SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Water Heater Problem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water Heater Problem Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I don't know what's going on with my water heater (electric).

Diminished capacity. It happens to many of us as the years pile on.

When opening a hot water tap, the water is just as hot as it ever was, but the hot water runs out quickly, and turns lukewarm. The 40 gallon unit is starting to behave like a 15 or 20 gallon one, with slow recovery time.

I am not positive of the age, but it is somewhere around fifteen years old, which I guess would make it around 105 in dog years.

Due to age (84 next month) and medical condition I am very mobility limited, so it is not practical for me to try to troubleshoot the problem.

I know that there are some members with knowledge in this area. What do you suggest?
If it needs to be replaced, is there any guidance re brand, model, source, etc? Again, given my age, I would probably be looking for something that is cost-effective in the short term, rather than something that will give great service for many years.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Have you periodically drained the water heater over the years? If not, it may be worth hooking a hose to the valves at the bottom, rolling it out to somewhere it can drain some possibly gunky water without causing a big problem, closing off the supply line, and opening the drain valve.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If electric, the heating elements are probably corroded/covered & not transferring heat properly and/or the tank is filled with sediment. Usually have an upper & lower element, once 1 gets compromised, you start having the issues you describe.

At 15yrs, you are on borrowed time, probably not worth the service call fee to troubleshoot if it's going to be replaced anyway - might as well have them bring a new one. I'd call around & see who wants the business. If the estimate is 4-digits, hang up. HD or Lowes might have a deal on install too (not sure if they still do that).
The original AO Smith 50gal lasted 14yrs in my house before it developed a pinhole seep around one of the tank bungs (thermostat, if I remember right, might have been lower element). The AO smith from Lowes that replaced it has been fine for 2.5yrs. I think it was $700-ish & mid-upper tier in quality, 10yr tank warranty. I could have saved 2-300 on lower cost units & probably not sacrificed much. I noticed the leak on a sat evening & didn't want a soaked floor.....

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
At 15 years, it's well past time for a new one.

Not worth troubleshooting such an old unit. Just replace it.

quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Have you periodically drained the water heater over the years? If not, it may be worth hooking a hose to the valves at the bottom, rolling it out to somewhere it can drain some possibly gunky water without causing a big problem, closing off the supply line, and opening the drain valve.

My plumber has said in the past that if you have an old unit and haven't been draining it regularly for the past many years, it's not worth starting now. There will be enough sediment built up that it likely won't drain anyway. And if it does, then draining out the existing sediment at the bottom can induce leaks.

quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
I'd call around & see who wants the business. If the estimate is 4-digits, hang up.

Very low 4 digits is not uncommon, depending on model, region of the country, and install location.

I paid $1050 installed for a nice higher end gas Rheem unit last year, and that was a good deal comparatively.

But a lower end electric unit, with a straightforward install with easy access, can be had for mid 3 digits.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I don’t hold much hope, however you might try draining the unit completely and refill it. Sounds like sediment buildup. I had to have the water heater replaced, they installed a Bradford White. I also instituted the policy of tapping off a gallon of water once a month.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Sounds like one element is shot. Shutting off power, unwiring the element, and testing for continuity is the procedure.

If you discover a lot of corrosion round the element after pulling the cover, replacement might not be a bad idea, as 15 years is "pretty good" for an electric W/H.

The element is $20 - $30 but a basic generic might be $15. It is either screw-in or bolt-on. The screw-in is replaced with a fairly universal element socket.

Yes, the water has to be drained out. You'd also want to remove faucet aerators prior to flushing out the tank and returning it to service.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
With that much sediment, just draining it isn’t going to help. It’s replacement time. Go with Bradford White.

Since the water comes out and is hot it’s not an element. If an element was out it would be warm.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
At 15 years, it's well past time for a new one.

My plumber has said in the past that if you haven't been draining it regularly, don't bother trying now. There will be enough sediment built up that it likely won't drain anyway. And if it does, then draining out the existing sediment at the bottom can induce leaks.

This was the worst part of the swap for me - the drain was plugged. 50gal of water + tank in basement is heavy & takes a long time to syphon out.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
As others have noted: At fifteen years it's time to consider replacing it, anyway. Since it's giving you trouble it's a no-brainer IMO.

Sorry, I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I am due for a replacement as mine is about 12 yrs old. Plumber came out a quoted me about 1500.00 for a Bradford White 50 gallon and to haul out the old one.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
We have had 3 water heaters in our 42 years @ our house. The current one is about 9 years old. 52gal tall electric units.
I know there are lots of things relevant to how long they can last including water quality, maintenance,location etc. But if you've had over 10 years of trouble free use I would be looking into a replacement.
I have been fortunate to have a trustworthy plumber replace mine. Last one is an A. O. Smith unit, I think U.S. made back then, don't know about current models.
Cost was about $700.00 installed. Not cheap but definitely not something I want to deal with, at any age!
Good luck with this happy home owners endeavor! Smile

Posts: 789 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I was gonna replace mine at 15 years, just as a maintenance thing. At 14 years it floated to the top of the bowl.
And it’s in the attic (I know, I know, but there’s a story to that)
Luckily I caught it in time an no real damage.
So let me just pile on with the replace it crowd.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I was gonna replace mine at 15 years, just as a maintenance thing. At 14 years it floated to the top of the bowl.
And it’s in the attic (I know, I know, but there’s a story to that)
Luckily I caught it in time with no real damage.
So let me just pile on with the replace it crowd.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Looks like the overwhelming majority vote is replace, not repair. Makes sense to me.

Now, to find somebody who will do it, in the Apopka / Altamonte Springs area (adjacent to Orlando).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
As already pointed out, you no doubt have considerable build up in the tank. 15 years is 100 in water heater years. Best to replace and you will no doubt get a much more efficient unit that will recover faster and be more energy efficient.
See this video on what's inside the old heaters.

https://youtu.be/kAzKts6Wp1Q

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask around about plumbers and decide what brand you want. Do not use big box retailers. I replaced both of mine last year with 50 gallon capacity. They are both more efficent.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Wish I was close - I'd come over and help you replace it yourself.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Florida, Super hard water, I'd say it's toast...

https://www.modernpi.com/

Call them and at least let them quote you, they are not the least expensive but they do good work, leave the area clean and show up on time...

They have done some good work for us on a couple of projects.

407 327 6000

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Ask around about plumbers and decide what brand you want. Do not use big box retailers. I replaced both of mine last year with 50 gallon capacity. They are both more efficent.

Absolutely deal with a trusted local plumber. Get a few over the phone rough estimates and then research the company. Or maybe check with neighbors for recommendations. A good plumber can guide you as to what is best in your situation, do the install in accordance with local regulations and usually haul off the old unit if your trash company won't pick it up curbside. Most will offer a senior discout. Don't get involved with Angies List, HomeAdvisor or other such services. I've never been impressed with the companies they put forward. Yelp is pretty good though.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Dip tubes deteriorate, could be the problem. It's a fairly inexpensive, easy swap out.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Br...15f12dda6004ad746f69

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post