SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you know how to use a slide rule?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you know how to use a slide rule? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I ran across my K&E slide rule today. I vaguely remember how to use it. Anyone else?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Never used one. I'm 33.

I'd be curious to see one used, though.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Never used one. I'm 33.

Same.

I do remember learning to use a basic wooden abacus in elementary school math class (2nd or 3rd grade, maybe?), to help us visualize numbers.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
It's in the drawer with my analog clock..............

Give one to a millennial and watch their head explode

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4572 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yep. Used one in high school for a time. couldn't afford a calculator.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I've still got my K&E and I remember how to use it.

You haven't lived until you've tried to get three significant digits out of one of them fuckers after being up the night before drinking coffee.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I haven't used one for many years. Though I'm sure I still have mine in my desk drawer at home.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid my grandfather was teaching me to use one to multiply. That didn't get too far. That was in the 1970's. He graduated from MIT in 1912.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never used one for math class, but did when I started flying back in the 80s. The pilot's "Whiz Wheel" is basically circular slide rule.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I've still got mine kicking around here somewhere. Last time I looked at it, I could still do multiplication, but have forgotten the more complicated tricks.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Yep. I carried a Dietzgen for 4 years in engineering school (Miss State). Don't use the belt clip; you'll be ridiculed.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, still have my K&E and still know how to use it.

Posts: 201 | Location: Boyce, VA | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
I had one of the log log decitrig models. I have no idea where it is and wouldn't remember how to use it if I found it.

Posts: 1456 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Yep. I carried a Dietzgen for 4 years in engineering school (Miss State). Don't use the belt clip; you'll be ridiculed.
I attached a leather bootlace to the bottom end of the case and tied it to my thigh (for quick calculations). Smile

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I could do simple math in my youth, but I have no idea how to do it now.

My father has a couple of very nice ones. He was a machinist, and turns 90 this weekend. He had all of those skills back in the day. I'm not sure he remembers how to use it any more either. Sharp as a tack, but adopted calculators as soon as he could get his hands on one.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
You made me go looking for my old K&E. Couldn't find it. Can't remember the last time I laid eyes on it.

I would have to refresh on how to use it.

For those who want their brains to hurt:

http://sliderulemuseum.com/SR_Course.htm

In middle school (a bit ago) a teacher had a huge slide rule mounted over the black board. About 10 feet long and a foot or two wide. The parts moved and he would set up the "big" slide rule to show various calculations.

I lost track of that old decimal point a lot.

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lost mine years ago, but I think I could still work one with a little practice.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Almost 50 and I have no idea. I can't math...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I learned how to use one as a kid and they taught that in class in high school. We also were taught typing on ribbon typewriters and carbon paper.
The real trick is to have enough of an understanding to know where the decimal point goes.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yep. Undergrad physics. Gave mine to my engineer son for shits and giggles.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post