SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Traffic through Omaha
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traffic through Omaha Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I will be going through Omaha on Thursday headed West. Is there any major construction? I need to pick somebody up at the airport and thought I would get there via 680. Thanks

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Omaha

Sounds like a nice place to sleep

Omaha

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'm too lazy to look it up, but doesn't either google maps or mapquest (one of them??) show construction as an optional feature?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drove through there about 6 times in the spring and summer, going both east and west, making the move to S.D. Was on I 80. From the east side of Omaha into Iowa, and through the town there was a lot of construction. Primarily on the east side as part of the IDOT improvements. Also included some access roads, and new ramps and bridges. Some slight slowdowns especially around commute times. Some lanes closed, and lots of cones. Maybe added 15 minutes over the normal time. Not bad and we'll marked. Other than occasional idiots no problems.
http://dot.nebraska.gov/travel/

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Yep. Just drove through last weekend. There is construction and you will go through it if you are heading to the airport.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Yep. Just drove through last weekend. There is construction and you will go through it if you are heading to the airport.

That is why I thought 680 might allow me to escape it.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
It's how you get to LA, isn't it?

"I wonder if anybody'd think I'd flipped
If I went to LA via Omaha!"

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Its Omaha, how much construction could there really be, like a guy with a sign, two guys watching 4 guys leaning on some shovels right?

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Do you have a smartphone?

Apps like Waze are your friend.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Its Omaha, how much construction could there really be, like a guy with a sign, two guys watching 4 guys leaning on some shovels right?

Ok, it's not Omaha but 30 miles west is Lincoln Nebraska and its a constant shit-show of construction.

I'm usually in Omaha around deer season and being november, most of the construction is done for the season, you should be ok.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
It's how you get to LA, isn't it?

"I wonder if anybody'd think I'd flipped
If I went to LA via Omaha!"

My first thought as well!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
What like 9 people live there right, Including Warren Buffet.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Did West to East in Mid September, no issues then. Use the WAZE app. It's pretty current on such things and any police traps.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just a wild guess, but I assume you are taking W80 to N680 on your way to Epply. Getting to N680 is the worst and then can be pandamonium until Maple. it is usually smooth until you exit. but then you have to make your way through town on what, like 30th? that is billion lights and not great part of town but doable and you can take Pershing to Abbot. it is time consuming.
I would bite the bullet and go 80-480 then make your way to abbot. if this is anywhere near rush hour, well good luck and leave early.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
What like 9 people live there right, Including Warren Buffet.

Just looked. Omaha alone is just 100,000 less than the state of Wyoming. Metro area is roughly 350,000 more than the state of Wyoming. It’s goddamn big I tell ya. Big, big, big

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I do not have a smart phone, I am retired and don't want or need one. My friend does and I am sure he will check the apps. I really like maps, just smart phones can be handy with construction, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Do you have a smartphone?

Apps like Waze are your friend.

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
We made it through just fine. The construction was not a problem. Thank you all for your help.

Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Des Moines traffic is a headache for 10 minutes twice a day. I am imagine Omaha and Counciltucky is a migraine for 15 minutes.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post