SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dandelion Wine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dandelion Wine Login/Join 
Picture of HighZonie
posted
I had a flashback this morning walking my dogs in the park.

We passed a spot with a large crop of dandelions and I recalled from my early youth that an old man used to come by our neighborhood in the summer and pick our dandelions for free. My mother told me that he used the flowers to make dandelion wine.

I never thought about it again until my flashback this morning. I checked the internet and found that there really is such a thing. It is apparently of Celtic origin, and here is a recipe for it: https://www.allrecipes.com/rec...2202/dandelion-wine/

Has anyone ever been crazy enough to try this stuff? What does it taste like?

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never tried it, but as a home brewer the key to making it drinkable would be yeast selection and controlling the fermentation temperature to be at the ideal range for the yeast.

Otherwise, you are just fermenting sugar with some dandelion flowers and citrus to add an herbal-citrus flavor component.

Out of curiosity I looked up the temp ranges of a few wine yeasts and they are pretty broad (as compared to Ale yeast). I would ignore the recipe saying to pitch the yeast at 90 deg and let it come down to room temp instead. Room temp will be in the range of all the wine yeast I Looked at. Hotter temps can cause the yeast to throw off-flavors. Belgian yeasts are brewed warmer on purpose, that is where their funky flavor profile comes from.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
If you want a good headache, ferment yeast hot, in the 90's, w/ lots of nutrient deficient fermentables like cane or beet sugar.

I would sub honey (max of 3-4 lbs/gal.), ferment at the low end temp for the yeast, and use staggered nutrient additions.
That recipe looks like it was written for the prison yard.
"Age the wine at least a week for best flavor" Lol. Big Grin

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
My dad use to make my brother and I pick bushel baskets of dandylines to make wine. It was the nastiest tasting brew he ever made. What a waste of good yellow flowers.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The thought of drinking wine made out of flowers makes me want to spew.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Circa 1973-78 I was a fan of a little rural winery on the banks of the Clackamas River, "Bonded Winery #17" that had been licensed for a couple generations. They had periodic eclectic selection of wines that at the time I enjoyed considerably.

The Dandelion Wine was one I considered either a failure or basically so foreign to my tastes I only shared part of one bottle with a friend. While memory may be in error, I thought they used a different part of the plant there, than the flower.

Others such as Rhubarb Wine were spectacular. Various berry versions all had their fan base.

Their ELDERBERRY wine was a pure psychedelic masterpiece.

I learned of the passing of the gent running the business and eventual closure about 1980 or so.

It was a true historic loss to a large circle of their customer base.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thought this thread would be about the Ray Bradbury novel.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Do you want dirty hippies? Because that's how you get dirty hippies.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
No dirty hippies, kill the weeds

Posts: 4012 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Swordknives
posted Hide Post
Interesting, id love to try some.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Posts: 1401 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine used to make it in the late 60s. It was bitter nasty tasting stuff but we didn’t care because it was cheap. We drank this stuff and cheap beer, and Boonsfarm or Bali Hai wine from the store was about $1.00 a bottle. (We mixed this with dandelion wine to make it taste better). We would crank up our guitar amps, drink wine and smoke cigarettes till morning. Good times back in them days. Thanks for the reminder.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live near the Amana Colonies in Iowa and they have in the German traditions made dandelion, rhubarb (piestengel) and many berry wines. Some of them are quite good, the rhubarb and elderberry come to mind, but they are very sweet. Ladies tend to like them and they certainly are not on my keto diet. I know my grandparents used to drink some homebrewed versions as an after-dinner drink. These were heavy sweet wines similar to a port.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2887 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was quite common decades ago. There have even been several songs written about it. It is an acquired taste, or should I say, a taste I never acquired.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
We drank this stuff and cheap beer, and Boonsfarm or Bali Hai wine from the store was about $1.00 a bottle.

Ah yes, the 60s & "Chateau Boones Farm".....

don't forget the 'Vino Fino'.....at 76 cents/gallon it was overpriced.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I've tried it and discovered that I'm partial to the grape kind.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad who turned 96 this year used to make 5 gallon batches of wine when he was younger. He would take me with him to pick blackberries and raspberries for both wine and to put some in the freezer. But it seems to me everyones favorite was the dandelion wine he made from those yellow flowers. I still have his recipe books but I haven't made any in probably 20 or 25 years.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My grandfather used to make it. His entire family were alcoholics, unfortunately. My mother told me she was transporting it once to a relative's house (~1965 time frame) and some spilled on her seat. She said it partially melted the vinyl! When I was in my teens my grandfather gave me the recipe. I tired to make it once but failed. I do remember it had oranges in it, in addition to dandelions.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
People used to make salads with the young, tender dandelion leaves believe it or not.

Saw something about how they were so prized for this that people (1600's-1800's I think) used to tear out grass to plant the dammed things! Now we go crazy doing the opposite.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Recall that it had a purgative effect.

Posts: 5693 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Thought this thread would be about the Ray Bradbury novel.

As did I.

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post