SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SIG SAUER MPX (Update: Exclusive Non-NFA version P7)
Page 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 137
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG SAUER MPX (Update: Exclusive Non-NFA version P7) Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 350zrb:
quote:
Originally posted by ivy6t5:
Cabelas is currently listing MPX 30-rd mags on sale and In Stock for $55.99 plus free shipping (limited time). I just received notice that the three I ordered have shipped.

Do we know whether this is gen 1 or 2 mag?

Good question. It seems that distributors and retailers are simple listing them as MPX magazines without specifying the generation. If Sig's position is that magazines are not compatible across generations, then they need to specify the generation on the package.

Posts: 73 | Registered: March 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't worry. SIG does not release anything until its right.

Posts: 92 | Location: NC | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder why Glock has not ever gotten into this market?

Posts: 92 | Location: NC | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Anyone install a red dot on their MPX, my bushnell with one inch riser is good to go but doesn't co-witness, would a half inch riser work.

Posts: 23453 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Anyone install a red dot on their MPX, my bushnell with one inch riser is good to go but doesn't co-witness, would a half inch riser work.

I'm using the LaRue LT751 with a Primary Arms red dot. Works great and gives absolute co-witness with the stock sights.

Posts: 13 | Registered: August 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am using a EOTech EXPS 2.0. It is big for the platform, but I like the optical for picking things up quickly

Posts: 3 | Registered: October 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Trijicon MRO works well with co-witness.

Posts: 97 | Registered: November 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to put a SIG Romeo 3 (SIG Product Code: SD9-RD-SOR31002) on my SIG MPX SBR. Will it co-witness with the SIG iron sights? Thanks...

Pete

Posts: 38 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Registered: February 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Are there any ATF compliance issues with changing the front finger stop from the factory unit to say a magpul angled fore grip like this

https://www.magpul.com/products/afg

Posts: 23453 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are there any ATF compliance issues with changing the front finger stop from the factory unit to say a magpul angled fore grip like this

https://www.magpul.com/products/afg

No there are not.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I didn't think so but a buddy said an FFL told him otherwise, since I have the magpul on the MPX just needed to be sure

Found this too

http://johnpierceesq.com/does-...vertical-fore-grips/

posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't think so but a buddy said an FFL told him otherwise, since I have the magpul on the MPX just needed to be sure

Found this too

http://johnpierceesq.com/does-...vertical-fore-grips/

"Pistols with a second vertical grip
Many pistols feature a rail below the barrel, commonly used to mount a laser or flashlight. Attaching a vertical grip to this rail constitutes the manufacturing of an AOW firearm, as it is "no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand."[22] It is therefore illegal to place an aftermarket vertical foregrip on any pistol without first registering it as an AOW and paying the $200 "making and registering tax". Failure to do so is a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.[22] However if the receiver was originally manufactured to accept either a long or short barrel and a removal buttstock and fore grip and it can be assembled either as a rifle or a pistol, according to ATF rule 2011-4 it is not considered an NFA weapon as long as it is only assembled as a pistol without a buttstock or as a rifle with a barrel at least 16 inches long."

Seems like the salient points begins with the 5th sentence starting with HOWEVER. I'm not an attorney but this seems to say that a MPX with vertical grip is not considered an NFA weapon. It seems to meet all the criteria set forth exempting it? Although in re-reading the letters from the ATF in your link perhaps not. They do not appear to like the vertical grips on a pistol unless it has an OAL greater than 26 inches.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
So as long as it's not vertical then it's good ?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
There is a case outcome that contradicts BATFE's assertion that pistols with VFGs are AOWs. However, it also appears that BATFE does not consider the decision binding, possibly because the result was a prosecution-initiated dismissal (?) rather than a out-and-out ruling against.

Here are the relevant sections of the dismissal for U.S. v. Davis, Crim No. 8:93-106 (D.S.C. 1993) (Report of Magistrate, June 21, 1993):

quote:
25. Title 26, United States Code Section 5845(e) defines
"any other weapon" as:

... any weapon or device capable of being concealed from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosion... Such term shall not include a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.

26. A "pistol" is defined in Section 5845 as

A weapon originally designed, made and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s). 27 CFR 178.11 (emphasis added).

27. Even after being modified with grips, the pistols are still "pistols" as defined above and not "any other weapon" as defined by 26 U.S.C. section 5845(e).

CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATION

Wherefore, it is recommended that Count 13 be dismissed upon motion of the government...

As to the motion to dismiss concerning the two pistols, this court concludes that the weapons are "pistols" as defined and are not "any other weapons," and that the motion to dismiss as to the pistol counts should be granted.

[signed]
William M. Catoe, Jr.
United States Magistrate Judge

June 21, 1993
Greenville, South Carolina

[irrelevant parts to the AOW discussion edited out for sake of brevity. Bold emphasis mine]

http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/us_v_davis2.txt

Note that the definition of AOW does not include any language referring to a second pistol grip. The second pistol grip part is entirely an interpretation of BATFE as far as I know.

Full definition below:

quote:
26 U.S.C. § 5845(E)

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term “Any Other Weapon” means:

Any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive;

A pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell;

Weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading; and

Any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire.

Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.

from: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/f...-act-definitions-any

On the page above, the "Examples of 'Any Other Weapon' include" graphic does not show any specimens with two pistol grips.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
I know nothing authoritative on this subject, but my AOW Serbu Shorty has a forward grip.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Seems AFG's are acceptable on pistols per this letter from ATF.

https://docs.google.com/viewer...tol_AFG.pdf&hl=en_US

Picture of Ferrari Steve
posted Hide Post
Ran into fellow SigForum member PorterN at an LGS in Utah today.

He was picking up a Gen2 MPX Carbine.

I was buying a P226 Legion.

It's a good day for SigForum dudes. Smile

RealGunReviews.com | Gun Videos | SIG Fans Facebook Group | NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 291 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: December 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I did pick up the MPX Carbine today. MPX-C-9-KM-T. I took some pictures and will work on a write-up of just my first thoughts, and a couple of things I didn't expect with it. don't get me wrong, I am definitely happy with the purchase, though!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ferrari Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I did pick up the MPX Carbine today. MPX-C-9-KM-T. I took some pictures and will work on a write-up of just my first thoughts, and a couple of things I didn't expect with it. don't get me wrong, I am definitely happy with the purchase, though!
Great to meet you there! Smile

RealGunReviews.com | Gun Videos | SIG Fans Facebook Group | NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 291 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: December 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ferrari Steve:
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
Great to meet you there! Smile

Definitely; It's a small world!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post