SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about window A/C-recommendation or alternatives
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about window A/C-recommendation or alternatives Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
My oldest son recently moved into an apartment in NYC and will be needing an A/C unit. Window A/Cs tend to work pretty well, but are generally noisy, and we're wondering if there is anything better yet still practical? I've seen a little bit about the ductless systems, and I don't think that's practical as he's in a rented apartment, on the second floor.

I have seen "portable" units that sit on the floor, which need to have the exhausted ducted out, but not a drain. Does anyone have any experience with that type of unit?

Or any recommendations on a great window unit that works well and isn't too noisy?

He's going to need a unit for the main apartment, and a small unit for the bedroom, which is tiny. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
I had two GE Carry Kool models, 5000 btu, that i used at my camp and they did a great job and were very quiet. Don't know if they still make that model but would highly recommend a GE.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The old method used to be hauling your mattress out to the fire escape on hot nights. I guess that is out. Noise should not be an issue with modern units. It is more likely that the noise of city life would drive him crazy unless he is used to it. You would think AC would be included for what they want for a rental unit in NYC. No suggestions for brands, just make sure it is installed correctly, they pack quite a punch when falling from the second story.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
We used to live in Western NY and had an old tutor house with no AC. (Hey, it was Western NY- some say summer only lasts 2 months there).

We used two free-standing Panasonic-clone brand AC units in the bedrooms. I had first seen these in Japan years ago and it was the most cost effective way for us.

Some practical aspects- these used the ducted tubes through windows for hot air exhaust. They were actually pretty quiet performers.

I might note- be aware that the window inserts can be pushed out by burglars if on a ground floor. I actually made my own window insert out of plywood which had strip reinforcement so it could be secured to the frame. I pinned the window as well.

I have also used the drain (most of these allow screwing on a water hose to gravity drain).

If you use the onboard holding reservoir it lasted generally around six hours or so before it would beep and required emptying. (depending on humidity).

It generally lasted longer at night due to conditions being somewhat cooler, so we would empty right before going to bed and it would last until we woke up in the AM.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The units with the dryer vent, suck. The air they're blowing outside through the duct, they're also sucking the same amount in from outside to make it up.Stay with a window unit. The newer ones have come a long way with digital thermostats and are pretty quiet. Frigidaire makes some pretty good ones.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post