SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Duct tape alone can't fix everything
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duct tape alone can't fix everything Login/Join 
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted
I have a Yardman mower with a Honda motor bought new about 14 years ago. The motor is awesome, always starts on one pull still doesn't use any oil. The deck is a cheap piece of shit, it has been rusting out for years, I just covered up the holes with duct tape to get me by. This summer it has bee n shaking around more than ever so I knew the end was near. After about 200 ft of mowing today the last pieces of rusty metal gave out, the blade hit the ground and that's all she wrote. After I peeled a dozen layers of duct tape the pics are what I found. So do I buy a new mower (I won't ask about electrics), look for a good deck because the Honda motor is still good or try baling wire? Smile

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Damn..... Your deck is missing!

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Duct tape is very useful, but doesn't fix everything. It wasn't duct tape - I think it was some sort of electrical tape - but I once got a car in to charge the A/C and there was a hole in a condenser tube that had tape wrapped around it. A condenser is under some 75-100 psi even with the A/C not engaged; with the system running, 150-250. I refused it. Had I not spotted it, it would have blown out, which is wasteful of expensive refrigerant and dangerous if my face had been near it. Another time somebody tried it on a rusted-through steel brake line. Nope, didn't work on that either.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Possible to get a replacement deck?

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
ok...maybe not duct tape but some sheet metal and rivets should fix it just fine Wink

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Damn. That setup is ready for liftoff.

Time to treat yourself to a new one. I’d keep the engine though.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Get a Honda mower. The xenon deck lasts as long as the motor.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24074 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ummm.... looks like you got your moneys worth out of it!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Get a Honda mower. The xenon deck lasts as long as the motor.

Bought this earlier this year
https://powerequipment.honda.c...ers/models/hrx217hya

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
A little Bondo and you should be fine Smile

Posts: 1970 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
JB Weld & good to go

Posts: 592 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Ask PASig:

Finally Bought A New Mower, Winner: Honda HRX217
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...940054074#8940054074

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24074 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Find the lawn mower repair guy in your area. He will, undoubtedly, have a dozen or more mowers in his junk pile that are like new but with blown engines, offer him $10 for the best one. For a few $ more, he will swap engines for you. Do check the bolt patterns, they are not universal. A local commercial landscaper could be a good resource as well, but his "parts" will be in much worse shape.

Posts: 6459 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen anything like that since my Dad bought a new 1977 Chevy Cheyenne in MI, rusted out in less than two years.

Get yourself a shiny new mower and sell that engine

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I like my toes, so no way I’d use that. Considering what’s at stake if something goes wrong, I recommend just getting a new mower.

They aren’t that expensive. Are you emotionally attached to the motor or something?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
Bought this earlier this year
https://powerequipment.honda.c...ers/models/hrx217hya

I've been trying to buy one of those HRX217HYAs. They're sold out or backordered everywhere.

Lots of places have the HRX217VYA (identical except with the old style "select drive" transmission) but the hydrostatic transmission version like yours is currently unobtanium.

I wonder if there's some sort of supply chain/production issue for the hydrostatic models.

If they're not back in stock by the end of the month, I'm just going to have to settle for a VYA model.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Find the lawn mower repair guy in your area. He will, undoubtedly, have a dozen or more mowers in his junk pile that are like new but with blown engines, offer him $10 for the best one. For a few $ more, he will swap engines for you. Do check the bolt patterns, they are not universal. A local commercial landscaper could be a good resource as well, but his "parts" will be in much worse shape.

And then hose off the underside of the mower deck before you put the mower away. Every time would be best, but I suppose it can be done every third or fourth time, just don’t let the cut, packed grass to stay under there for a long time.

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I like my toes, so no way I’d use that. Considering what’s at stake if something goes wrong, I recommend just getting a new mower.

They aren’t that expensive. Are you emotionally attached to the motor or something?

You can love your mower, just don't *love* your mower. Big Grin

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Old license plates and pop rivets should work. Then a few bumper stickers for flair. Red Green would approve.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Thanks to every one concerned. A different deck was the the best choice. I found a good deck with the same 3 bolt Honda pattern for $20 so I went for it. I had to do some modifications on the handles and drill a few new holes, but here is my new push mower.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hberttmank,

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post