SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can Windows 10 Auto Updates Be Disabled?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Windows 10 Auto Updates Be Disabled? Login/Join 
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Turn off Automatic Update (Specially For Home Users)

Press Windows Key + R

Type services.msc

Press Enter >

Find Windows Update

Double click on it to open Windows Update Properties.

Make sure you're on the General tab.

Choose Startup type Disabled.

Now look at the Service status. If it's running, stop it.

Finally, hit on the Apply > OK.

Pro can do it through the Group Policy Editor

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^

Yep, that’s it! Same thing I did on mine...

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately that's not going to block updates for long, that setting will be re enabled.

Even Win 10 Pro users who had Group policy edited to block updates got screwed:

https://www.computerworld.com/...day-shenanigans.html

There is nothing wrong with your computer, do not attempt to adjust the screen. We are controlling transmission....

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
This reason among others is precisely why I went Mac. Everything M/S has done sine Win.7 has been a total cluster. I hope you have good luck on doing what you want to.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I never understood why one would not want updates?
I have administered updates to hundreds and hundreds on computers and have had very, very few issues.
The main problem comes with the accumulation of updates when using an old version or applying "optional" drivers to ancient hardware.
Blaming updates is easy when you don't know anything.
YMMV

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I have administered updates to hundreds and hundreds on computers and have had very, very few issues.
The main problem comes with the accumulation of updates when using an old version or applying "optional" drivers to ancient hardware.
Blaming updates is easy when you don't know anything.
YMMV

I want to get updates, but want to pick the time when I get them. Hey, my computer and internet are idle now and not doing anything - I'll check Windows Updates and come back in 10 minutes or so and see if there are any to select to download and install (just like you can in W7). Pretty fucking simple request. Whoever came up with, we will just download updates regardless of what the computer is doing - is an idiot and seems detached from users (customers) of their products.

As far as a work computer, hello can't you see my computer is busy right now - how about you come back tonight when it is idle and download all this shit then - I'll reboot in the morning. It really shouldn't be this hard, must only make sense to an IT person.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Actually there IS a way, and it was e-mailed to me privately. I'm not going to post it here because it opens Pandora's Box if you don't know what you're doing and screw around with the wrong thing!
If unwilling to post it here, would you be willing to share it with me via email (check my profile)? If there truly is a way to manually shut off the update process, I'd love to know what it is.

Check out 2021BOSS302's post above... it's what I did. I just didn't want to post it as some folks have a tendency to go "playing around" with other stuff to "see what it does", and this is where you can really get your computer hosed up good. I didn't want fingers pointed back at me for opening this doorway for them when they shouldn't have been in there to begin with! Wink

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
This reason among others is precisely why I went Mac. Everything M/S has done sine Win.7 has been a total cluster. I hope you have good luck on doing what you want to.

Yeah... I still have my Win7 Professional full install disk somewhere around here. As soon as I find it I think I'm going to do a full install and go back to it because I'm sick of this "upgraded" horse puckey of an OS!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bronicabill,

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
<<snip>>

I WANT my computer kept updated, I just don't want Windows taking over my computer and making it unusable while I'm trying to use it! I want the computer to simply let me know when there are updates, but not start downloading and installing until I am ready for that to happen! Is that too much to ask?!? I really don't think so... Not all of us can afford new, state-of-art laptop computers every few years and have to do with what we have that still runs okay for us. If Windows makes those unusable, then Windows is worthless, not the computer!

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I see you guys download dilemma.

You can do it with local group policy change details here:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/...ling-windows-updates

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
When I returned to Texas in October, I discovered that my mother had a new desktop (HP Pavilion?) with Windows 10 installed which someone else had setup for her. She said that the computer was broken and had stopped working soon after it was bought in March.

I'm a UNIX type person currently using Macs, with minimal Windows experience, XP being the last version that I installed. After some hours of messing around, waiting, and learning about her computer, I discovered this auto update issue. I eventually "fixed" the computer by letting it update throughout the rest of the day. (The computer has 4GB of memory, which does not seem like much to me. Her Internet connection is a WISP that downloads from 4-7 Mbps.)

And sure enough, she soon reported that her computer had stopped working again. (She has learned enough now to blame the auto updates for disabling her computer.)

I'm not going to mess with it on Thanksgiving or even soon, but I'll follow this thread. I'm not going to spend much more time with the thing, but I'll look into the suggestions offered. If I can't get it to work with the suggestions offered, I'll sell a Colt Python, buy her an iMac, and manage it remotely. The Windows 10 computer will then be taken out back and shot up with my Mossberg 20 gauge bolt action shotgun that was given to me when I was 15 years old which I recently found in the guest room closet.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the best way of all is to upgrade to Windows 7 or XP Pro

they work just fine

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

they work just fine
XP worked just fine for my needs. Didn't even need Pro; the Home edition was fine.

Then DropBox said, "Homey don't play XP no more." That forced me to downgrade from XP, to Windows 7.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
It's always amazing to me that people have such a hard time with Windows PC's. I never do anything special with my laptops and I never seem to have problems with them. Just a suggestion, the second Tuesday of every month is Patch Tuesday. That is the scheduled date that Microsoft will make updates for PC's available. Expect your system to update within a day or so after that Tuesday. Leave your system on overnight so it will probably update Tuesday night/Wednesday morning when no one is using it. It may need a reboot in the morning but mine usually has rebooted itself already.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

Much thanks for that info about "Patch Tuesday" Paten!

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
No problem. Just FYI, there can be out of cycle patches as well, usually to patch critical security issues. I don't usually notice them.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bronicabill ,
if you UPDATE back to windows 7 and want to keep it , download a small 82kb program called NEVER10 . It will stop Microsoft from loading windows 10 when your back is turned . It was written by Steve Gibson and evidently works very well - it was free although I am not sure about now .
best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

they work just fine

XP Pro? WTF? Are you kidding me? This is a terribly uninformed suggestion. The OS is dead and has received exactly two emergency patches since it was obfuscated. XP, along with the software is runs, has many exploits.

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Good info here...thanks.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
It's always amazing to me that people have such a hard time with Windows PC's.

The Windows PC which someone under charges of embezzlement guided my mother into buying is a very low end HP All-in-One desktop. Specifically, an HP - 19.5" All-In-One - AMD E2-Series - 4GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - HP finish in snow white. (That model is a much more affordable iMac clone.)

I was told that the computer was expensive. I replied, "This thing could not have cost more than three or four hundred dollars." The Best Buy price was $380, but it has been marked down to $330. Also considering the 4-7 Mbps download WISP speed, now it not so amazing that the Windows 10 auto-updating disables the desktop periodically, is it? Smile

Thank you again for that Tuesday update info.