SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking Insurance Recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking Insurance Recommendations Login/Join 
posted
We've been with Geico for 15 years. I recently got a rate comparison with Liberty Mutual, and they beat Geico by nearly 900 bucks a year for house and car insurance combined.

Does anyone have any experience with a claim thru Liberty Mutual? Geico has been really good about claims, towing, etc. LM commercials repel me, but 900 bucks is a lot of cash.

Thanks!

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I used to be with Liberty Mutual. Claims service isn't too bad. But I switched to Farmers because they saved me a bunch of money and I know the agent. I think it pays to shop and while your at it already give your local Farmers guy a shot.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Find an independent agent who can shop it for you and have him recommend and show you a few quotes.

Rates will not be the same where I am vs KY.

Also make sure the quotes you get are actually offering the same policy limits and coverages. Would suck if you found out later that your agent compared an apple to an orange.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
USAA.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have Liberty Mutual and as a matter of fact just paid for the renewal today. I shopped prices for 2 weeks and could not find an equal policy for the money. 4 vehicles $250,000/$500,000 for $4800 for the year. 2 years ago my 17 year old totaled his car with 13,000 miles on it. Liberty paid more for the car than we did so we were able to replace it with a car that was 1 year newer. Accident forgiveness so our rates weren't affected. Now when I went for quotes, all the other companies wanted up to $1500 more for a years policy because of the accidents and associated tickets. Customer service was great and even sent me a small check as when they towed the wreck, they went thru EZpass lanes and I was charged. Normally I would not have said anything but they crossed some expensive bridges towing it.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am shopping carefully and making accurate comparisons. The independent agent is a great idea. Thanks!

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If its offered in your state, check out Farm Bureau. Saved me 400 a year over State Farm.
Downside: 45 bucks to become a "member".
No experience with claims yet.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I do the search every year before renewal time. I use an independent agent, but I also do some searching and we compare results.

Last year, Travelers came in significantly lower than anybody else. 'Nother thing I like about Travelers is the twelve month policy term. Several other companies have six month policies, which I do not like; it means that I have to go through this ritual twice as often.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
We've been with Geico for 15 years. I recently got a rate comparison with Liberty Mutual, and they beat Geico by nearly 900 bucks a year for house and car insurance combined.

Does anyone have any experience with a claim thru Liberty Mutual? Geico has been really good about claims, towing, etc. LM commercials repel me, but 900 bucks is a lot of cash.

Thanks!
I just left GEICO after 6 years. Simple changes and servicing were screwed up by poorly trained Reps. AAA has my three cars now Only saved $100/six months.

Liberty Mutual was higher than either. Their claim service was excellent. I went direct to them recently on a $3200 hit and run.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
USAA.

Yes. If you are a veteran or have any family connection to the military, there is none better than USAA

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I was with Nationwide for nearly 20 years, and my rates just continually rose year after year. I got tired of it and shopped it around, and found Liberty Mutual to be OVER half of Nationwide's rates for comparable coverage.

But 5 years later, Liberty Mutual was doing the same thing, gradually raising their rates to the point my initial savings were nearly gone. I shopped it again and found Esurance to be down at the price where Liberty Mutual was originally at 5 years ago. So we swapped again.

Now, a year into our policy with Esurance, they've raised the rate by ~$15 a month on the first renewal. I'll be shopping it again if that continues.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
USAA.

Yes. If you are a veteran or have any family connection to the military, there is none better than USAA

But you do not want to be hit by a person with USAA coverage. They will do everything they can to get out of their responsibility.

Some lady on the Dulles Tow Road was reading a book and rear-ended me when the traffic came to a stop. She tried to claim I cut her off and then she left the scene without producing an ID. She hit my tank (68 Chrysler Newport) and only scratched the bumper while it did the number on her Honda.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Safeco. Up until a year ago I was with the Hartford and had combined homeowners insurance and car insurance on three vehicles, a 2005 Toyota Solara, a 2012 Toyota Sienna, and a 2000 Chevrolet Express van. I pay insurance monthly. With the Hartford, the premium was $512 monthly. With Safeco, the monthly premium is $201.70. Coverages are the same with Safeco as they were with the Hartford.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
USAA isn't necessarily the best. We switched from USAA to State Farm. Saved $50/month while adding a life insurance policy for my wife.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post