SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My house is built...Closed today March 5th. Video slideshow of the construction on page 8.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My house is built...Closed today March 5th. Video slideshow of the construction on page 8. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Damn your guys move fast. How many guys are on their crew?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Looks like your excavation contractor knows what he is doing.

Project is moving right along and looks good.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
3 guys doing the framing today. Maybe 4 yesterday. As I said they are a family of builders. Multiple generations from Finland. The seller/builder and the guys all sort of have that Yooper accent. The guys framing today are the young ones. Probably been in construction since they were 12.

Old rugged cross: The guy that did the excavating is the guy selling the house. Not much being subbed out.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Here's one quick picture from today. They did not work Saturday. It was pretty cold out. They've reached the 2nd floor.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Excellent fengshui working there. Love the kitchen.

A walk-out basement with a bathroom? The perfect get-away!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Looks nice. I'm about to sign the contract for my house build. I'll be by the site every single day to photograph everything and be extremely observant and meticulous. The builder has no say in that. Wink

Mine will also be a hair under 2500sq ft (to avoid BS county water cistern regs), one story unless you count a rooftop deck above the covered patio. I can't wait for the process to start. We should break ground at the end of February or the beginning of March, so the weather out here should be very good.

Looks like a very nice location; how big? We got 5 acres on a cul-de-sac. Also, there is no HOA, only some basic covenants. How about in your neighborhood?

Also, it looks like most of the yard is sand. Is that the case? Seems odd.

Did you get a soils analysis prior to foundation work to get data about the proper compaction/backfill needed? That's pretty important out here, since most houses are build on slabs. I had a civil engineer come out to get samples for mine.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on using the ZIP System. It makes for a much better house.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
We have 7 acres. The sand was brought in. It’s not very deep. They put lots of gravel down around the foundation and then sand. I don’t know if they tested. They build to code. If they are great builders so I’m betting they did it right. There is drainage around the foundation.

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
So they got a lot done today. Only 1 picture from the street as they were working on the roof. We didn't want to bother them. Snow coming Friday so I'm glad the roof is being done now.

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
A couple from today. Outside framing is pretty much done. Roof wood is up.

These go to eleven.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a central vacuum system? If so now's the easy time to run the piping. I put one in and I'm so glad I did. http://www.centralvaccentral.com/centralvacsystems/

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's crazy how fast this is going and glad you found builders that do it the way it should be done. Set a timeline and stick too it.

I've never had more than a garage built and it about killed me with how slow the progress was. I couldn't imagine doing a house when I look around locally and see how long it takes some of them to get done.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
its cool to see, thanks for sharing, I've built one house, the others I bought done, my dad built 5 homes when we were growing up, we moved every couple of years.

Yeah with the snow coming the contractors want to get under roof, seal the windows and crank up the propane heaters LOL

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great thread. I keep coming back to the forum just to see if it's been updated.

Posts: 117 | Registered: March 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Interestingly there are a few houses near my current place that have been under construction for 6 months and still have no roof. I'm amazed how slow many builders are.

(oh and I have no interest in central vacuum, friends have it and I'm not a fan).

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Got a video from a friend that stopped by for me. You can see they are preparing for the snow, windows boarded up or plastic in place, at least downstairs. They were still inside working.

These go to eleven.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Those guys are almost as fast as the Amish putting up a barn!

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Roof going on before the snow. Windows look like they are ready to install also.

These go to eleven.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Holy cow this thing is moving fast!!

Have you considered procuring some LED christmas lights now and getting them to staple 'em up for you, so they'll be OEM? Just a thought.... Razz

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
It's looking good.

My wife and I built this house in 2015. I have to warn you, nothing will test the relationship more than going through a construction project. There are so many things to pick out and choose that you can get overwhelmed and argue about it.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post