SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tips for cleaning a polished nickel shower fixture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tips for cleaning a polished nickel shower fixture Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
This one is only 6 years old - installed when we built our house. Not sure why it looks so bad. Looks to me like the pipe fittings weren't done properly and minerals and other stuff from the water leaked out onto the fixture.

Any ideas for how to get it looking great again?

It's the mixing valve for a thermostatic shower. Here's what the whole thing looks like:

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That kind of looks like some of the nickel plating has flaked/pitted. If that's the case, there's no getting it back. I'd try Brasso on a soft rag and see what happens. My expectations would be low.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
It's hard to tell for sure from the photo, but it looks pitted to me. If that's the case the only fix is to take it all apart, strip its existing finish, and then have it polished and plated again.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That's etched as hell, that's not cleaning up.

quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
It's hard to tell for sure from the photo, but it looks pitted to me. If that's the case the only fix is to take it all apart, strip its existing finish, and then have it polished and plated again.

Buying a new one would be much cheaper.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Well, damn. That's not supposed to happen. Could it have been a faulty installation?

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

I'd think more like faulty plating application.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
^^^
Yes, I'd say it looks like poor quality plating.
Do you know where that fixture was manufactured? I can guess.

Yikes, I just looked up the manufacturer and saw the price. I'd contact them and show them the photos. That stuff is way too pricey to look like that after a few years unless you are running battery acid through those pipes. Smile

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
^^^

It was manufactured and purchased from Lefroy Brooks, a quite reputable British manufacturer of kitchen and bath hardware. Expensive enough that I'm embarrassed to disclose the price.Faulty plating would surprise me. Maybe it's a bad picture...in person, it looks to me like mineral deposits that are dripping down from the various connections.

SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Makes one wonder about your water quality as well....doesn’t appear to be any installation problem so that leaves ya with plating problem or water quality...or a combo

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
^^^

It was manufactured and purchased from Lefroy Brooks, a quite reputable British manufacturer of kitchen and bath hardware. Expensive enough that I'm embarrassed to disclose the price.Faulty plating would surprise me. Maybe it's a bad picture...in person, it looks to me like mineral deposits that are dripping down from the various connections.

"Lefroy Brooks is a line of English-style faucets, fixtures, and accessories for the kitchen and bath. They were originally manufactured in the U.K. but today they are made in China. Distribution in the U.S. and Canada is through Lefroy Brooks Plumbing Fixtures, Inc. founded by Warren Pearl in 2009. Mr. Pearl is also the owner of Cooper & Graham, a luxury bath brand launched in 2014 that caters primarily to the hospitality industry."

It's a real shame when a great company goes cheap on manufacture, but still charges a premium price.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I could ask my plater, as he does this every day, but it's my understanding that when you see something like this it is typically a reaction with the metal beneath the plating.

In my line of work we are mostly nickel plating steel (sometimes brass). If the steel is not properly handled prior to plating, or if the plating is not done correctly, rust begins to develop. If allowed to continue unchecked, this pits the steel.

I suspect what you're seeing here is a reaction between the metal the valve is made from and whatever is in your water as opposed to the nickle itself. If this is something out of China then the problem could originate from several areas. Could be something wrong with the nickel, the plating process, the valve material, etc.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
I think bleach or a bleach based product was used on that finish.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
I think bleach or a bleach based product was used on that finish.

That should be expected in a shower or sink and the materials should stand up to harsher chemicals.
Careful those flakes of plating don't cut somebody. The will easily cause an infection.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
try some Flitz polish and elbow grease on it.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
try some Flitz polish and elbow grease on it.

^^^^^Exactly what I was going to recommend. Flitz works great if the surface is fixable. I even used it on the plastic lens covers of my light bar.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Possibly bad plating.

Flitz, Blue Magic or something similar. Possibly 0000 steel wool.

Maybe get it replated?
Cost of that vs a new one.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Are the black areas in the photo places where the surface plating has flaked away, or just surface reflections of something black behind the camera?

They look like plating has flaked off in several areas. If that's not the case, it might help to have pictures with more diffuse lighting taken from different angles.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Those pic's tell me you need to scrap and replace with a better product.China is not known to produce products that aren't disposable in a few years.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NEVRDULL, polish it with that. It is great at removing tarnish and corrosion on metals and leaves a protective coating on it. Wipe off with a microfiber. It is non abrasive, unlike some of the other methods mentioned. Also never use OOOO steel wool on anything, it leaves steel residue that then rusts and is a touch too abrasive. Use OOOO BRONZE wool instead.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
OK, ChicagoSigMan, what did you use and how did the result look??

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post