SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sure, it has failed everywhere else, but Seattle will be different -soda/sugared beverage “fee”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sure, it has failed everywhere else, but Seattle will be different -soda/sugared beverage “fee” Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
1.75 cents per fluid ounce, effectively making a 40-80% tax.

Of course, city plans on making $15 million a year for social programs but oblivious to the real world consequences of it closing more businesses and driving other purchases out of the city.

http://www.kiro7.com/news/loca...-drink-tax/677490924

Only 1/6 and people starting to complain. City’s response is that it is collected from beverage distributors and was not intended to be passed to consumer. Economic geniouses at work.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137...ols-failed-econ-101/

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I smell a camel's nose under the tent. What products are next that need to be taxed to protect the citizenry?

I'm sure the outlying areas will see a real boom in sugary drink sales. Shocking.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
I smell a camel's nose under the tent. What products are next that need to be taxed to protect the citizenry?

I'm sure the outlying areas will see a real boom in sugary drink sales. Shocking.

Well last year it was guns and ammo. Or was it the year before that? In any case, yeah, Seattle instituted a fatty tax on guns and ammo, saying that they would then use the bazillions of dollars to fund "gun violence research." Then they didn't want to release the numbers on how much they'd actually taken in, in order to protect the privacy of the gunshops (da fuq?). Turns out they didn't make much at all, and in fact, I believe they spent more in court defending their bullshit than they actually brought in.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Only 1/6 and people starting to complain. City’s response is that it is collected from beverage distributors and was not intended to be passed to consumer. Economic geniouses at work.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137...ols-failed-econ-101/

It's typical liberal ignorance. 'Stick it to the evil corporations, we need to tax them MORE!!!'

Uh, who do you think pays any increase in corporate taxes? Do you think they just take it from shareholders or pass along any increase to the cost of the product?

So stupid it hurts.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I love that Costco is making very clear why the price increased and shows it as a separate itemized amount. Just like they did when voters kicked the state out of the liquor business.

Touché on even saying, “Here is where you can buy this and not get raped”

https://mobile.twitter.com/Dee...423754694656/photo/1

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no limit for the temptation to tax, tax and tax some more in Seattle.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
not intended to be passed to consumer.

Lol this is my favorite part. Who they think is going to pay? I'll give them a hint....it won't be the business owner!

There must be a separate liberal macro and micro economics course in college because none of mine mentioned things like this....

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Hahahahah, love seeing the liberals fuck it up yet again.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
And the irony...

16 oz. Pepsi, 200 calories 56g sugar gets .28 tax addd on

16 oz. Starbucks Carmel Frappuccino, 420 calories 66g sugar no tax cause it has milk in it and is therefore “healthy”...

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Isn't the Seattle area some sort of coffee mecca? I was out near Tacoma once at Ft Lewis and there were coffee stands everywhere. I'm sure some assemblyman carved out that niche for them. Screw Coke and Pepsi, the baristas are peddling health!

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
And the irony...

16 oz. Pepsi, 200 calories 56g sugar gets .28 tax addd on

16 oz. Starbucks Carmel Frappuccino, 460 calories 66g sugar no tax cause it has milk in it and is therefore “healthy”...

How high would the flames reach if they were to implement this tax to coffee drinks as well?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of idiots. Seattle-ians are getting exactly the government they deserve.

And, they've already approved spending money they don't even have yet:

Programs that the City Council has approved funding ($5,658,494) for in 2018
already include:

Fresh Bucks, Food Action Plan ($2,404,359)
13th Year Promise Scholarship ($1,381,885)
Innovation High School, Summer Learning, Summer Melt ($1,004,500)
Our Best ($189,000)
Parent-Child Home Program ($525,000)
Food Banks ($153,750)
Proposed investments ($4,120,639) awaiting review by CAB in Spring 2018:

Farm to Table
Fresh Bucks to Go
Food Banks
Out-of-School Time Nutrition Program
Early learning programs

In addition to these investments, revenue from the new sugary drinks tax will also support evaluation work ($500,000) to track the tax’s effectiveness and impacts, job retraining support ($500,000) for those employed within the local distribution network for the beverage industry and general administrative support ($1,082,000) in city government.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Originally, they tried to include diet soda as well, but that part was tossed once the pitchfork shortage started...

posted Hide Post
Does beer get an exemption? Under the bill is a rum and coke healthy or not?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
What a bunch of idiots. Seattle-ians are getting exactly the government they deserve.

And, they've already approved spending money they don't even have yet:

Programs that the City Council has approved funding ($5,658,494) for in 2018
already include:

Fresh Bucks, Food Action Plan ($2,404,359)
13th Year Promise Scholarship ($1,381,885)
Innovation High School, Summer Learning, Summer Melt ($1,004,500)
Our Best ($189,000)
Parent-Child Home Program ($525,000)
Food Banks ($153,750)
Proposed investments ($4,120,639) awaiting review by CAB in Spring 2018:

Farm to Table
Fresh Bucks to Go
Food Banks
Out-of-School Time Nutrition Program
Early learning programs

In addition to these investments, revenue from the new sugary drinks tax will also support evaluation work ($500,000) to track the tax’s effectiveness and impacts, job retraining support ($500,000) for those employed within the local distribution network for the beverage industry and general administrative support ($1,082,000) in city government.

LOL. Wait until they learn that static analysis doesn't work. Just because you sold eleventy billion ounces of soda last year doesn't mean that people won't simply shop for their soda outside of Seattle once the tax hits. This has happened literally everywhere these stupid punitive taxes have been implemented. But I'm sure this time it will be different Roll Eyes

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

LOL. Wait until they learn that static analysis doesn't work. Just because you sold eleventy billion ounces of soda last year doesn't mean that people won't simply shop for their soda outside of Seattle once the tax hits. This has happened literally everywhere these stupid punitive taxes have been implemented. But I'm sure this time it will be different Roll Eyes

And that’s the rub....

If I decide to go out of the city to buy my liquid poison, I may as well buy my other stuff on the same trip. Seattle doesn’t get the pop tax, also loses any other sales tax I would have paid.

Stores on the city sales go down, not just on pop but on everything else as well. Seattle loses BO taxes from those business. Smaller businesses close up shop, and they lose even more in taxes.

Prices already jacked up in restaurants due to the $15/hr bullshit and now this rises prices even more. Again, driving more business and eventually busnesses out of the city, losing more jobs, etc.

I imagine the next genius ideas they come up with will be a way to charge people a fee to leave the city, charge business a going out of business tax, set up “contraband checkpoints” coming into the city, and fine anyone in possession of more than 12 oz of sweetened beverage without being able to prove the appropriate taxes were paid.

posted Hide Post
I’m waiting for them to implement a ‘homeless’ sales or Homeless VAT tax on everything you buy in Seattle. I’m sure that’s coming. It’s just a matter of when

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

Not sure about a rum and Coke, but a Kaluha Sombrero or a White Russian is good to go! Dam Russians!

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
There must be a separate liberal macro and micro economics course in college because none of mine mentioned things like this....
Nope, just rampant, severe, mental illness. Where liberalism is the rule, reality is a very bad word.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

Not sure about a rum and Coke, but a Kaluha Sombrero or a White Russian is good to go! Dam Russians!

COLLUSION!!!!