SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When to get a second cat?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When to get a second cat? Login/Join 
posted
I picked up a Maine Coon cat just over a week ago and he is slowly getting used to the house. He was picked up from a rescue group who got him from a county animal shelter when he was sick. I had tried to adopt from the shelter but due to his illness they would not release him to me. So the wonderful volunteers at the local rescue group had him in their care for 2 weeks and as soon as they let me I brought him home and continued his medical care. He had a bad upper respiratory infection but is almost totally over it now.

I work 4-5 days a week, 12-14 hours at a time and would like him to have some company besides the tv to keep him happy. How long should I give him to get comfortable before getting him a friend? Will it be better to get him a female to be friends with? He is fixed and so would whatever cat I get as I would like to adopt from a shelter. He will have full time access to a screened porch once I buy a cat flap big enough for his wide butt.

Posts: 1158 | Location: Near Orlando, FL | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
If they are fixed, it really doesn’t matter.

Some cats get along just fine. Some don’t. We have 7 cats from the same litter. Some get along with some of their siblings and not at all with some others. I don’t know any way to predict that. Most are allowed out in daylight and they seem to coexist with the other 7 cats just fine. You just have to try, I guess.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started with just a female rescue. She seemed fine by herself, but I added a male rescue to the house, and now they are best friends (after the standard normalization phase). They still come to me for attention, but both are quite content following each other around the house and keeping each other company.

I'm in a similar long work shift situation. Knowing what I know now, 2 cats are the way to go.

Posts: 486 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Good on you FF. We rescued our boy cat in October and then found the rescued a girl cat in December. They were only 3 or 4 months old each at the time but they weren't real fond of each other at first.

We took a few days and kept them apart and then slowly introduced them to each other. It took a few weeks for them to be friends and now they are very happy together.

I'd say if you're ready for a 2nd one go for it now but just keep them apart for a few days and ease them into the same room and take it slow.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
The only thing I would say is try to get around the same age? We have an older female and then adopted a fairly young male it took a year or so of him constantly harassing her in one way or another. They have been together now about 5 years and they love each others company. It was a struggle for awhile. Every situation is different with cats...

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
When we went to the pound we got two at the same time, they were kittens and they've grown up together and are best friends, I think they think they are litter mates. The cuddle with each other, clean each other and move in tandem with each other (we call it synchro kitties).

I'd say earlier rather than later so he doesn't get set in his ways and get use to being an only kitty.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd wait until the Maine Coon is completely healthy before introducing a companion. He doesn't need the stress while still recuperating and getting used to new surroundings.

Maybe at least two weeks after this goal before trying, but he'll be a much happier boy when he has a friend, I'll guarantee that!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Get him/them some climbing toys--for a grown Maine Coon it probably should be a big one. The ones with places to hide inside are nice, too. My 6 cats 8-10 years old have 3 big climbing arrays in the living room and another on the screened porch they can access.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No real help from me. As others have posted, some cats bond, others don't. Something else to consider: When I had multiple cats, they delighted in chasing each other. The leaping and climbing during the chase was amazing. And hard on the furnishings!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I would wait until his is healthy before introducing any companions.
Perhaps he would bond with a fixed kitten.
Introduce the new family member gradually.
My newest cat, have 3 inside and one outside, is a Maine Coon kitten.
They are a very social, intelligent breed and love to be around one main prson.
Good luck.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I was told by the vet last week to wait until he is totally over his upper respiratory infection as apparently it is very contagious. He is still getting comfortable around the house so I will wait a few more weeks and then look for a pal for him. I am thinking of a female cat this time as I hope that will increase my chances of them being buds. I hope to find another Maine Coon.

Posts: 1158 | Location: Near Orlando, FL | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I have no input other than your cat really needs to work on his posture when sitting. Smile
Good luck with him and any other cats you might adopt.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
We’ve always had two cats and only until the latest addition , the tiger striped one named Oliver , have we ever had two that enjoyed each other’s company let alone liked each other.

But Fenwick & Oliver are like brothers.
They play without hissing or hurting each other and even hang out & sleep on or next to each other.
We’re really happy with these fur balls.... & they choose SIG as their bedside gun !!

Good luck on your next addition to your family !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I had a home with two cats for years, some got along great, some wouldn't even acknowledge each other. I'd get the second one as soon as this one is 100% well, there's no upside in waiting. We always kept them separate for a couple of days, that let them get the scent of a another one in the house.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Out of the mainstream here, over almost forty years, we've had three cats, each one the only cat in the house.

The first one absolutely hated all other cats, seeing one outside would send him off. We learned to steer clear of him until his bad mood passed. Real clear. Eek He was otherwise a great cat and got all he needed from us.

We treated the next two the same. They've never wanted for attention, play, exercise and interaction with other beings. Our cats have been almost dog-like, following us around, in the middle of everything when they haven't slept.

It takes more on our part but that's why we have had cats so it's a pleasure.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I agree with JAllen.

Some cats like other cats better than others. Mostly they can at least co-exist with other cats. In my experience there aren't many who simply cannot tolerate another cat, but I guess it is possible. I don't know how to predict which are more social. I'd guess an older cat might be more set in its ways, and might have a harder time adapting to a new cat.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when you get a letter from a cat with a resume attached ,
then after two or three meetings you should be able to come to an agreement
re: dual occupancy , after a the
lawyers draw up the pertinent papers
and non disclosure requirements are met.

and then there is the room mate agreement

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don’t think it’s a given that your cat needs another cat for companionship.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking the time to get a second cat is after you got the first cat.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I don’t think it’s a given that your cat needs another cat for companionship.
No, but having a playmate during extended hours when the human staff is unavailable probably lessens the impact on the furnishings.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post