SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone use a VPN Private Internet Service?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use a VPN Private Internet Service? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

The VPN tunnel is at a lower level in the network scheme of things than the application layer. This means when connected to a VPN tunnel, all packets from your machine travel through the tunnel. It is app-agnostic. So your AX app would work just the same as your browser, as your ftp app, as any other app needing Internet access.

Thank you

Posts: 767 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that another great use of VPN software is to bypass any annoying local router policies.

For example, I was visiting my mom who's in a nursing home. Guess what? They block connections to web sites related to weapons... so I couldn't connect to SigForum.

TunnelBear to the rescue!

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
My Dad is visiting from NJ, and wants to watch a local Philadelphia sports broadcast using his Comcast on the Go, but it won't let him because he is out of his area.

Is there a way to change the IP address to reflect a South Jersey IP address using a VPN service?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Protonmail.com for secure encrypted email. They are rolling out ProtonVPN now as a package deal. The company is located in Switzerland. The do not monitor or keep logs of any kind. I’m not sure if their VPN works on iOS or not yet, though it’s coming. Email works great and I’ll be trying their VPN product soon.

If you are using gmail or any email service provided by your ISP you should stop.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...brings up a larger question :

do ISPs routinely log / keep / maintain a particular account's (IP address) internet habits 'on file'?

On the one hand you think it would be useful info from a marketing standpoint.

On the other hand - that's a lot of info to maintain over time.

I agree you seem to be trading one potential hack for another. Good thread though. I am learning more - have always used one at work but not for private use.

-------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

do ISPs routinely log / keep / maintain a particular account's (IP address) internet habits 'on file'?

I agree you seem to be trading one potential hack for another. Good thread though. I am learning more - have always used one at work but not for private use.

Are you kidding? Hell yes. They make money by selling that data and by using it for marketing purposes.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ The vast majority keep your data, at least long enough to use it themselves or sell it.

The logs are small, often just text files or database records, and data storage is cheap.

Only a few intentionally don't and explicitly say so, such as (supposedly) some VPN firms.

The real task is finding those who don't, and trusting that what you've been told is true.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
My Dad is visiting from NJ, and wants to watch a local Philadelphia sports broadcast using his Comcast on the Go, but it won't let him because he is out of his area.

Is there a way to change the IP address to reflect a South Jersey IP address using a VPN service?
Yes.

When I lived in Calgary, my friend was also an expat. Netflix, Amazon, [insert any US based company here that does business in Canada] sucks in Canada as it's scaled back 90%.

My friend set up two wireless routers at her place. One was for Canada through her ISP, and the other VPN tunneled into California and she used it for Amazon Prime Video/music, Netflix, etc.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Anybody use ExpressVPN?

A quick google search says it's top-notch, albeit a little more spendy than alternatives.

I use AppleTV a lot and it seems that this one is about the best for its use.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Avast VPN. You can choose to connect to servers distributed across the globe. There is a performance hit when using it so I don't use it for simple web browsing. I do turn it on when I am doing business or working for a client.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Anybody use ExpressVPN?

A quick google search says it's top-notch, albeit a little more spendy than alternatives.

I use AppleTV a lot and it seems that this one is about the best for its use.

I do. No complaints. I can’t help you with the AppleTV aspect though.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
When I do use it I use VYPRVPN .

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Yes.

When I lived in Calgary, my friend was also an expat. Netflix, Amazon, [insert any US based company here that does business in Canada] sucks in Canada as it's scaled back 90%.

My friend set up two wireless routers at her place. One was for Canada through her ISP, and the other VPN tunneled into California and she used it for Amazon Prime Video/music, Netflix, etc.

Is one VPN service better than another to do this? Which VPN service offers the most flexibility on tunneling into a specific geographic area in the US?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
On work trips / when traveling i use one on my phone & other devices.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

Been living under a rock? Heck ya they store and save your activities then sell them to make. $$$$

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yes.

Is one VPN service better than another to do this? Which VPN service offers the most flexibility on tunneling into a specific geographic area in the US?

That's a good question. I'd be curious to know which allow that. Typically you just choose which country the server is in. Be cool if you could choose a specific region of a country.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
I use NordVPN. So far happy with their service. Tons of servers, even double vpn connections for the truly paranoid(or for sites/apps that block certain vpn connections). I think I paid $76 for 2 years.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Been living under a rock? Heck ya they store and save your activities then sell them to make. $$$$

Everything I read says : maybe.

But like anything else it depends on various factors.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...t-privacy/100015356/

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.cd565446ff54

Obviously individual websites / search engines do (cookies). The ISPs it's not cut and dried.

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Here’s what it looks like for VPNSecure:

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yes.

That's a good question. I'd be curious to know which allow that. Typically you just choose which country the server is in. Be cool if you could choose a specific region of a country.
The VPN service I've used for years does not allow region selection just country selection. When I watched movies on my computer / iPad I had a different selection on Prime and Netflix when I VPN'd in than I did if I used my smart TV that just went thru my ISP.

My friend's then fiance (now hubby) worked in Silicon Valley. I think it was a DIY VPN, and he talked her through it on the phone.

Here is a Lifehacker article that links to a massive spreadsheet of commercial VPNs. You'll likely find your answer here.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post