SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Justice Kavanaugh’s debut: After bitter confirmation fight, court's newest member settles in
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Justice Kavanaugh’s debut: After bitter confirmation fight, court's newest member settles in Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
There is a very interesting article on Fox News website about Justice Kavanaugh’s first few months on the court,by Shannon Bream and Bill Mears.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed that article JALLEN. A glimpse into the daily life of a Justice.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Definitely worth reading. The human aspect of being a justice isn't made public often and this piece does a credible job of that. I'm glad he's fitting in nicely and that Kagan is making him feel at home.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
So there is one non-crazy place in Washington DC after all? Thank God and James Madison.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was enlightening.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Most of us know so little of the inner working of the Supreme Court.
Thanks for shedding some light into this fascinating aspect of the judicial system.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JALLEN thanks for posting this.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah - we'll see how much the four on the left gripe about the quality of the dining room chocolate chip cookies. Razz

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Kagan to Kavanaugh: "So who are you voting for this election?"

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Now, I want Kavanaugh to post the chocolate chip cookies recipe Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Very interesting read, as usual from Jallen.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Interesting read. Thanks.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Now, I want Kavanaugh to post the chocolate chip cookies recipe Smile

Bruce
Probably the same one from the Nestlé chocolate chip package--it seems to have worked well for decades.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Just a bump. I believe this was Jim's final post here.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I read this article when J.Allen posted it and never commented here. But did send a text with my thoughts on Kav to a gal who has been 'interviewing' me as a prospective BF. She has not spoken to me since. Wink

Remarkable, the way j.allen handled everything. Reading his posts, I thought he was looking at 6-8 months.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post