SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you know how to use a slide rule?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you know how to use a slide rule? Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I have one that I use from time to time.

It was my father's. A K&E.

I have to manual for it too.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I suppose I could figure it out again. Mine is in a drawer at my Mom's house.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im 35 and never saw one.

What is that ruler with the rolling cylinder on the back called.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I have a K&E I acquired a long time ago. I've never really needed to use one due to my age, but I've always been somewhat of a Luddite. I have a vague understanding of how to use it. There is certainly an art to using one well.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
We had them back in the day to figure weight & balance on C-130's. Loadmasters used them. Hell, slide-rule class was two days at Little Rock AFB.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
My Dad was an engineer and taught me how to use one. That was 60 years ago, doubt I'd be able to pick one up and use it.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My dad tried to teach me how to use his when I was in high school but I never picked it up.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Years ago I could handle one, but now? No way.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Needed one for a class decades ago. I would be lost today. The one thing I do remember is I wish I had a better one, they were so cool.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
...they were so cool.

Yes!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Not me. I haven't a clue. My brother, an engineering student in the early 1970s would have used one. He might vaguely remember. Circa 1974 or '75, somewhere in there, he bought one of the first scientific pocket calculators from HP. It was something like $400 then. Now one with the same functions is probably a tenth of that.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to know how to use one but it has been so long that all I can do now on one is simple multiplication.

Posts: 985 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a K&E.
Smile

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have mine from 1974. That fall (my Freshman year) in the first physics 101 exam, about 2/3 of the students were using slide rules.

In the second exam less than half.

In the third exam very few. Somewhere in there I got my HP35 (which I also still have).

I also have my grandfather's slide rule. He was Class of '18 at Purdue.

Posts: 964 | Registered: August 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
We were taught how to use one in HS.
My father was a civil engineer and he had shown me and my brother how to use one as well.
Also, when I took up flying, I learned to use an E6B which is a type of slide rule.

With a little practice, I am sure it would come back to me.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
My dad taught me to use his slide rule when I was in the 8th or 9th grade, and I got to be pretty good with it, but I got my first calculator (add, subtract, multiply, and divide only) a couple of years later and never picked up the slide rule again.

I had to buy a new Texas Instruments calculator every year after that until buying an HP11C calculator in the fall of 1983. I still use it at work every day.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
We had to learn how to do basic math on a slide rule in college. I think I've still got mine in a box someplace, but absolutely no idea how to use it anymore.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also learned to use on in HS. I still have mine with all my drafting supplies. I kind of remember how to use it. Calculator is easier.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do, and I have three around here plus a large circular slide rule and a 6" pocket SR.

About 1980 some the guys in my engineering group took a Pickett rule from my disk and put it in a shadow box with a brass plate; "To everything there is a season". It is now on the wall in my office.

Until the advent of the HP 35 and SR 10 in the early 70s the only hand held device capable of for example square and cube roots was the slide rule.
When I was in collage in the 50's every engineering student had a "slip stick" in a belt holster.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I had a college class on sliderule. Still have my pocket K&E and a full size SIC.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post