SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This is why the private sector trumps government every time
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is why the private sector trumps government every time Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
I think most of us would agree, government is supposed to own responsibility for building and maintaining our roads. Heck, its kind of a constitutional mandate. See if you still feel that way after you finish this story.

My wife is a senior VP with a commercial developer here in Central Florida. Her company bought a large tract of land in west Orange County some time back, and in negotiations with the country, agreed to build two roads the county had been unable to build for almost ten years due to a "lack of funds" (ever heard that excuse before?). The company could receive impact fee credits and be reimbursed 100% of its costs up to 65% of the budget the county had spec'd for the construction. Long story short, we were out in west Orange County this past weekend, driving on these two roads that were constructed in approximately 6 months, and for 51% of the budget the county had projected for the projects. Yep, that would be half of what the county planned to put taxpayers on the hook for and couldn't accomplish in ten years.

Add this as documented example 1,951 of why government does 'nothing' as well as private industry, and why they should be forced out of virtually every aspect of our lives.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good stuff.

I was in the DOD for 8 years and now private sector for 20+ years.

The main thing is- the private sector is pretty much ALWAYS looking to trim unnecessary overhead and become more efficient. With $$, materials, logistically, with manpower, automation, etc.

The government is infamous for 'spend it all so we can get more $$ in next year's budget'.

So I agree - privatization almost always wins.

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
There's something about your own money that makes it different.

Posts: 9503 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
"When you are spending somebody else's money, there is no point in scimping."

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Yet one of the most angering aspects of this story is when it was told to my son and a couple of his friends, with an eye toward how much they could save in the future if more of the country we live in were privatized away from government, I got the big college student eye roll. Thank god I resisted my first temptation to smack that look off their faces. The Koolaid is really strong in this millennial generation, so strong that even kids raised like my son are very susceptible.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post