SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weapons Training Likely Causes Brain Injury in Troops, Study Says
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weapons Training Likely Causes Brain Injury in Troops, Study Says Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
WSJ
April 30, 2018

WASHINGTON—Thousands of U.S. troops are likely suffering traumatic brain injury not just from battlefield explosions but from repeated exposure to trauma while training on their own weapons, according to a new study.

Service members, even those who may not have seen combat but specialize in using high explosives or weapons such as rocket launchers, could have lasting brain damage from the pounding on their necks and heads, researchers at the Center for a New American Security said in a report released Monday. The defense think tank is a nonprofit organization funded by the federal government and public- and private-sector donors.

“It’s analogous to people getting hits to the head in sports, playing football or boxing,” said Paul Scharre, a senior fellow at the center. “This is not really well understood, the primary blast effects on the brain. Exactly how it affects the brain is unclear, but the fact that it is having some kind of negative effect is now being shown.”

Shoulder-fired rockets and rocket-propelled grenades don’t shoot away with a “whoosh” as they are sometimes portrayed in movies. They go off with an ear-ringing boom that troops sometimes liken to getting punched in the side of the head. The Defense Department has long acknowledged this and has limits on the number of rounds troops can fire at any given time. But the Pentagon didn’t take a hard look at the harm these blasts could cause until recently.

The Department of Defense started diagnosing and tracking traumatic brain injury just before the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan began. TBI has become one of the signature injuries of the current generation of troops, with some 380,000 personnel affected by it, according to the Defense Department.

The military sporadically has used blast gauges, small devices worn on troops’ helmets or body armor, to better understand the effects of explosions in combat. Researchers began to notice that these gauges weren’t just registering substantial blasts in combat, but in training, too.

Researchers drew on Defense Department data, blast-effect research on animal subjects and computer modeling to reach their conclusions, noting that military officials have expressed concern about the issue and say it needs further examination. Researchers and officials say available data is insufficient.

Using weapons such as shoulder-fired rockets in combat and training is a necessity, Mr. Scharre said, but the military can do more to manage the risks. One of the reports’ recommendations is for the military to track when troops fire the weapons in training, partly so troops can be treated for injuries later and compensated for disabilities.

“They would have a record of times of exposure, how frequent, the amount of ammunition shot and over what time period,” said Lauren Fish, co-author of the report.

The military can also do more to develop helmets that protect troops from the blast wave that splits the air in an explosion, researchers said. Those helmets could include jaw protection and visors to resemble a motorcycle-racing helmet, which may not be practical in combat but would be useful in training environments.

Representatives from a number of veterans’ advocacy organizations, including those who help vets with disability claims, said they haven’t noticed vets complaining about the problem or making claims to the Department of Veterans Affairs for compensation in the matter.

That could be because there isn’t a major problem, or because vets don’t yet realize the problem. It took time for those affected to recognize the long-term effects of Agent Orange on their health.

VA spokesman Curt Cashour said the department hasn’t undertaken the time-consuming process of reviewing individual cases to determine whether vets are claiming harm from repeated exposure in training. He said the VA and the Pentagon “are studying the effects of mild TBI that can be caused by blast exposure in both active-duty service members and veterans,” but those enrolled in current research don’t show effects from repeated exposure to their own weapons.

The Defense Department didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this article. The diagnosis of traumatic brain injury is particularly difficult and involves extensive neuropsychological testing for a credible result. MRIs and such merely show structural changes in the brain and do not correlate well with functional limitations.

The epidemic of current vets with TBI is largely due to the exposure to IEDs. Even if you are not killed by the blast, the concussive wave causes damage to the brain.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This explains why the GI's who returned from WW II were not able to go to college or accomplish anything in their careers. Roll Eyes

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Thank you for posting this article. The diagnosis of traumatic brain injury is particularly difficult and involves extensive neuropsychological testing for a credible result. MRIs and such merely show structural changes in the brain and do not correlate well with functional limitations.

The epidemic of current vets with TBI is largely due to the exposure to IEDs. Even if you are not killed by the blast, the concussive wave causes damage to the brain.

Functional MRI's do show metabolic activity in the brain and show changes due to TBI, but they are expensive.

According to an Army Col. that managed a program on TBI, 80% of TBI incidents occur in garrison, not combat. I don't have a copy of his presentation to share with you, unfortunately.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
quote:
computer modeling

When I see the above words as part of a study my training tells me the study is likely to be B.S.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
My high school English teacher was an Artillery Captain during WW2, he did have bouts of sudden, uncontrolled flinching.

So, in his regards... yes, using your weapon can cause damage, doesn't mean it makes you a useless jellyfish. However, it can and does cause damage.

As well as being on the receiving end of things as well, seems they have just discovered "TBI".

It been aropund a while, is real and can be incapacitating and debilitating.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leavemebe:
quote:
computer modeling

When I see the above words as part of a study my training tells me the study is likely to be B.S.
[thread drift] Out of legit curiosity, what is your training that makes you distrust computer modeling (which is used in a bazillion different ways in modern research and tech)? Or is it one particular type of modeling?

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Brain injury is no joke, but not having a superior fighting force is 10 X worse.

These weasels constantly trying to make the case for bubble wrapping everyone need to be grabbed by the lapels and shook - hard.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brain injury is no joke, but not having a superior fighting force is 10 X worse.

No argument there. Hearing loss has been mitigated to some degree by technology. I recall plenty of film with the GIs having cigarette butts for ear protection.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I’ll bet Gunny is rolling over in his grave.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Oh for fuck's sake. Roll Eyes

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's it - suppressors for all our troops !!!

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I believe this is something that some good technology couldn't improve on. Put a buch of engineers and physicists in a room, and after they tell you it can't be done, tell them sorry it must be done, and you can't go home until you solve it.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Of course, the goal is eliminating morbidity and mortality in war.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:
quote:
computer modeling

[thread drift] Out of legit curiosity, what is your training that makes you distrust computer modeling (which is used in a bazillion different ways in modern research and tech)? Or is it one particular type of modeling?

Slight thread drift response: Started in the 70’s modeling ecosystems. Moved to water quality and nutrient cycling. Working for the state was not much fun and got into pharmacology and toxicology modeling the effects of drugs and toxins on humans and animals in the 80’s. Been working in drug development since the early 90’s.

The utility of modeling biological systems and health impacts is limited because we still do not understand many things very well. In contrast, doing an actual prospective study, properly designed, well controlled, statistically powered and competently executed will give you good data. Others then need to replicate the study and the results to show that the results are repeatable.

I basically go by this rule of thumb: “All models are wrong but some models can be useful”. I try to find the useful ones when appropriate.

Note that engineering type modeling, say airflow over a wing, are a lot more straight forward but can still throw bad results.

TBI is a problem and can be difficult to diagnose. Treatment options also remain limited across the entire spectrum of injury. I'd prefer to see DOD spending money conducting and repeating solid studies to make sure we understand the parameters of the problem. For example, what is the impact of the blast wave on various organelles and the time-course of those impacts? Then throw the necessary research and engineering resources into mitigating those impacts.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
For example, what is the impact of the blast wave on various organelles and the time-course of those impacts? Then throw the necessary research and engineering resources into mitigating those impacts.

Can you drop me an email at the address in my public profile? Thanks.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

No argument there. Hearing loss has been mitigated to some degree by technology. I recall plenty of film with the GIs having cigarette butts for ear protection.
Or .45ACP cartridges.

Regarding the OP: lack of weapons training likely causes premature death....

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post