SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Penzey's "spice delivery" - Excessive liberal preaching free with every order.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penzey's "spice delivery" - Excessive liberal preaching free with every order. Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
A relative sent me copies of a couple emails from this company. I looked them up on Wikipedia. They are already trying to promote themselves at the expense of the Vegas shooting by vilifying others through politics of division.

From Wikipedia
William Penzey, Sr. and Ruth Ann Penzey opened a coffee and spice business in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1957 which would be called The Spice House.[5] Their son, William Penzey, Jr., began working in the business as a youth. Over time The Spice House focused on selling spices.[6] In 1986, at the age of 22, William Jr. launched a catalog business of his own.[7] The business grew steadily, and in 1994 Penzeys opened its first retail store. As of 2013, there are 69 Penzeys stores throughout the country.
In 2008 the company published its history in a book How We Became One.
After the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election, Bill Penzey, Jr. criticized Donald Trump and his supporters in an email to his customers.[8] The store reported increase in sales after the letter went out.[9] link

Here is their Las Vegas message:

Tomorrow ends $9.95 wonderfully versatile Fox Point Seasoning, yours with any $5 purchase. And with 10/4/17 being the actual 60th anniversary of the release of Bridge on the River Kwai, we've brought back the flat-out free $7.95 really tasty Bangkok Blend. Combined, these 2 blends are a $17.90 value with only a $5 purchase. And on top of all that, our well-worth-it $34.95 Soul Boxes are back to their introductory price of $20 each, $15 in quantities of 2 or more through tomorrow as well. Don't put this off.

And now free regular shipping with just $20 in spending rather than the usual $30, but only until tomorrow!

No coupon or code needed for the free regular shipping with $20 in spending rather than the usual $30, or the $20 Soul Boxes ($15 in quantities of 2 or more). To get your Fox Point and Bangkok in our stores, just bring in this email or the coupons below. No purchase needed for the Bangkok Blend, and just a $5 purchase for Fox Point. Online at penzeys.com, for Bangkok Blend enter 10353C into the apply code box. For Fox Point the code is 21553C, but you will need to have at least $5 in spending for it to work. No need to place either in your basket, the codes do that automatically.

Thanks,

Bill
bill@penzeys.com

A note on Las Vegas:
We were planning to start this free shipping with just $20 spending instead of the usual $30 in an emailing yesterday, but with the news out of Las Vegas it seemed right to hold off. Visiting family out that way over the years we've stayed at that very location a half dozen times. Just this past July, looking out those windows down onto the Strip, I never imagined... For those that forever lost loved ones, for those forced to witness that loss, for everyone who makes up the greater community of the southern end of the Strip, there will be an extra weight to be carried for years to come; for many for the rest of their lives. And for what? It really is something right out of the Bridge on the River Kwai. It really is "Madness."

I think we were all ready for the prepared, well-rehearsed NRA talking points that this is not the place—that now is not the time—to talk about why so many lives must be lost time after time. And those well-rehearsed words were indeed delivered by so many of our elected officials beholden to today's NRA. But where in the past their unified repeating of these words had somehow created a sense of unified defense, this time they just ring hollow. Yesterday so many across so many platforms were already willing to challenge the gun lobby and say of course directly in the wake of a shooting like Las Vegas it is absolutely both the place and time to talk sense about guns. This is something very different, something very hopeful.

Yes, to swear to uphold the Constitution is to swear to uphold its Second Amendment, and with it Americans' right to keep and bear arms. But it's also equally a pledge to regulate militias well. As much as it seems today we are willing to accept individuals as militias, clearly in the quantity and types of weapons possessed by Sunday night's shooter we've failed to uphold the half of the second amendment that its writers felt came first. The right to keep and bear arms is undeniable, but there is no right to self regulate the type or quantity of arms and ammunition that can be kept. That job falls to Congress.

The time has come for our leaders in Washington to take inspiration from the heroes in Las Vegas who had the courage to time and again place themselves in harm's way to save those who fell around them. It's time for our representatives in government to stop doing the job the gun lobby is paying them to do, and start doing the job they were elected to do. If only after Sandy Hook Congress would have shown a tiny fraction of the courage the heroes of Sunday night displayed, thousands less would be grieving today.

At the heart of cooking is the notion of when we look out for and take care of each other the world becomes a better place. Letting the gun industry write our gun laws is pretty much the opposite of taking care of each other. All it takes is a bit of backbone to cast the simple common sense votes that each year could save hundreds of thousands of Americans from losing loved ones to senseless gun violence. No one should have to witness what so many in Las Vegas witnessed Sunday night. Please speak out, and please don't wait. Now is always the time.

Thanks again,
Bill

And here is their Trump message:

Midnight ends the chance for a free $9.95 Fox Point with any $5 purchase, flat-out free $7.95 Bangkok Blend, $34.95 Soul Boxes for only $20, and free regular shipping with just $20 in spending rather than the usual $30, a total combined $52.85 value for just $20. Plus free shipping.

No coupon or code needed for the free regular shipping with $20 in spending rather than the usual $30, or the $20 Soul Boxes ($15 in quantities of 2 or more). To get your Fox Point and Bangkok online at penzeys.com, for Bangkok Blend enter 10353C into the apply code box. For Fox Point the code is 21553C, but you will need to have at least $5 in spending for it to work. No need to place either in your basket, the codes do that automatically.

Why such a good deal? It's part of our efforts to bring attention to the sixtieth anniversary of the release of The Bridge on the River Kwai. Kwai certainly was a movie for its day, winning seven Oscars including best actor for Alec Guinness. But it's also a story very much for today in its tale of how the British Colonel Nicholson played by Guinness was turned, through pride and the need for self-value, to be working for the very forces of totalitarianism he had spent a lifetime standing against. The Bridge on the River Kwai is also a film of redemption where, in his last moment, Col. Nicholson is given the chance to make amends.

If you have a parent or grandparent who, after a lifetime of standing up for American values, has now fallen under the spell of the current administration, I highly recommend getting this film for them and watching it with them if you can. So many in this group grew up watching this film with fathers that gave so much of themselves beating back the totalitarianism of the Axis 75 years ago. They saw what that war took out of their fathers, uncles, grandfathers, but yet still today are letting those forces creep back into our world. There's no such thing as being just a little bit Nazi. This film gives us the chance to have the conversation in a way that hits home. They grew up horrified by Colonel Nicholson's actions, and now he is what they have become.

Redemption. Voting for an openly racist candidate for the Presidency of the United States of America is a racist act. Does that make all those who voted for the President racists? Not exactly. It's time we recognize that in America we are suffering the consequences of a propaganda bubble unlike anything we've witnessed in our lifetimes. Never have so many believed so much that simply isn’t true, while at the same time being shielded from the actual reality all around them. At the time of the election, this propaganda bubble was being inflated by the Republican Party, the former KGB, and Fox News. For those inside the bubble, there was little awareness about the realities of who they were being pushed to vote for.

Coming up on a year since the election it's getting harder and harder to honestly hold the belief that a vote for the President was a vote for American values. One of the things I admire most about conservatives is their sincerity in their belief that they take responsibility for their actions. As Lincoln said, we can all be fooled some of the time; there is no shame in that. The trick is to not fall into the crowd that can be fooled all the time. What matters is what you do next; you can dig your heels in and become what you've stood up against your whole life. Or you can simply make amends and move on.

After Colonel Nicholson reached his "What have I done?" moment he found his plunger to fall on to set things right with dramatic effect. For those who reach the point of wanting to make amends, each must find their own path. If you are not sure of the way forward, there's a lot to be said for walking away from those who intentionally fooled you. Turn off the Fox News, encourage others to do the same, and then move on to happier days.

Thanks for reading,

Bill
bill@penzeys.com

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The guy is a piece of shit. I'm ashamed that they have a store in my hometown. I wish nothing but misery and failure for him and his company.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Damn idiot!! I liked several of their blends, especially Foxpoint seasoning. No more.

thanks for posting.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill is delusional, and a GDC, but I repeat myself.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Dyed in the wool lifelong democrat. Not surprising at all.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
After his rants against Trump voters last year, I’ll never spend a dime again at this sanctimonious asshole’s company. He basically told anyone who was a customer who voted Trump to fuck off.

His sister owns and operates The Spice House and she stays nice and neutral and doesn’t berate or lecture her customers, she’s my go-to from now on.

Posts: 33806 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
His sister owns and operates The Spice House and she stays nice and neutral and doesn’t berate or lecture her customers, she’s my go-to from now on.

It's his daughter, and they are my go-to as well. Excellent spices and excellent service. I've been buying from them for years and even make the occasional pilgrimage there when I'm in town.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
After his rants against Trump voters last year, I’ll never spend a dime again at this sanctimonious asshole’s company. He basically told anyone who was a customer who voted Trump to fuck off.

Yep, I called my local store and cancelled my quarterly catalog. I'll never set foot in there again.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

It's his daughter, and they are my go-to as well. Excellent spices and excellent service. I've been buying from them for years and even make the occasional pilgrimage there when I'm in town.

Yes, they even had a "NoPolitics" coupon code after one of Daddy's recent rants. And as said, excellent customer service.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
His mention of Republican propaganda????
What?
The liberals wrote the book on propaganda.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
+1 for Spice House for the aforementioned reasons.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
His apparent level of contempt and hate for conservatives is such that I wouldn't trust anything his company ships to an area that is predominately conservative.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We loved their spices and used to get their catalogs and email notifications ALL the time, right up till the election. And then? Nothing, nada, zero.
I was wondering what the hell happened then came across something online about some type of program businesses are able to run that correlates buying habits/web sites thru email addresses that allows them to filter out 'undesirables'. Kind of scary.
I'd bet that's what happened to us, it wasn't a coincidence.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
quote:

Yes, they even had a "NoPolitics" coupon code after one of Daddy's recent rants. And as said, excellent customer service.

Glad to hear the apple fell far from that rotten tree.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bill Penzey, the liberal whackjob CEO of Penzey's Spices is the BROTHER of the woman who runs The Spice House.

quote:

...The firestorm that encompassed Penzeys for the weekend also happened to pepper The Spice House as well. A Milwaukee business that has familial ties to Penzeys Spices, The Spice House, is run by Bill Penzey's sister, Patty Erd, and her husband Tom; however, the company has no business connection to Penzeys Spices.

But that didn't prevent The Spice House from feeling the effects from the whole controversy. On Friday morning, the company, which operates two shops in Wisconsin and three in Illinois, said the following on Facebook:

"We are fielding many calls today from folks angry with another spice company," the post reads. "While I am related by family to that company's owner, our companies are not related in any way. My husband and I are very careful to never bring politics or personal opinions into our spice company, they have no business there. We value all of our customers so very much. Heck, I would not even want to get into a subjective debate over which cinnamon is the best!"

Still, even though they sought to distance themselves from the politics, that didn't stop The Spice House from attempting to grow their customer base off the whole debacle.

"We welcome those of you looking for a new spice company just about the spices with no side helping of politics," the company tweeted. "Use NOPOLITICS 4 free shipng (sic)..."

Penzeys CEO comments about Trump voters ignite backlash, praise and promises of boycott

Posts: 33806 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bill Penzey, the liberal whackjob CEO of Penzey's Spices is the BROTHER of the woman who runs The Spice House.

https://www.thespicehouse.com/pages/about

posted Hide Post
I love their spices, and bought a Lot from them but when that letter went out I instantly had them remove me from their mailing list.

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

https://www.thespicehouse.com/pages/about

Bill Penzey, Sr, the founder of Penzeys is dead. It's the son, Bill Penzey Jr who is the crazy Trump-voting-customer-hater and whacko and brother of Patty Erd, the owner of The Spice House.

Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
I bought from both places over the years, but now I'm a Spice House kinda guy, all the way.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

This, I bailed on Penzey's last year thanks to Sigforum and order from The Spice House. Mixing politics and business is just stupid IMO unless your business revolves around social issues.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post