool LOL!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:....And they probably will never know how much easier it is to use an RPN calculator once one gets the hang of it.
BTW, I have a drawer full of RPN calculators too, all HPs.

Bingo on being easier to use. But when they see there is no = key . . . Smile

And I have 4 HP 12C's, one for home office, one each for the briefcases I use for the two colleges where I teach, one for the briefcase where I do probono audits for a charitable organization.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
You made me go looking for my old K&E. Couldn't find it. Can't remember the last time I laid eyes on it.

I would have to refresh on how to use it.

For those who want their brains to hurt:

http://sliderulemuseum.com/SR_Course.htm

In middle school (a bit ago) a teacher had a huge slide rule mounted over the black board. About 10 feet long and a foot or two wide. The parts moved and he would set up the "big" slide rule to show various calculations.

I lost track of that old decimal point a lot.

For those who want the answers with decimals while playing around, here is a link to an Aristo 970 Simulator.

Aristo 970

Note the Horsepower to Kilo Watt direct conversion marks on the cursor.
The other short marks to the upper left and lower right are used when determining the area of a circle.
Oddly, for a German rule it does not have a Pythagorean scale.

Regards, Steve

Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Never used one. Don't know how to use an abacus either.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used a couple in high school before TI started selling basic digital calculators. Bought one of the early HP-12c calculators and never looked back. Been watching the many SR-71 videos and can't believe they used slide rules to design a plane in 1962 that was never bested.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Bingo on being easier to use. But when they see there is no = key . . . Smile

I usually find the first stumbling block to be looking for the parenthesis. Smile

Regards, Steve

posted Hide Post
Wow. Sorry about the size

This is hanging on my fathers kitchen wall. About 8' long

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
No. I graduated high school in 1980. During our freshman year, mine was the first class taught to use a scientific calculator v. a slide rule.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I was shown once as part of a drafting class (yes we still used boards) but doubt I could do anything today.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I run across mine every decade or so....the last time I tried to use it I think the batteries were running down....*kaff*kaff*..........

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Wow. Sorry about the size
I wouldn't expect a slide rule that big to fit into a small photo. Wink

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107574 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Yes. I have 2 but don't know where. When we moved 7 years ago I found them and did a quick multiplication. Worked fine.

But today I was at a flea market. A guy had one on his table. I didn't ask him how much and I didn't offer to sell mine since I don't know where it is.

We put men on the moon using them. Today we can't even launch a manned rocket. But today's things are somehow better even if they don't produce results.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I only ever knew how to use one for the basics. I'd be hard pressed to use one at all now. I may still have my Dad's somewhere...

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been so long, I do not remember how.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post