SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Don't smoke while transporting a gas grill
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't smoke while transporting a gas grill Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Some things shouldn't have to be said Roll Eyes

A Florida couple transporting a propane barbecue grill inside their SUV was injured Sunday after a woman lit a cigarette, sparking an explosion.

The grill was turned on and the propane tank was open in the back of the red Kia Sorento when the couple left a barbecue at the Central Florida Fairgrounds, Orlando police Lt. Cindy Lane told the Orlando Sentinel

After the explosion, the vehicle kept traveling until it crashed into a pole, according to Lane.

Both people inside the SUV sustained burns, but their injuries are not life-threatening, FOX35 Orlando reported.

Photos of the SUV posted by the Orlando Police Department show the vehicle's roof partially blown off.

The photos posted by police also show the windshield blown out, and dents all over the vehicle.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...ights-cigarette.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
They're lucky to be alive. I imagine they're deaf or damn near deaf now.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23248 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Life can be tough when you're stupid.

Posts: 26903 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
LOL, fucking Florida never disappoints.
I'm not sure how you don't smell your car filling with propane.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Hahahahahahaha.....thats all I have, wow!

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:

I can smell when mine fills with gas. I usually lock the window on my wifes passenger side!!!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
You might not smell the mercaptan if a passenger ate White Castle and drank Stroh's the night before...

In all seriousness, there is nothing in everyday life that smells like mercaptan. If you smell mercaptan you have a gas leak and need to take immediate action (ventilate as youl evacuate, and then shutoff {you or the pros}).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23248 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Well, since nobody died or was too seriously injured...

This cracks me up:
quote:

After the explosion, the vehicle kept traveling until it crashed into a pole...

...the windshield blown out, and dents all over the vehicle.

Seems like even propane and a lit cigarette can't fix stupid. I mean, they couldn't smell the propane?!?! WTAF, over?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

She must have been smoking Menthols!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

She must have been smoking Menthols!

Or Propane light 100's.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
It's almost impossible to understand how nobody died in that, unless the FD tore that all apart with equipment to get them out. That is an incredible amount of damage!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Timing is important.

"Don't light that cigarette yet. Wait a couple more minutes 'till we're on the Interstate."

I don't know what one of those is supposed to look like, but that isn't gonna buff out.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Amazing no one was killed in "The Big Red Egg"

I see a new warning label in the offing!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
It's almost impossible to understand how nobody died in that, unless the FD tore that all apart with equipment to get them out. That is an incredible amount of damage!

The rear door is actually in two pieces in that photo. If you look, you can see that the inner panel is still connected to the body of the car.

It looks like all of that is blast damage, not FD damage.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened to a co-worker who was tailgaiting at a baseball game. She put the tank in the car before the game, and came back a few hours later.

I imagine the beers had something to do with why she couldn't smell it.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The grill was turned on and the propane tank was open in the back of the red Kia Sorento when the couple left a barbecue at the Central Florida Fairgrounds, ...

I don't know about you....
but I always make sure the gas is off both at the knobs and at the tank before I even take the meat off of the grill.
When transporting a tank, I not only double check that the tank is closed, but I put one of those plastic safety things on it.
These people are idiots.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Looks like, for awhile there, that was kind of a nice car.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
They're lucky to be alive. I imagine they're deaf or damn near deaf now.

What???

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This would make a great Liberty Mutual commercial.

Posts: 12680 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post