SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Watch fans -- I have a watch band question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watch fans -- I have a watch band question. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good evening, SF. Tonight's question deals with watch bands.

Last year, after a lot of studying, I bought a Seiko 5. (This one.) I love the watch, but I'm not wholly enthused about the nylon band. It looks good on the watch, but it just doesn't suit me.

In general, I prefer the metal bracelet over nylon or leather bands because they're less likely to soak up "crud" or get funky with sweat, and there's no "tail" hanging out to constantly snag a [long] sleeve.

After a bit of searching, I see that the same watch is offered with the metal bracelet. (This one.)

Perhaps that's the one I should have bought, but I didn't, so now I'm looking for the Seiko bracelet. The miracles of the Internet led me to a site called Total Watch Repair. Using the search function on that site, I find this bracelet.

It's affordable enough (far better than the $135+ bracelet for my Hamilton!), so now I wonder if any of the SF membership has any experience with that web site, or recommendations for another source.

Thanks, all.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
I believe your watch takes curved end links and this band looks like it has straight end links to me?

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Good eye. By that pic, the bracelet doesn't have the end pieces. Thank you, adobesig.

Edit: Or maybe it does? The description mentions them.

But you're right... the end of the bracelet shown doesn't look like the end of the bracelet on the SNZG13J1.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Google Strapco and Militat. Amazon also carries these. Also, I find that silicone rubber straps are very comfortable and cheap! You will need to know the lug width of your watch.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
22mm band. Virtually any 22mm band will fit with varying aesthetic compromises, due to the non-proprietary end links. Thinner straps will leave more gap between the springbar pins(what holds the strap on), while thicker straps might fill up the gaps, but make annoying squeaking noises. You can even source generic non-proprietary metal bands, but I don't recommend them.

or a leather band, seen here: https://www.amazon.com/MiLTAT-...A8VFXG95JP6HRANB8GVY

or this 22mm mesh leather bracelet:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C...NB8GVY&pd_rd_w=QKn3g

Example found on google:

Posts: 1997 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
OK, when you look up the part number the ebay picture does show end pieces.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEIKO...00Z1AM-/192449376253

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I really like the look of the leather strap (particularly the one in your second pic), Vgex, but for everyday use the metal suits me better.

quote:
Originally posted by adobesig:
OK, when you look up the part number the ebay picture does show end pieces.

Aha! That's a good find. Thank you, adobesig!

God bless America.