SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple AirPort Extreme Question About Upgrading
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple AirPort Extreme Question About Upgrading Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I have an Apple AirPort Extreme , the last model of the flat square ones before they went to the more skinny tall one. I've been given a newer model that was used for maybe a year in my stepmothers daycare until they recently upgraded to a Comcast Xfinity gateway.

My question is, is it worth going through the trouble of setting up the newer one and getting rid of the older one? It works great and is absolutely rock solid reliable with a good strong signal throughout the house. I don't want to fix what ain't broken!

From what I can research, the ONLY difference between mine and the newer model I was given (besides the form factor) is mine has 5 antennas and the newer one has 6.

Mine:
Model A1408

One I was given:
Model A1521

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No, why change?
If you are getting good performance then keep on truckin.
There are a plethora of factors that dictate a good wifi environment and one more measly antenna ain't one of them.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of speed are you getting from your ISP? The newer one will likely support the 802.11ac standard whereas yours is likely only doing 802.11n.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
What kind of speed are you getting from your ISP? The newer one will likely support the 802.11ac standard whereas yours is likely only doing 802.11n.

I'm getting 80-100 Mbps right now over Wifi.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The new one made quite an improvement for me, I'd do it.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Do you have any areas that have less than optimal coverage? The airports handle range extendability pretty well.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:

I'm getting 80-100 Mbps right now over Wifi.

You're at the upper end of what 801.11n will support. See if you can get the model number of the newer one. I'm pretty sure all the tower ones will do AC but I'm not 100% on that.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
PASig,

Funny you should mention this. I've been debating the same thing-

So I just did a series of speed tests on my A1408 to use as comparison. (Our provider is Verizon, and we have what was the next-to-lowest package).

WIRED Speed: (Alienware Aurora R4 ethernet direct to router)

83.74 MBPS Download
89.41 MBPS Upload

WIRELESS Speed: (2 Band, four year old Apple Airport Extreme “N” Router. Also have repeater) Don’t have AC Protocol.

Wireless tested using Macbook Pro 2.4 GHZ i5 laptop with 16 GB Ram

2.4 GHZ Band

31.35 MBPS Download
54.35 MBPS Upload

5 GHZ Band

45.59 MBPS Download
63.56 MBPS Upload

(*Keep in mind that the only reliable test as far as your ISP is concerned is the wired speed. Wired is their environment, wireless is considered yours).

I did these tests using Verizon’s own speedtest page. You can do any one you want as long as you consistently do all testing sequences using the same test.

One difference between the old and new AirPort is that the new model has AC Protocol.

I'm not going to change yet-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
As everyone else has said, the newer model has the ac speed, but it will depend on if your computers/tablets/phones are ac compatible.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The new one supports faster wifi bandwidth, plus the transmission antenna is configured differently so it throws the signal in a more widespread fashion.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Looks like ones like your old ones go for about 30 or 40 bucks, the newer one goes for about twice that. Should mean something LOL!
The old one does not do a/c the new one does.

Man, too bad it wasn't a time machine...

Just wondering, I have a time machine 3TB. But can you make an airport Extreme into one with an external HD?

Love my Time machine. Our Phones get backed up to my laptop, and my laptop gets backed up to the time machine every hour.

Hay you could always Karma one!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
But can you make an airport Extreme into one with an external HD?

Yes, but even the newer Airport Extreme just has a USB 2.0 port for an external drive, so the drive would be slower than the 802.11-ac.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I set my old one up as an extender of the wifi through out the house

new in office
old in living room

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
I set my old one up as an extender of the wifi through out the house

That's what I would do. If not necessary, then I would sell or Karma one of the routers.

Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Even though I use Apple, could one of them be used as a repeater/extender in an area where you might not be getting quite the signal you want?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
That is what my previous post implied. I'm sort of working now, but I can get back later with details later if you don't know how to extend Airports.

I use the latest (last?) Airport Extreme as my primary WiFi router in conjunction with an older extended Time Capsule for backups.

Of course it would be easier on me if another forum member explained how to do so, especially since I use the deprecated but subjectively superior Airport 5.6.1 Utility.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The "use both" option is what I would implement, if I could cable both with ethernet. Extending the network wirelessly is not worth it, but if you can get cable to each AEBS back to your main network switch (or even from the first AEBS to the other), then a "roaming" network will give you much improved coverage throughout the house.

Another thing I find helpful is to mount the AEBS high on the wall. Check out the H-Squared Apple wireless mounts. They let you mount the older style flat against the wall, which projects well, and the newer one attached to the wall, but standing up, which also gives it best range.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Apple is discontinuing this business. Might as well set up the newer one since this is the last Apple router you'll get.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
But can you make an airport Extreme into one with an external HD?

Yes, but even the newer Airport Extreme just has a USB 2.0 port for an external drive, so the drive would be slower than the 802.11-ac.

Thought that might work. Speed not really a problem for time machine backups I wouldn't think. Good option for the OP if he doesn't currently have a backup routine.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:

That is a gross over-simplification.
In practice you would have to have a LOT of factors in place for that to happen.
Not a realistic assumption with the everyday consumer goods being discussed.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post