SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My house is built...Closed today March 5th. Video slideshow of the construction on page 8.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My house is built...Closed today March 5th. Video slideshow of the construction on page 8. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
It's looking good.

My wife and I built this house in 2015. I have to warn you, nothing will test the relationship more than going through a construction project. There are so many things to pick out and choose that you can get overwhelmed and argue about it.

LOL true I suppose. But we are well past picking things. We agreed on almost everything. She made some concessions to me and I did for her. We have similar tastes so it wasn’t difficult. Plus I don’t really care so much about a lot of options. The nice thing was she wanted to spend extra on truly valuable upgrades. Kitchen, deck, whole house generator. I’m pretty lucky.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
It's looking good.

My wife and I built this house in 2015. I have to warn you, nothing will test the relationship more than going through a construction project. There are so many things to pick out and choose that you can get overwhelmed and argue about it.

LOL true I suppose. But we are well past picking things. We agreed on almost everything. She made some concessions to me and I did for her. We have similar tastes so it wasn’t difficult. Plus I don’t really care so much about a lot of options. The nice thing was she wanted to spend extra on truly valuable upgrades. Kitchen, deck, whole house generator. I’m pretty lucky.

It sounds like you are very lucky and truly found a winner. Looks like you will have a very nice house when it's done too!

I am completely baffled at how fast it is going up compared to what I see here in South Florida. But I think some of the permitting process holds things up here.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you hire a good framer, he always has a good crew and high standards. I have a friend who is a home builder. He described how a good framer works. What I thought was interesting was how much the head of the crew (I forget the term) would ride the new guys until they got the message. For instance, when they were carrying lumber, he would make comments like "What the hell "guy's name," my wife could carry more sticks than that. It would become a source of pride within the crew about how much work they could do, and he would always make sure it was high quality work.

Posts: 117 | Registered: March 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maui19:
If you hire a good framer, he always has a good crew and high standards. I have a friend who is a home builder. He described how a good framer works. What I thought was interesting was how much the head of the crew (I forget the term) would ride the new guys until they got the message. For instance, when they were carrying lumber, he would make comments like "What the hell "guy's name," my wife could carry more sticks than that. It would become a source of pride within the crew about how much work they could do, and he would always make sure it was high quality work.

I’ve mentioned before they aren’t hiring many subs. Family of builders. The guy that sold me the house is the guy heading the framers and excavating and just about everything. I’m very lucky in that respect.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm a homebuilder and it takes us an average of 4-5 months to build a home. Old neighborhood I was in, we would take even a year to build a home. But then again, our demand is far outpacing our supply of contractors here. Our inspections are also quite strict here with the hurricane threat. Once it gets to drywall, it's all downhill from there.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I'm a homebuilder and it takes us an average of 4-5 months to build a home. Old neighborhood I was in, we would take even a year to build a home. But then again, our demand is far outpacing our supply of contractors here. Our inspections are also quite strict here with the hurricane threat. Once it gets to drywall, it's all downhill from there.

I think being winter is helping with resources now for us.

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Quick update. I didn’t take a lot of pictures today except for inside close ups. We met the builder and went over questions and options. Windows and roof are done. Electricians were working today. Siding starting Monday.

We were very happy with everything. The only snag we hit was we bought a fancy shower faucet and sprayer from Amazon and the plumber said the brand isn’t approved in Massachusetts. Then to install similar he wanted $600 extra. We said that was ridiculous and just put standard. I’d pay a couple hundred for a bit extra but $600 is insulting.

We are going on a cruise so no updates for a week and a half.

These go to eleven.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
brand isn’t approved in Massachusetts

What???

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:

What???

Possible the realtor wasn't relaying the info properly. But I swear it sounded like there is an approved roster just like for gun. I have no idea but they said some fixtures don't meet Massachusetts code.

ETA: Seems to be list of manufacturers approved by the Board of Registration of Plumbers and Gas Fitters. Sounds like some union kickback shit if you ask me.

These go to eleven.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

We were very happy with everything. The only snag we hit was we bought a fancy shower faucet and sprayer from Amazon and the plumber said the brand isn’t approved in Massachusetts. Then to install similar he wanted $600 extra. We said that was ridiculous and just put standard. I’d pay a couple hundred for a bit extra but $600 is insulting.

Have him put in the least expensive available. Have the wall guys put in an access panel (in the drywall) directly behind the faucet.

Once the house build is complete, replace the faucet (access panel is in case they need to be soldered out/in) and replace the shower head.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Have him put in the least expensive available. Have the wall guys put in an access panel (in the drywall) directly behind the faucet.

Once the house build is complete, replace the faucet (access panel is in case they need to be soldered out/in) and replace the shower head.

Good idea. I think I’ll just wait and put in a panel when I need to change something. Luckily the panel will be in the walk in closet. So it’s easy. We just wanted it plumbed for a separate sprayer. They want way too much money. So we will stick with standard fixtures.

These go to eleven.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Bump. Any updates?

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:

Might not be back yet. Smile

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
quote:

Might not be back yet. Smile

Doh, thanks for the reminder.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
In Florida now. I fly home tomorrow morning. I’ll post updated pics soon. Plumbing and electric are roughed in. Siding is started and deck is started. Drywall soon. We got a few updates from friends.

These go to eleven.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Florida now. I fly home tomorrow morning. I’ll post updated pics soon. Plumbing and electric are roughed in. Siding is started and deck is started. Drywall soon. We got a few updates from friends.

Lot faster than where I build. We have so many inspections:

form boards
slab
underground plumbing
underground electrical
lintel/tiebeam
frame 1
wall/roof
windows
boracare termite treatment
rough HVAC
rough gas
rough electrical
rough plumbing
rough low voltage
insulation
drywall
driveway/sidewalk
final HVAC
final gas
final electrical
final plumbing
final low voltage
irrigation
termite traps

Each trade is from a different vendor.

And people wonder why it takes 4-5 months to build a home...

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:

What???

Possible the realtor wasn't relaying the info properly. But I swear it sounded like there is an approved roster just like for gun. I have no idea but they said some fixtures don't meet Massachusetts code.

ETA: Seems to be list of manufacturers approved by the Board of Registration of Plumbers and Gas Fitters. Sounds like some union kickback shit if you ask me.
Maybe rules about how much water is alowed to flow?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Okay we stopped by today. Lots of work going on so we did the best we could to get a few pics. The drywall was being done today.

Kitchen. We ran into an issue with the spot for the hood vent. Because of the vaulted ceiling there was a double stud right up the center so they would not be able to get the vent out. I suggested the frame out the wall a bit so they can curve the vent pipe around the studs up higher without it being visible.

I think this is in the master BR. Not much to see. It's a huge room over the garage. In hindsight we could have had vaulted ceilings here too, but I guess we save on heating by keeping them low ceilings.

This is the garage, entry to house is shown.

Garage looking at the (soon to be) garage doors.

Some basement shots...

View out the master BR

Front of house...

Back of house

I think that covers it for now.

These go to eleven.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
RE "approved" fittings and fixtures in MA:

Yes indeed the plumber must install things listed in an approved database.

However, the local town/inspector can sign off on something not listed.

It's something routine now, and actually it's not as bad as the Firearms Roster, a ton of things are on it.

If the plumber or builder has a good relationship is can be a non issue.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
RE "approved" fittings and fixtures in MA:

Yes indeed the plumber must install things listed in an approved database.

However, the local town/inspector can sign off on something not listed.

It's something routine now, and actually it's not as bad as the Firearms Roster, a ton of things are on it.

If the plumber or builder has a good relationship is can be a non issue.

This particular plumber didn't seem to want to deal with it. He quoted $600 extra just to plumb for the shower faucet we had. All he would have needed was another outlet for the separate sprayer. We told him just go with the standard. I can get it done for much less after the fact if needed. It was honestly the first issue we've had with any of the builders.

These go to eleven.