SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SigForum Security Threat??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SigForum Security Threat?? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I would be uncomfortable if you are logging in on open/unsecured wifi. If you're home on your secured and encrypted wifi, I think the threat and resultant risk are very low. If you ever get that on your banking website, I'd be outrageously concerned.

In fact, as a PSA for Cyber Security Month (which it is), I'll add, please get 2 factor authentication turned on for all of your financial web resources.

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
If you ever get that on your banking website, I'd be outrageously concerned.

If you ever get that on your banking, any other financial, on-line store, in short: Any site with which you'll exchange sensitive information: DO NOT CONTINUE. Period!

That is why one should never disable that check. It's there for a reason.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
If you ever get that on your banking website, I'd be outrageously concerned.

If you ever get that on your banking, any other financial, on-line store, in short: Any site with which you'll exchange sensitive information: DO NOT CONTINUE. Period!

That is why one should never disable that check. It's there for a reason.

Agreed 101%. That's is an excellent clarification.

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Read rackrack's post here, and mine that follows:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...780064134#6780064134

There is absolutely no point in posting in this forum about how clever you are to detect a problem on some other website, explicitly spelling out virus names and the like. Keep that shit out of here. This is the result of such nonsense.

No posts about any scam emails you receive, or any websites you go to wherein you detected an issue. Keep it out of here. As soon as I see any such thing, it's going to be deleted.

Do not under any circumstances post the text of any email you receive that's clearly a scam. Do not without permission from forum management put the word "SCAM" in the subject line of your thread or mention any virus names.

Good grief, just leave us out of it. We're here just minding our own business. Do not involve us in any such things. The thread I deleted was talking about a threat on some other website, and it mentioned virus file names and why the person who started the thread felt the need to post it here, I have no idea. Leave us out of it, completely.

Never again do I want to see such things here.

The result of all of this? Normally at this time on a Sunday morning, there would be more members and guests online. I can only assume that some people are now avoiding the forum due to this Goddamned nonsense which has nothing to do with us.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of logrusmaster
posted Hide Post
That makes sense.

Essentially someone triggered a false positive by copy/pasting something that made Norton blow a gasket.

-------------------------
If not me then who? If not now then when?

Posts: 618 | Location: Earth | Registered: August 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I got the same warning here, the S&W forum, the Ruger forum, and a couple of other gun forums. I'm not sure if I got it on the Glock forum but if you check "remember my password, it won't come up again.

The warning first came up on this forum after I used CCleaner to clean up some files. I know that this site did not become unsafe overnight so I don't worry about it.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hawkins
posted Hide Post
quote:

Please don't do this; that's not a per-site disabling, it will disable that for ALL sites. I think you'd want to be warned if your banking site suddenly turned HTTPS off for password permission.

I work in cybersecurity. I know that this site doesn't use HTTPS to secure logins or browsing, and really wish it would. But that's the admin decision and ce la vie.

That said, (and this isn't a dig at this site in particular at all): Don't use the same password here and anywhere else. In fact, never reuse passwords between sites, ever. Finding people who reuse passwords is a top hacker technique. There are tons of leaked passwords available for sale on the darkweb; perhaps you heard about Yahoo recently. If you used the same password on yahoo as you did on Google or your bank, then neither of those are safe.*

Figure out a password management scheme:
- You can trust an online service like LastPass.
- You can trust a standalone program like Keepass, and figure out a syncing solution (this is my preference)
- You can (yes, i'm being 100% serious) write down all your passwords on a piece of paper and leave it at home. Unless someone breaks into your house, your list is safe from any hackers.

* password hashing and salting makes this not 100% straight forward in all cases, just picking an 'in the news' example.

--------------
July NoVA Sigshoot: Shooter's Paradise; 0900 (9AM) 23July05

My Signature is almost a decade out of date!

Posts: 4686 | Location: VA | Registered: April 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
When it started doing it for me yesterday it said there was one computer threat. Now it says seven threats.

It's really frigging annoying popping up every time I open a new page.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post