SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electric or Battery Chain Saws - I'd like to hear your input & recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric or Battery Chain Saws - I'd like to hear your input & recommendations Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted
I'm considering one of these for light limb removal in the backyard & at the cabin. Have y'all used these? Corded or battery powered. What brands & sizes are you experienced with? Anything you'd share positive or negative related to brands would be helpful. This would not be used for felling standing trees.

I have a limb (blown down in a storm) I need to lop down into manageable pieces for starters. It's about five inches at the fat end, & I'll whack the smallish branches of it & cut it into firewood sized lengths.

I don't want to get involved with gas simply because I don't wish to futz around with it for infrequent usage.

Thank you in advance.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I would never have considered an electric chainsaw. Battery technology and brushless motors have made a huge difference. I don't own one, but would suggest looking at Stihl. They know chainsaws, so would seem to have a leg up on other power tool companies.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got the DeWalt 60V 16" chainsaw and have been very happy with it.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
For light use, these are fine.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...-chainsaw-64497.html

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Greenworks pole saw. They come in 40, 60 and 80V versions. The handle is modular so you can adjust the length. I do recommend buying the larger A.H. battery also.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a electric plug in one. Its better than knawing thru the branch with you teeth. Thats about as complimentary as I can get with it. I would definately look at the new battery operated ones. I have heard very good things about the Dewalt ones. Have seen youtube vids that the Dewalt actually is faster than gas powered similar size saws. I have not used a battery powered one yet.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have a 16” corded electric marketed by Poulan. I’ve used it for exactly the type of use you are talking about, for around 20 years. It is light, easy to use, quiet, and just about as maintenance-free as a chain saw can be. Think it cost around $60.

I have a Stihl gas-powered saw for firewood cutting. It’s a better saw but far more expensive and maintenance intensive.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Before I learned about ready-mixed two-cycle fuel, I used to dislike gas saws because of the noise and need to mix and store the fuel. So I purchased a Makita UC4030A corded electric saw which I used with my Honda generator. The Makita is a very capable saw, probably not as strong as many gas saws, but it is no slouch. Less noise and maintenance.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Do you have a Reciprocating Saw by any chance? I have a chain saw but often use these in my cordless Milwaukee Sawzall...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTE...ng-Saw-Blade/1208287

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:

This right here. I use mine for light to medium work. If I need to take a big tree down I use the Stihl. Once it is down and needs to be limbed and cut up I go back to the DeWalt.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I have a small (14" ??) Remington corded electric that works quite well and has for some years.

I used my sister's Kobalt/Lowes 80V / 18" cordless chainsaw earlier in the year and that thing is a beast. Battery lasts a long time and cut all manner of small trees and limbs with it. It lasted longer than I did.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
quote:

This right here. I use mine for light to medium work. If I need to take a big tree down I use the Stihl. Once it is down and needs to be limbed and cut up I go back to the DeWalt.

I have the 40w and 2.5 acres of trees. Does everything I need. Battery does run out quickly, but I have two batteries and get most everything done, I need, between the set.

I won't go back to gas.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Do you have a Reciprocating Saw by any chance? I have a chain saw but often use these in my cordless Milwaukee Sawzall...

I agree with this idea. My reciprocating saw is a Ryobi cordless 18V and works great for pruning and cutting up limbs up to around 4-5 in. Anything bigger I use my Stihl 16" gas chain saw.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a refurbed Homelite 14" plug in five years ago for $32 and it's still going strong. I don't use it all that much but it goes when I need it to with little care. Lube up with vegetable oil and it's ready to go. I cut down a small tree, cut up some fallen limbs, and made relatively quick work of a large apple tree that fell in a storm. I considered a bigger and more powerful gas powered husky or stihl but they're far more than I need at home and would only encourage me to go to my cabin and do something overly ambitious.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am going to use my Sawzall to remove the limbs. I just wanted to add a chainsaw to the arsenal for the heavier stuff.

Greenworks looks to have decent bang for the buck in a 14" saw. Coupla' hundred bucks with battery & charger. I checked out some Youtube vids on it. It seems to be what I'm looking for.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned my Poulan electric chainsaw for decades, and it is still going strong. I use it for pruning and downed limbs. The cord is a PITA in my way of thinking. I purchased a 40V battery operated pole saw three years ago for the "tall stuff". It does a great job, so I plan to get the chainsaw that uses the same battery whenever they go on sale again. These are light duty rigs, but that is exactly what I need. If I need a bit more saw that the battery saws can handle, then out comes the Poulan saw.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Kobalt brand from Lowes (80v). With 2 batteries and a charger it will work longer than I can. Most of the trees that I am cutting are less than 12". Also purchased weedeater, leafblower, etc that work with the 80v batteries. They are used a lot and have taken quite a bit of abuse. If my current lawn mower ever quits, will probably buy the kobalt lawn mower as well. Love not having to deal with 2-cycle oil.

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

Yes that is good and is my 2nd favorite pruning blade but it won't work as well as a Diablo Carbide pruning blade 3 tpi These blades are amazing for pruning especially in a full size 1 1/8" 1 1/4" stroke Reciprocating Saw.

This is the 9" one. They also make a 12" version.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Di...e-DS0903CP/301697671

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I have the Ryobi 40v battery chainsaw. Works great. I also have the mower, hedge trimmer and string trimmer. Would recommend.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have the earlier 40v version and have been extremely happy with it. I also got the string trimmer that takes the same battery, and with the two batteries, I tend to wear out long before the batteries do.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post