SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Returning to full function after a severe injury?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Returning to full function after a severe injury? Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I fractured my back in a fall on Mt. Hood years ago. After that and two fusions I’m not the same, but I don’t expect to be. Physical condition and PT are huge as noted. Don’t push it or you’ll wind up back at square one. Good luck.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Physical therapy is a huge part of a successful recovery after a major injury/surgery. That and a PMA (positive mental attitude).

Best of luck!!!

Yeah, Im a bit worried about the PT because I live in a VERY remote area so booking 800 dollar plane tickets to 20 PT sessions simply isn't going to happen, I hope they can do them through Skype or something.

That is remote. As others have said, can you find temporary housing to get the PT process started? The PT will have to be hands on for awhile and skipping this step can add months to a recovery and/or greatly reduce your chances for a full recovery.

Afterwards the PT might be able to skype with you.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
As others have said listen to your doctors and do what they say.

PT is just as important as the surgery and I would say without proper PT the surgery is almost worthless.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Having nearly torn my foot from my leg a few years back (I think I posted my XR in your original thread) via an open fracture dislocation, I know very well where you're at right about now.

Given your remote location, you should be able to find a Physical Therapist who will be willing to work with that. I'm sure that they've run into that situation before up there and likely will have some plan for you.

While the ankle is a complicated joint requiring some somewhat complicated therapy to come back from, it really isn't anything that you can't do for yourself at home...as long as you know what you need to do. Get with a good PT and explain your situation. Have them give you verbal and written instructions on what you need to do and when. Then do them...religiously.

I bounced back from my original injury quite fast and was good to go in a matter of weeks after the no-weightbearing phase. Unfortunately, some months later the joint collapsed requiring a total ankle replacement. That one I didn't bounce back from quite so easily. For a variety of reasons, I wasn't able to do all of the PT that time and as a result have some limited range of motion now.

Also, get yourself some good compression socks for that swelling. I tried several different brands before settling on these from Tommy Copper. They are spendy, but worth every penny.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
First, be aware of blood clots. If your foot/leg swell accompanied by incredible pain, take aspirin and go to the hospital. You'll know the pain due to the severity.

Secondly, PT is your friend, but that doesn't take into consideration your locale, etc. With that understood, I'd recommend every hour or every time you sit, etc., you draw the alphabet with your toes. Imaginary drawing will bring strength and flexibility. Concentrate on small movements and don't worry about walking a mile, then two, etc. The next exercise to incorporate is to simply balance on one foot for minutes at a time. You can do this watching tv or similar.

Good luck.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had ACL reconstruction and meniscus surgery back in Sept. Things are going great and I still go to PT 2 x a week.

I still get swelling in my leg, mostly it all runs down to my ankle. I bought some compression socks on Amazon and wore them every day, they help tremendously with swelling.

If your doc OK's using them, they made a huge difference for me.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
Hello everybody,

Im looking for advice/insight/stories of getting back to normal after suffering from a serious injury. I broke my ankle in 3 laces while I was out hunting a few months back, due to the remoteness of my location, I had to wait almost a month for the surgery because the swelling was so bad. Right now, Im heading into week 7 of the 12 week "non weight bearing" part of the recovery process.

I now have some screws and a plate in my ankle but Im hoping to get back to my normal active lifestyle rather than quitting my hobbies due to the injury. I'm serious hunter (sheep, goat, moose, caribou etc) and Im really just wanting to get back to normal.

So, has anybody here hurt themselves badly and made a full recovery?

Thanks!!!

Yup, back in 1981 I got a Pott's Fracture of the left ankle - not a good idea when you are in Wales for Christmas and your home is in Berlin. Also, I was a Staff Sergeant in an 'energetic' part of the Army at the time.

It took me almost year to get back to about 90% of what I'd been before, and it never got any better than that.

The initial pain of weight-bearing most mornings, before I get moving around and more active, is eye-watering, but it soon wears off as my other broken ankle [five years later] gets my attention.

I managed all the Army fitness tests though, with flying colours, as werll as deployments, but it needed some determination, for sure.

Good luck!

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Were you in good shape to start with, that's important. Five years ago my wife and I were in a bad accident. I had eight broken bones, including collar bone, neck and tail bone. We were told we were very lucky to have been in good shape, I was 68 my wife 61. I'm 100%, my wife still has a some issues, compounded by other aging issues.

We did PT and even today my wife does some PT, as well as muscle manipulation. She's getting a new hip in a couple of months and then some rebuilding of a knee, not accident related.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of keltoi
posted Hide Post
Since you are not in close proximity to a PT system contact the PT people at the place you had your surgery and have them send you the diagrams of exercises along with the large rubber bands that they use with the exercises. My wife broke her ankle and fibula and has one plate and eight screws. Full recovery with PT.

Posts: 630 | Location:  | Registered: December 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been through a few serious injuries, much worse than your ankle. I recommend listening to your body, do not excessively push yourself. Generally as you heal, try to do a little more each week. The PT person can give you exercises that you can do on your own, you will not need many trips to a PT office.

Eat a balanced diet, with only moderate amounts of carbs. As you are in Alaska, you should probably stock up on some quality vitamin and mineral supplements.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by keltoi:
Since you are not in close proximity to a PT system contact the PT people at the place you had your surgery and have them send you the diagrams of exercises along with the large rubber bands that they use with the exercises. My wife broke her ankle and fibula and has one plate and eight screws. Full recovery with PT.

Yeah they already have me on the rubber band things, They have become considerably more easy since the start.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post