SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Generator Starter Needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Generator Starter Needed Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I am looking for one of these: Nippondenso 128000-0080 / 73a-81800-50 for a Yamaha 5000 watt generator. It's an old one (1986 vintage).

Hopefully for a reasonable price. I have found a number available from supply houses, but they are priced $365 to $385 and above, which seems pretty high for a 5000 watt generator starter.

Alternatively, can the one I own be rebuilt? It has a brush welded to the commutator and might have a ground short in the armature windings.

I am trying to fix this for a reasonable price for my father. Any suggestions are gratefully received.

Thanks.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I would take it by a local motor/starter/alternator rebuild shop and see what they say. If it can be rebuilt they should be able to do it cheaper than a new one.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks! That may well be the best option.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
denso Repair parts

You need to find a resource that will allow you to cross reference the starter number and find a reman.

Check with a automotive parts store, they may have a cross reference lookup so you can get a kit or reman unit...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post