SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Water Heater insurance offer through my electric company
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water Heater insurance offer through my electric company Login/Join 
Picture of chp37
posted
I received an offer through Florida Power that seems too good- but they are a reputable outfit, and maybe it is worth signing up for.
My home and electric water heater are 11 years old and I have been anticipating replacement within the next few years.
Today I got a letter from FPL that offers water heater insurance through Homeserve that states after a 90 day waiting period, I will be covered for repair or replacement up to $1000, which is about what a new heater would cost. The price is $7/ month.
I have read some awful reviews about all the warranty companies and avoid them, but as this came directly through my utility I am tempted.
Any experiences here?

Posts: 586 | Registered: October 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWills
posted Hide Post
Just be sure they aren't going to prorate coverage based on the age of your water heater.

I was ​always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps ​getting harder to find one.

Posts: 392 | Location: Mark Twain land, MO | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chp37
posted Hide Post
From what I have seen in the fine print, there is no provision for depreciation. So I guess for $7 a month I should give it a go.

posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good deal and I'm not one for such insurance.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How long does a water heater last? 20 years?

9 * 12 = 108 months * $7 = $756

New heater is $1000, does the policy cover install to or just the heater?

I would expect the cost of a new heater to rise in the next 9 years.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Most of the time, when you receive something like this from a utility, it is not being offered (or endorsed) by the utility. But, they usually are getting a fee for everyone who signs up.

Take the $7 a month and put it in an envelope marked "new water heater" and don't touch it.

By the time your present heater goes belly up you should have a good chunk of money to pay to replace it.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm skeptical of all these type "deals" and based on the home warranty company I had to deal with which was a complete and utter joke, I'd pass.

My electric company keeps sending me these letters for insurance for my electric line from the pole to the meter and inside to the panel. I am supposed to pay them X dollars a month because all of these things could fail at any moment and cost thousands. The problem is, my line and meter/ meter enclosure and breaker panel were all replaced 3 years ago when this house was upgraded to 200 amp service.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33764 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing the fine print states that it won't pay to bring your plumbing up to code either.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I received an offer a few weeks ago endorsed by my city government for sewer line insurance.

I usually ignore service contracts but this one made me think, consensus here was to not take it, I followed the advice.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the previous bullshit aside , read the fine print and look for anything that would make the policy a bad investment . We can't help you without seeing it .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FPL doesn't replace the water heater, they apply the balance of your plan towards replacing it and the warranty isn't through FPL it's through another company. Here is the link:
?Protect yourself from costly repairs or replacement with a Water Heater Repair and Replacement Plan. If your water heater can’t be repaired, the balance of your annual benefit can be applied to a like-for-like replacement." It does say it will pay the replacement up to $1000 (which is what it should cost or less to replace most tank water heaters)

http://www.fplenergyservices.c...bing-protection.html

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
The home warranty company I used in the past paid for the cheapest brands and did minimal work. I had one honest a/c repair guy that came out for a warranty repair explain to me the instructions they were given from the warranty company (which boiled down to patch it up and do the bare minimum to get it working).

Posts: 4099 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
Most of the time, when you receive something like this from a utility, it is not being offered (or endorsed) by the utility. But, they usually are getting a fee for everyone who signs up.

Take the $7 a month and put it in an envelope marked "new water heater" and don't touch it.

By the time your present heater goes belly up you should have a good chunk of money to pay to replace it.

Yellow Jacket is spot on. Do this instead.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pass, electric water heaters are not that expensive.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:

This!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have got two letters now from Columbia Gas for pipeline repair. I don't even have gas here. Big Grin

I just stick the agreement in their envelope and return it on their dime. I have lost respect for some of these companies trying to rip off old ladies. Mad

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chp37
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the plan is not very useful, even at $7/month. I'll pass.
Thanks for all the advice.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:

My last water heater lasted 6 1/2 years. Just past the tank warranty and that's what started leaking. $470 for a new water heater and $170 for installation and removal of the old water heater. I did some looking around online and most are saying you are lucky to get 6-10 years out of them now.

That said I still wouldn't put insurance on it. Like someone else said. Just start sticking that $7 a month into an envelope and then use that money towards a new one when this one craps out.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:

My last water heater lasted 6 1/2 years. Just past the tank warranty and that's what started leaking. $470 for a new water heater and $170 for installation and removal of the old water heater. I did some looking around online and most are saying you are lucky to get 6-10 years out of them now.

That said I still wouldn't put insurance on it. Like someone else said. Just start sticking that $7 a month into an envelope and then use that money towards a new one when this one craps out.

YUP, I've been hearing from A LOT of people that the new ones don't last nearly as long as the old ones and less than 10 years is very common. It sucks because NOBODY wants to come home to a leaking water heater and flooded house!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
My plumber tells me a lot of them would last longer, but almost no one does regular tank purges to get rid of the crap that settles at the bottom of the tank.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post