SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do we have any Suunto watch fans here?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do we have any Suunto watch fans here? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
On an impulse I scooped up a Suunto core watch for $99 shipped on Black Friday from Jomashop. I have to say as a somewhat hardcore automatic watch enthusiast this damn quartz watch surprised me. The barometer, altimeter, compass and thermometer and dual time are all very cool functions. It also has a built in timer, alarm, chrono, and full screen illumination function. The user interface is pretty good too, I don’t rank it as intuitive as say a solar Seiko Digital Tuna/ SBEP003/007 but it’s pretty easy to operate.

If we have any Suunto fans here I gotta ask, what is your favorite model? This is apparently the entry level watch and I know basically nothing about this brand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I wear a Suunto Spartan Trainer HR daily and have for probably 3 years now so it is an older model which has been replaced by the Suunto 5.
When I bought this it was more on the high end as they were just getting into the “smart watch” world.
I bought it mainly for hiking and off-roading so that I could always get back to where I started. Have not gotten out in the woods much over the last two years so it mainly just charts my bike rides and let’s me know who is texting or calling.

I’ll likely buy a higher end model if/when this goes kaput.

Also when I bought mine years ago they were very difficult to come by in the states and took me almost 6 months to get.
While the package arrived directly from Finland. I found that they had transitioned some of their manufacturing to China.
My Spartan was one of them. I am guessing I missed out on the Finnish made models and had to wait for the Chinese production to kick in. Though that is only a guess as when I ordered they were touted as being made in Finland (I think some models still are) but sadly mine says designed in Finland and Made in China.

My next model will be a Finnish made model or I won’t buy it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
It's still on sale there https://www.jomashop.com/suunt...tch-ss014279010.html

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have the X-Lander Military. I have had it for about seven years, made in Finland. Oddly enough, it is my most accurate quartz watch. I haven't checked lately but I think it runs about a second or two fast every few months.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I probably should have clarified this earlier but one of the things I like about this watch is all the “smart” functions it has while still not being connected to any sort of internet, phone service or or wireless system. Compared to a smart watch it’s basic AF but compared to an automatic/mechanical chronometer or top shelf chronograph it’s performance is spectacular. If it had a moon and tide phase built in it would be arguably the one watch I would ever need.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have had a Suunto on wrist for the better part of fifteen years and haven't had a single problem. Great watch!!!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wore a Core for a better part of a decade, one of the best watches I've every owned. Replaced the watch band several times; while attending the Outdoor Retailer show, the Suunto booth would have a warranty tech there to replace the battery and clean it up a bit. Early on during OEF/OIF, Suunto watches were pretty common to see amongst SOF guys who understood better gear.

That's an extraordinary price....

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I have two Cores, including the exact model you're wearing. IMHO, they're excellent. One of them is my 'knock around' outdoor watch. Its nice to know the altitude and should you wind up 'temporarily disoriented' out in nature, having a compass on your wrist is handy.

Their batteries require more frequent changing, but they're designed to make swaps easy for owners. Other than a broken band, no problems at all.

That model is also sorta like the fictional watch from the recent Equalizer movies with Denzel Washington.

Quality analog watches are nice, but they normally pale in comparison to the utilitarian features of a good digi watch.

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Are the temperature and altitude features like the one on my Casio? On my Casio the temperature is only correct when the watch isn't worn for about 20 minutes because your body heat warns it up when worn. The altitude is based on barometric pressure, so you have to set a base altitude and it keeps accurate altitudes after that until the weather changes.

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yes, the thermometer is most accurate if you set the watch down for 5 minutes. I have read your body heat will add around 15° to the thermometer but if you are swimming it will give you a closer reading to the water temp while still being worn.

I’m still fiddling with the altimeter and barometer functions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
I have a Suunto Vector watch that I purchased in 1999 or so. It has worked out very well for me, and I wore it every day during the cancer treatments. I love this watch. Only problem is that it seems Suunto doesnot support of this model of Vector anymore, so, I have not been able to buy a cap for the battery chamber with an O-ring. I am bummed that I havent been able to find a replacement.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Sunnto Core that has been my EDC watch for the last few years. I replaced the silicone band with a black metal band. Be aware that the battery usually only lasts about a year or so. I have the barometer storm warning on mine and it works pretty good giving me a warning tone when the barometric pressure has dropped and an approaching storm is heading my way. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
I have a Suunto Vector watch that I purchased in 1999 or so. It has worked out very well for me, and I wore it every day during the cancer treatments. I love this watch. Only problem is that it seems Suunto doesnot support of this model of Vector anymore, so, I have not been able to buy a cap for the battery chamber with an O-ring. I am bummed that I havent been able to find a replacement.

Try this link
https://www.amazon.com/SUUNTO-...0&sr=8-1&tag=mh0b-20

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rtquig_ - Thank you so much for the link. Saw it a few minutes back, and ordered the Suunto Vector back and the battery. Thank you very much for your help.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
You got a good deal on a good watch.

Having a watch you are happy with is great. Having a schnauser you are happy with is even better. Wink

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
I've considered these watches, but personally I find them too huge on the wrist for everyday wear.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear the 9 Baro. Love it. It replaced the Ambit 3 Peak. Great watches and data.

Posts: 21 | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
rtquig_ - Thank you so much for the link. Saw it a few minutes back, and ordered the Suunto Vector back and the battery. Thank you very much for your help.

Your welcome.
I am on my second Vector which I have had for at least 10 years. I also bought my 2 boys one at the time. A while ago we got caught in a very nasty lighting storm while hiking up a mountain. It convinced my wife that we need a better way to track weather.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I've had two SUUNTO core watches. Great for me (hiker, security professional)!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, I ordered one last week and waiting for it to arrive!
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
It's still on sale there https://www.jomashop.com/suunt...tch-ss014279010.html

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post