SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can Windows 10 Auto Updates Be Disabled?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Windows 10 Auto Updates Be Disabled? Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
I can barely use my old laptop anymore because Windows 10 is constantly downloading new updates, patches, and Windows Security updates, and it just drags this old machine down!

The thing runs fine and plenty fast when Windows isn't hogging all the resources, and I have the RAM maxed out. I started Win10 with a fresh install, reformatted HDD, and loaded the new OS and only the needed drivers, so there is no bloatware on the machine.

As I said, the machine is blazing fast when Windows isn't hogging resources, so I'd like to take back control of WHEN Windows GETS to hog those resources... like I used to have with Windows 7! (Oh how I wish I hadn't taken that "free" upgrade...)

So, if anyone can tell me how to turn off the stupid auto-updates in Windows 10 (not the Professional version) then I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!!!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Try messing with the following settings:

Start Button -> Settings -> Update and Security -> Advanced Options -> Choose When Updates Are Installed/Pause Updates.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
IIRC you can schedule when the updates take place.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
IIRC you can schedule when the updates take place.

Yeah, that, 'n' stuff.

H&K-Guy

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
On Windows 10 home, you can defer or delay updates. You may also be able to turn off auto-update in Group Policy, but I imagine that it would turn itself back on eventually.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Yes, you should be able to disable the update feature.
Not exactly sure how to do it but the way I would use it is the old style way.
From the Start or windows icon deployed you should see the setting or configuration icon right above the shutdown icon. Go to setting and from there or somewhere else if hou like, type/search for the control panel and there the windows update.
Another path is from the desktop bar, next to the clock you can usually see a flag. Click on the flag and it should open another window with the windows update link at the bottom left.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the best method depends, home or pro?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry missed that you said home.
Set your connection to metered is the best way.
Or set the hours to what works for you.

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Yes.

Start Button -> Settings -> Update and Security -> Advanced Options -> Choose When Updates Are Installed/Pause Updates.

H&K-Guy

That does not appear under Advanced Options on my computer... Eek

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Yes, you should be able to disable the update feature.
Not exactly sure how to do it but the way I would use it is the old style way.
<<snip>>

... should be able to.... Is the key phrase there! In the Home Edition, it looks like the ability to disable updates has been removed... you know, because Microsoft knows better what's good for me than I do! Roll Eyes

Bill R.
North Alabama

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
"Press Win-R, type gpedit.msc , press Enter. This brings up the Local Group Policy Editor. Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update. In the Options box, pull down the Configure automatic updating menu and select your preferred option."

This may not work on newer versions of W10H. ETA: in fact, now that you've agreed to the TaC of your new windows "Service", I have no idea if you can still install/enable Group Policy Editor in Win 10 Home.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not in home but in the latest home update you should find the delay feature so you can postpone them. Check settings>update and security> advanced options> pause updates

No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Yes.

H&K-Guy

That does not appear under Advanced Options on my computer... Eek

Well, then your version of Win10 is gay. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Maybe try these suggestions here.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Also, IIRC, Win 10 by default shares updates with other computers, meaning it can tell your PC/laptop to act as a server to other machines. I think it was optional to let it only update machines on your network, or even update other people's computers over the internet, or you can turn that shit off, which I did on several machines awhile back.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
You can indeed delay or postpone updates, until you opt to shut down or if for some reason you need to reboot. At that point MS will take over and insure your updates are applied regardless whether you opted to postpone them or not. I recently found this out the hard way.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bronicabill ,
do yourself a favour mate - download a copy of Linux Mint or Ubuntu , burn it to a dvd , test it out as a live cd beside Windows 10 . It is FREE , it does no data mining , lets YOU update as YOU wish , and just operates . The long term support version LTS gets security updates etc for 5 years .
You tube has literally hundreds of HOWTO videos so it is very easy to learn and there are thousands of FREE applications available for download that will replace any Windows apps that you use .
It will speed up old computers to a terrific degree and there will be no more interminable " UPDATING DO NOT TOUCH BULLCRAP " and did I mention it is FREE .
best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Actually there IS a way, and it was e-mailed to me privately. I'm not going to post it here because it opens Pandora's Box if you don't know what you're doing and screw around with the wrong thing!

Many thanks to the person who sent it; you know who you are!!! My computer is right in the middle of downloading a big update at the moment so will take action after this one is complete; don't want to corrupt what is going on right now. Big Grin

Bill R.
North Alabama

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bernborough2000:
bronicabill ,
do yourself a favour mate - download a copy of Linux Mint or Ubuntu , burn it to a dvd , test it out as a live cd beside Windows 10 . It is FREE , it does no data mining , lets YOU update as YOU wish , and just operates . The long term support version LTS gets security updates etc for 5 years .
You tube has literally hundreds of HOWTO videos so it is very easy to learn and there are thousands of FREE applications available for download that will replace any Windows apps that you use .
It will speed up old computers to a terrific degree and there will be no more interminable " UPDATING DO NOT TOUCH BULLCRAP " and did I mention it is FREE .
best .

I have considered that in the past but already have / own way too many mainstream apps that are Windows 10 compliant to be starting over with the unknown. Besides, at my age now, I just wanna sit down and USE the computer, not play with it. My days of writing code, playing around with stuff, and learning new programs is mostly over. I'm just about sick of the danged things and I used to love them! I'm just not going there again with a new OS to learn and new applications, but I do understand where you're coming from as I have considered it!!!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Actually there IS a way, and it was e-mailed to me privately. I'm not going to post it here because it opens Pandora's Box if you don't know what you're doing and screw around with the wrong thing!
If unwilling to post it here, would you be willing to share it with me via email (check my profile)? If there truly is a way to manually shut off the update process, I'd love to know what it is.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did it. Had to go into the registry and play with a few values. I will try to look it up and post the link.

FWIW - it wasn't permanent. I installed Office and it reverted back to auto updates. Haven't had a chance to go back in and disable it. Before Office it worked though, no updates.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post