SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sure, it has failed everywhere else, but Seattle will be different -soda/sugared beverage “fee”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sure, it has failed everywhere else, but Seattle will be different -soda/sugared beverage “fee” Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It's NEVER about health, or safety. It's all about MONEY !!!!!

Here where I live we have "Red Light Cameras" because they're so concerned about our safety. If that's the case, why did they shorten the yellow lights that are watched by the red light cameras? Hmmmmm.........

We're now taxed with a "bag fee", meaning, if you go to a supermarket and purchase $300 dollars worth of food, they're gonna bang you .05 cents for every bag you use to carry those groceries out of the store. They claim it's for "saving the environment" but we all know it's bullshit. It's just another way to pick the pockets of the tax payers.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
At .05 cents a bag I would probably just hire an illegal to run individual items back to my car for $10 an hour. It would contribute to the economy AND reduce plastic use. Win win.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
We're now taxed with a "bag fee", meaning, if you go to a supermarket and purchase $300 dollars worth of food, they're gonna bang you .05 cents for every bag you use to carry those groceries out of the store. They claim it's for "saving the environment" but we all know it's bullshit. It's just another way to pick the pockets of the tax payers.

I'm smuggling bags. My daughter takes them and uses them to shop.
Funny, if you use those reusable grocery bags, they have to survive 300 trips to the store before the CO2 impact is offset. Reuseable bags last longer in the enviorment.

https://www.marketwatch.com/st...n-plastic-2014-01-09

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
These idiots haven’t been paying attention to Philly, have they?

Philly put a 1.5 cent per ounce on EVERYTHING, regular and diet and it’s just hit a year and the revenues being brought in are way, way under projections, who’d a thunk it? Convenience stores and supermarkets alike have seen huge drop offs in soda sales while those stores just outside the Philadelphia city limits have seen huge sales increase.

It’s almost like liberals don’t want to understand basic, community college or even high school level Econ 101!

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s almost like liberals don’t want to understand basic, community college or even high school level Econ 101!

It is not that they don't want to understand basic logic, they want to force their own. Through laws and regulation they will attempt to force their will on everyone. They gave up on trying to make economics work long ago. It's all about power now.

Force of law. Why do you think democrats become lawyers and politicians instead of scientists or engineers? To gain control. They can't succeed any other way.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I haven’t found the original source (because I am too lazy to look it up), but I’ve seen and heard it mentioned multiple times that porcelain coffee mugs must be used 3,000 times rather than single use cups to offset the environmental cost OD their production and use. Are you more concerned about filling up landfills or using water washing cups?

Prius drivers would be much less smug if the considered the environmental cost of producing their vehicles and properly disposing of them after use.

Everything has an impact, and folks often get very excited about one part of the impact without considering the full pictures.

Posts: 6917 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
I love that Costco is making very clear why the price increased and shows it as a separate itemized amount. Just like they did when voters kicked the state out of the liquor business.

Touché on even saying, “Here is where you can buy this and not get raped”

https://mobile.twitter.com/Dee...423754694656/photo/1

Wow, that makes me like Costco more.

quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
And the irony...

16 oz. Pepsi, 200 calories 56g sugar gets .28 tax addd on

16 oz. Starbucks Carmel Frappuccino, 420 calories 66g sugar no tax cause it has milk in it and is therefore “healthy”...

LMMFAO. I lived there for a year so have some experience. I don’t think people who’ve never lived there quite understand how much coffee Seattle folks drink. I’d go to a theater in Woodinville with coffe shops on either side of it and another one in the theater itself. My coworkers would go to Starbucks two or three times a day. Once downtown my GF showed me that first Starbucks, the first ever one, and made a big deal out if it. I laughed and asked where the dunkin doughnuts was, as I preferred their coffee. The irony you just posted was just the tip of the iceberg for me. I made a lateral work move up there and within 2 weeks knew I had made a grave mistake. It would take me 59 more weeks to gtfo. One of the best days of my life was the 18 wheeler finished loading my stuff. I walked to the condo office and turned in my keys. Gave them ladies hugs, jumped in the car and drove 2000+ miles home, as happy as I’ve ever been in my life to escape all that hypocrisy. A good friend I made up there, made a point to this day I will never forget about Seattle. You are either on the kool-aid, or you are not. I was not. Just a square peg trying to fit into a round hole, and it didn’t take. Liberal hell on Earth.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:

It is not that they don't want to understand basic logic, they want to force their own. Through laws and regulation they will attempt to force their will on everyone. They gave up on trying to make economics work long ago. It's all about power now.

Force of law. Why do you think democrats become lawyers and politicians instead of scientists or engineers? To gain control. They can't succeed any other way.
^^^100% this.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post

Locally headquartered Costco is doing their best to let the city know their thoughts on it. Even pointing shoppers to where they can buy it for less, outside the city.

It’s an absolute embarrassment. What a joke that city is. It’s so close to me, yet so far.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Will they make buying soda outside the city limits and bringing it back in "bootlegging" next? Roll Eyes NYC has done that with cigarettes.

Seattle is yet another example of a large population center driving (and screwing up) the politics of the rest of the state.

Posts: 27947 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The amazing part is Amazon Costco Microsoft and Starbucks drives the entire economy there. How long before they take their Teslas and leave?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8351 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
At .05 cents a bag I would probably just hire an illegal to run individual items back to my car for $10 an hour. It would contribute to the economy AND reduce plastic use. Win win.

The carts are free, no?

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flyboyrv6
posted Hide Post
The Seattle law reminds me of one of my favorite expressions for these kind of actions... "Poop for brains"

Posts: 828 | Registered: January 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striperkid:
It's NEVER about health, or safety. It's all about MONEY !!!!!

Here where I live we have "Red Light Cameras" because they're so concerned about our safety. If that's the case, why did they shorten the yellow lights that are watched by the red light cameras? Hmmmmm.........

20 for a penny?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Describe the liberal law makers of Seattle in one word: Morons

Describe the voters putting them in office in one word: ^^^^^

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Just looked at the page for the Seattle city council. Each council member has 4 people on staff. Talk about a waste of money.

Posts: 6349 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:

Locally headquartered Costco is doing their best to let the city know their thoughts on it. Even pointing shoppers to where they can buy it for less, outside the city.

It’s an absolute embarrassment. What a joke that city is. It’s so close to me, yet so far.

I love how Costco is putting Seattle on front street. Good on them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
There is no limit for the temptation to tax, tax and tax some more in Seattle.

I like the Liberals favorite mantra for something like this,"It's for the children". Wink

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
The amazing part is Amazon Costco Microsoft and Starbucks drives the entire economy there. How long before they take their Teslas and leave?

This area is financially buffered / protected because of those 3 companies. The economy around here is distorted and isolated from reality. There's a good chance the city counsel reflects the majority of voters.

These are the people who want to ban your guns and lock you up. A "friend" from West Seattle told me that. They live in this narrow slice of a prosperous world where this fantasy is real.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
If Costco sells a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper at 10 dollars and Seattle wants 7.50 in extra tax, how did they figure the manufacturer was suppose to absorb that and not pass it on.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post