SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon Prime movie question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon Prime movie question Login/Join 
Picture of RaiseHal
posted
My dad signed up for Amazon Prime. He gets the movies on his computer but wants to watch on his tv in the den. So how do you get the movies from the computer to the tv? He does not have a smart tv but has a couple year old Panasonic.
Thanks

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best and cheapest way would be to buy a fire stick from amazon. Plug into hdmi port and log in to your account.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another option is the Roku, especially if he might want to use other streaming services (like Netflix). The Roku has other streaming services, some free, as well.

Posts: 2772 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of options:
-set the TV up as a second monitor for the computer
-use an Amazon app built in to the TV (found on many smart TVs)
-use a secondary service that has an Amazon app ability, such as a PlayStation or Roku device
-use an Amazon Fire Stick to allow the current TV to access Amazon via WiFi

There may be other options as well that I am not tech savvy enough to know of.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Roku, firestick, chrome cast, PS4, some other HDMI plug in contraption/dongle.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
If he knows how to use his computer.

I would connect a wireless usb/mouse to his computer. About 12 bucks on amazon. Then connect his tv to the pc via wifi if capable, or hdmi cable assuming his pc has a spare hdmi out.

That is the most powerful option. He will have full functionality of everything his pc can offer.

If not, then some sort of device would be second best, since its not a smart tv, a firestick would offer him great usability directly with amazon and he can unlock it to become a psuedo android box which he can use for everything the pc would offer, but at reduced performance.

If you go the pc route, look into an IPTV subscription. While not as reliable as cable (different services can go down for a couple days at a time every couple of months) it will provide him over 2500 channels for about 180 yearly cost.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The new $40 Amazon Fire TV stick is the way to go, IMO. He can also do Netflix with it. And a bunch of other stuff, incl. OTA TV via a network tuner, if desired.

We're using a gen. 2 FTV box on our main TV and are very happy with it. (I like it much better than the Roku we had.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If it isn't already built-in to the TV get a Amazon Fire Stick for around %30 of $40.
You could port over from a computer but that gets a bit awkward.
Just get a Fire Stick and be done with it.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've streamed stuff with a Roku, through my Macbook with a cable and with chrome cast, and with a firestick.

I think the simplest, easiest, and cost-effective is with a Firestick. I bet if you wait a few weeks they will cheaper come the holiday shopping season.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16398 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it a laptop, cheapest way would be to run a HDMI cable between the TV and the laptop.

Otherwise a Firestick.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Roku. I might have one around here someplace that we no longer use, since we got a "smart" TV with the Roku functions built in.

I'll check around and if I spot it, you're welcome to it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Our BluRay player had it so we just use that.

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post