SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Appeals court: $250 fee to Tennessee Bureau of Investigation for DUI convictions unconstitutional
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appeals court: $250 fee to Tennessee Bureau of Investigation for DUI convictions unconstitutional Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
https://www.tennessean.com/sto...itutional/313545002/

Appeals court: $250 fee to Tennessee Bureau of Investigation for DUI convictions unconstitutional

The statute that gives the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation $250 for each DUI conviction obtained using a blood or breath test is unconstitutional, an appeals court ruled this week, in a decision that could have a widespread impact on drunk driving cases across the state.

The decision from the Court of Criminal Appeals at Knoxville involved the DUI case of a woman who argued her blood test should be suppressed because the fee system violated her right to a fair trial and gave the TBI a financial motivation to get convictions. Her case was consolidated with more than 20 similar cases of defendants who gave blood or breath samples to authorities.

"While we acknowledge that TBI forensic scientists could lose their jobs if they falsify test results and these falsifications are discovered, we also recognize that forensic scientists would most certainly lose their jobs if funding for their positions disappears, a result of which these forensic scientists are no doubt well aware," the appeals court ruled. "Because the fee system at issue in this case calls into question the trustworthiness of the TBI forensic scientists’ test results, it violates due process."

The decision could be appealed.

"It remains to be seen, but the impact could affect most of the DUI cases in the state," said Memphis defense attorney Mike Working.

The section of the Tennessee Code — 55-10-419 (f) — requires the $250 fee to be deposited into the TBI’s toxicology unit intoxicant testing fund.

Link to decision:
http://www.tncourts.gov/sites/...decosimo_opinion.pdf

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Cue the finger-waggers who say "don't drive drunk and it won't happen." Roll Eyes

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Not terribly surprising. State and local governments have gone bok when it comes to assessing "fees" ever since Reagan shut off the neverending Federal funds tap. With the proliferation of all those schemes, some were bound to be found impermissible.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I have never been a fan of the LEO's getting a cut for a conviction. Seems that a lot of localities like to generate funds by setting up speed traps and other unnecessary "public safety" stunts. I am not anti LEO by any means, but I am anti-revenuer and that is exactly what most Sheriff's have become!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems that a lot of localities like to generate funds by setting up speed traps and other unnecessary "public safety" stunts.

We have several municipalities that have short stretches of interstate highways that run through their jurisdiction. Some of the worst surrounded Lambert International Airport.

St. Ann, one of the municipalities, went as far as obtaining an office space in a multi-story office building that faced the highway. They would run their radar out of the office window.

All of this was for safety. So many speeders. Then Missouri passed the law limiting how much of their money could come from traffic violations.

POOF! Gone. Clearly the money was more important than safety.

I have zero problems with punitive fines and/or fees. However, the agency needs to be 100% separate from this. If you get to keep part of the action then you're naturally going to lean towards the money.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I thought the mandatory penalties Tennessee passed years ago for DUI were a good thing. Turns out to be mostly a joke... especially if you have $1,250. (price may be higher now) That's what the a buddy of mine had to spend anyway. $250 to a Lawyer and a $1000 "voluntary" contribution to the slush fund de'jour along with a guilty plea and you are downgraded to drunk in public. No driving points.

Now for those that don't have $1200 bucks, this ruling applies.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
That decision will be appealed because the consequences of not appealing are pretty dire.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
That decision will be appealed because the consequences of not appealing are pretty dire.

How so? Fund the unit from general revenue.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speed traps and DUI stops are a cash cow

I’m not supporting drunk drivers at all. I know many jusistictions use them as a revenue stream

Good friends son got pulled over because he “touched the center line with his tire”. Blew a 0.0, blood test showed nothing except what he was legally prescribed. Kid has to take piss test ever week for work. Cost over $10k in lawyers and Parish fees by the time was all done. Except it remains on his record as “suspicion of DUI” still being totally sober.... because “suspicion off..” violated his terms of employment he lost his job

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

How so? Fund the unit from general revenue.

Potentially reopening every case involving that lab and the fee back to when it was instituted, plus potential to have to refund the fees is, in my opinion, pretty dire.

Going forward is a different matter, provided the unit is funded from general revenue.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Speed traps and DUI stops are a cash cow

I’m not supporting drunk drivers at all. I know many jusistictions use them as a revenue stream

Good friends son got pulled over because he “touched the center line with his tire”. Blew a 0.0, blood test showed nothing except what he was legally prescribed. Kid has to take piss test ever week for work. Cost over $10k in lawyers and Parish fees by the time was all done. Except it remains on his record as “suspicion of DUI” still being totally sober.... because “suspicion off..” violated his terms of employment he lost his job

Was this in Kansas? I was pulled over the same thing in Kansas. Coming from Colorado to PA made me an automatic drug trafficer. Had to spend two hours along the interstate and then send on my way after my car was tossed.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

That is outrageous.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post