SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SIG SAUER MPX (Update: Exclusive Non-NFA version P7)
Page 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 137
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG SAUER MPX (Update: Exclusive Non-NFA version P7) Login/Join 
Administrator
posted Hide Post
So this is what I am gathering:

Keymod is a valid indicator of Gen 2 for now, but it may not be in the future as Keymod handguards become available for purchase by themselves.

The Gen2 MPX that came through my shop definitely had a more "blue" tint to the upper, but that may just be an artifact of the anodization process for that particular batch (color being notoriously difficult to predict with anodizing).

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slightly related to MPX, MCX used by UK counter-terror operators.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...r-ter-new-mcx-rifle/

Posts: 55 | Location: Gunshine State - Connecticut No More | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of corey4
posted Hide Post
i am going to chime in on the suppressor threads that i just read.

this is pasted from my comments on a silencertalk thread:

i have been reading a lot of threads about the MPX and blowback over the last few weeks. when i first got mine (8" barrel), i was very disappointed in the amount of blow back with my octane9HD, to the point i was trying to sell my MPX and/or trade it in for another toy. but when i was reading some of the other discussions (multiple times), it got me thinking. i remember reading sometime, somewhere about larger can volume and how it might help. so i took my osprey45 out with it today. i received zero blowback. i switched back and forth with the octane9 and osprey45 burning thru 200 rounds of american eagle 147 and 50 rounds of american eagle 115. most test strings were 10-15 rounds to get a good baseline and make sure i was actually perceiving corretly what was going on. when i finally determined the osprey45 provided no blowback, i did 3 30 round mag dumps...no blowback. so i took my MPX off the market where i had it listed for sale.

MPX 8"
american eagle 147 and 115
octane9HD provided terrible blowback with both loads
osprey45 provided zero blowback with both loads
all shots were taken NTCH, or as best i could do without a stock. without a stock, the recoil kinda punches you in the nose lol

so, i am now wondering if the design of the osprey with the monocore allows more gas to be blown into the can, and not into the action. i am also wondering if being a 45 allows more gas to escape thru the bore with the larger baffle openings and bore opening.

maybe in the next few days i will take my YHM cobra9 out. it has a monocore and a large bore opening. it is actually quite load compared to my octane9 and osprey with the same load.

i would love to test an octane45 and an osprey9 to see if i get the same results.

Posts: 172 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corey4:
i am going to chime in on the suppressor threads that i just read.

this is pasted from my comments on a silencertalk thread:

i have been reading a lot of threads about the MPX and blowback over the last few weeks. when i first got mine (8" barrel), i was very disappointed in the amount of blow back with my octane9HD, to the point i was trying to sell my MPX and/or trade it in for another toy. but when i was reading some of the other discussions (multiple times), it got me thinking. i remember reading sometime, somewhere about larger can volume and how it might help. so i took my osprey45 out with it today. i received zero blowback. i switched back and forth with the octane9 and osprey45 burning thru 200 rounds of american eagle 147 and 50 rounds of american eagle 115. most test strings were 10-15 rounds to get a good baseline and make sure i was actually perceiving corretly what was going on. when i finally determined the osprey45 provided no blowback, i did 3 30 round mag dumps...no blowback. so i took my MPX off the market where i had it listed for sale.

MPX 8"
american eagle 147 and 115
octane9HD provided terrible blowback with both loads
osprey45 provided zero blowback with both loads
all shots were taken NTCH, or as best i could do without a stock. without a stock, the recoil kinda punches you in the nose lol

so, i am now wondering if the design of the osprey with the monocore allows more gas to be blown into the can, and not into the action. i am also wondering if being a 45 allows more gas to escape thru the bore with the larger baffle openings and bore opening.

maybe in the next few days i will take my YHM cobra9 out. it has a monocore and a large bore opening. it is actually quite load compared to my octane9 and osprey with the same load.

i would love to test an octane45 and an osprey9 to see if i get the same results.

Its hard for me to accept I need to buy a .45 can for a 9mm subgun. Would love to see if the same holds true for a Octane45 vs the Osprey. And if different endcaps would help.

Posts: 221 | Registered: October 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone confirm if 20-round mags exist?
If so, I am interested in trading "straight-up" three 30-rd mags for three 20-rd mags.

Posts: 50 | Registered: November 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, welcome to Ivy615 and thank you for your great post and very interesting insight on the MLOK! I’ve tried a few grips already between the tall handguard and rail adapter I’ve been having a hard time finding the right grip. Being an SBR I have more options and currently using a Magpul VFG, would be cool if I could lose the adapter.

In regards to the Osprey 45, I don’t think it’s the Osprey itself causing the low blowback but the fact that it’s over bored. Reason I say this, the old website silencerresearch.com tested the Osprey 45 and they got a lot of blowback, more than the other 45 cans they tested especially when wet. I have the Octane 45 while my friend has an Osprey in jail, waiting for it to be released to do a head to head.

With that said, I have an Octane 9, 45 & 45K (the whole family!) plus the Griffin Revolution 9 in K form. If you watch the Silencer Shop YouTube channel they do a lot of test with these and also try the whole family on a 9mm host. You’ll notice the full size have the best results at the muzzle while they also show at the ear ratings. Of all the silencers, the 45K has the lowest at the ear rating. Make sense because it’s about the same size as an Oct9 so long enough to get the job done but least amount of back pressure. The Oct45 is longer therefore allowing more time to build pressure, but none are close to the amount of blowback (at ear dB) as the Oct9 because of the tight bore.

I’ve tried all of these on my pistols and the Octane 9 sounds the best, it’s the only one I can shoot outside and my wife can’t hear from our 2nd story bedroom when I’m literally standing right below the window. I’ll ask how many shots she heard and she’ll usually say 1, the FRP. Even though the 45’s produce less blowback and therefore less at the ear noise, it’s not enough to overcome the louder muzzle report. Still sound good though.

Either way… considering the “at the ear” blowback of the MPX is the issue, it’s the reason I’ve been wanting to try the 45’s them on mine. Problem is its budget time at work and also hoping to get my SG-2 any day now to try them all at once. Also, from my experience before the MPX was a little louder than I want to shoot in my yard so I need to find a quiet place outside to shoot which isn’t as easy as it seems…

In regards to the 20rd mags, I’ve had one pre-ordered since April and still have not received it. I would imagine I would be pretty high on the list. Last time I asked, I was told they were trying to catch up on 30’s before even beginning to produce the 20’s and that it wouldn’t probably be until end of 2015 at the earliest.

Posts: 63 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: June 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crash - Thank you kindly for the warm welcome and the update on the 20-rd mags! I was beginning to believe that they were another SIG urban myth.
Also, I understand from reading the Forum instructions that I can post pictures once I am granted that permission. I will post pics of the Magpul AFG M-LOK on my MPX-P once I have that permission - there are some other small modifications that you can make to the AFG to mount it closer to your mag well - the rear leg of the AFG has the same angle as the MPX mag well so your hand will slide smoothly from the magazine right up to the front stop on the AFG - this provides a flawless transition between hand locations.

Posts: 50 | Registered: November 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivy6t5:
Crash - Thank you kindly for the warm welcome and the update on the 20-rd mags! I was beginning to believe that they were another SIG urban myth.

Welcome,

The 20 rounders are real, I've used one. Production is understandably being directed towards 30 rounders. But 10s are also slated for production.

My guess is that 20 rounders will only make up about 10-15% max of all MPX magazines with 30 rounders being heavily favored and 10 rounders being even more rare.

quote:
Originally posted by ivy6t5:
Also, I understand from reading the Forum instructions that I can post pictures once I am granted that permission. I will post pics of the Magpul AFG M-LOK on my MPX-P once I have that permission - there are some other small modifications that you can make to the AFG to mount it closer to your mag well - the rear leg of the AFG has the same angle as the MPX mag well so your hand will slide smoothly from the magazine right up to the front stop on the AFG - this provides a flawless transition between hand locations.

You don't need permission. You just need to have an image hosting site and use the proper [img][/img] tags to get it to display.

See here for instructions:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3310036873

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRASH_PRO:

With that said, I have an Octane 9, 45 & 45K (the whole family!) plus the Griffin Revolution 9 in K form.

Crash, do you happen to have a 9mm endcap for the Octane 45, or have you swapped the one you have over? Wondering your thoughts on the difference between the Octane 9 and 45 when using the 9mm cap. I have one, and will be comparing it against my buddy's Octane 9 in a month or so, just didn't know what your take was.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
MPX mags in stock at Top Gun:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/si...ne-mag-mpx-9-30.html

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ferrari Steve
posted Hide Post
While on the phone today with Sig, I was able to order an ambi charging handle and three-pack of MPX Gen 1 mags.

John mentioned that the MPX foregrips were now for sale, but couldn't find a part number.

Anyone know the part number of the factory aluminum foregrip?

RealGunReviews.com | Gun Videos | SIG Fans Facebook Group | NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 291 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: December 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ferrari Steve:
While on the phone today with Sig, I was able to order an ambi charging handle and three-pack of MPX Gen 1 mags.

John mentioned that the MPX foregrips were now for sale, but couldn't find a part number.

Were they the keymod ones? Those are the only factory grips i remember seeing which would also make sense now that the gen 2's with keymod are shipping.

Posts: 63 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: June 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:

With that said, I have an Octane 9, 45 & 45K (the whole family!) plus the Griffin Revolution 9 in K form.

Crash, do you happen to have a 9mm endcap for the Octane 45, or have you swapped the one you have over? Wondering your thoughts on the difference between the Octane 9 and 45 when using the 9mm cap. I have one, and will be comparing it against my buddy's Octane 9 in a month or so, just didn't know what your take was.

I’ve only switched the end caps enough to know it’s a pain in the rear… the Oct9 is designed to where the end cap goes right after the last baffle, but both the Oct45 and 45K are an odd length where they have a half baffle that sits inside the end cap. Taking this out is not easy, especially my 45K, I have to use a razor blade to get underneath it and that gets a bit sketchy. Went through all of this trouble and then ended up using my .45 in a bowling pin match and wanted to use the silencer as a muzzle break and switched it back without getting a chance to try it on the 9.

From the reviews of the 9mm end cap on Silencer Shop, the general consensus is it doesn’t provide much of a difference. According to the Silencer Shop test there is a very minor differences compared to the regular end cap and you trade lower muzzle report for higher at ear volume. Really ends up balancing out in the end. For myself, I decided it’s not worth the trouble of switching end caps every time I want to change guns and unless I get really bored probably won’t be trying it again, plus I don’t want to accidently use it on my .45 with the 9 end cap. At least for me, I have 9 and .45’s so I just plan on leaving it that way.

Sorry, I know that doesn’t really answer your question.

Picture of Ferrari Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ferrari Steve:

Were they the keymod ones? Those are the only factory grips i remember seeing which would also make sense now that the gen 2's with keymod are shipping.

I asked the same question, and John said they were NOT the keymod ones, but rather foregrips for the Gen 1 handguards.

Of course, until we have a part number and/or one in my hot little hands, we can't be certain. Smile

RealGunReviews.com | Gun Videos | SIG Fans Facebook Group | NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 291 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: December 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would buy one! I've had an ambi charging handle on order for about a month, still waiting on that one.

posted Hide Post
Anyone know who has the best deal on a Gen 2 and has it in stock? Thanks

Posts: 18 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quicksilvergoat:
Anyone know who has the best deal on a Gen 2 and has it in stock? Thanks

Tombstone tactical has one on their website or Osage has one on gunbroker. Im counting my pennies til i can get one of them.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to wait, I waited about a week. I picked up a Gen II PSB today from my LGS (Low Price Guns in Bellevue WA), for $1,499. It is his standard price for the MPX PSB when he has them in stock.

Posts: 3 | Registered: October 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been quoted $1225 for the pistol from a few different sources. That's what I ended up paying through my local FFL. Finding who can actually get them is the trick.

Posts: 21 | Registered: June 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Several LGS have gen1s in stock. None of them have known there was a gen2 though...

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post