SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Returning to full function after a severe injury?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Returning to full function after a severe injury? Login/Join 
posted
Hello everybody,

Im looking for advice/insight/stories of getting back to normal after suffering from a serious injury. I broke my ankle in 3 laces while I was out hunting a few months back, due to the remoteness of my location, I had to wait almost a month for the surgery because the swelling was so bad. Right now, Im heading into week 7 of the 12 week "non weight bearing" part of the recovery process.

I now have some screws and a plate in my ankle but Im hoping to get back to my normal active lifestyle rather than quitting my hobbies due to the injury. I'm serious hunter (sheep, goat, moose, caribou etc) and Im really just wanting to get back to normal.

So, has anybody here hurt themselves badly and made a full recovery?

Thanks!!!

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Physical therapy is a huge part of a successful recovery after a major injury/surgery. That and a PMA (positive mental attitude).

Best of luck!!!

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Physical therapy is a huge part of a successful recovery after a major injury/surgery. That and a PMA (positive mental attitude).

Best of luck!!!

Yeah, Im a bit worried about the PT because I live in a VERY remote area so booking 800 dollar plane tickets to 20 PT sessions simply isn't going to happen, I hope they can do them through Skype or something.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Take it slow, and you’ll be back to “you” sooner than later. Pain is your body trying to tell you something. Don’t ignore it, or you’ll extend your recovery time.

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know your age, but I've been hurt pretty badly motorcycle racing in my 40's, 50's and lately early 60's. That sounds bad, but it really amounts to less than once a decade so I sometimes am able to forget.
Sometimes its a bit of work to full recovery, but I pretty much consider myself fully recovered (or at least able to do what I did before). What I've learned is that attitude is 90% of it, I am simply not going to give up what I do. The other 10% is you need to make sure you get good help rehabbing. It's like 1% but I also know that sometimes the surgery isn't right and they have to do it again. That happened to me with knee surgery. Don't wait. Get someone to advise that your condition is not normal and get it fixed. IT SUCKS, but the months of rehab the second time are a tradeoff to the years or decades later.
Good luck. Hang in there.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won't say injury, but I have had both my hips replaced, one side done twice and am a hunter, antelope, elk and birds in the fall. h2oys is correct about physical therapy, but . . . many physical therapists are focused on recovery for old people and under treat guys like you who are active at the level you are. So, I completed the physical therapy, then I found a personal trainer who wanted to help me push back to my previous activity levels. That meant pushing a sled, lots of explosive leg work and cardio on a stairclimber. You'll get it all back. By the way I am a New Mexican too . . . born and raised in 505!

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. It's a long road though.

Set a timeline so you can be patient but have a plan.

How old are you? I am approaching 50.

About a year ago I severely tore one of my pectoral muscles. BADLY. Swelling / bruising all through my chest down to my elbow. Was so bad i could not do a single push-up whereas I could do 75+ pre-injury. Could not bench press 10lb dumbbell (could do 80LB dumbbells pre-injury). Could (maybe should) have had surgery.

I set a one year timeline to get back to my pre-injury strength. I am pretty much there. Still can't do dips though.

But I mapped out a month by month recovery schedule / realistic fitness plan. For you maybe like:

Month 1 -- So maybe you walk 1 mile per day -- 5 x per week.

Month 2 -- Walk 1.5 miles per day -- 4 x per week.

Month 3 -- Walk 2 miles per day -- 2 x per week ; jog 1 mile per week -- 2 x per week.

Etc etc

A year goes by quick and before you know it you are 'pretty much' back to where you were.

Slowly but methodically.

Good luck-

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I remember when you went out that evening for a walk with your new back pack and fell. And your girl friend and friend were able to find you.

I would think you get one chance at a full recovery. If the surgery went well that I put all my eggs in the PT basket as far as restoring your chance to not have prolonged issue's and limitations.
PT is not something you can do remotely. It requires a physical therapist who can put their hands on you. You will be rolling the dice otherwise. Imho of course.

Good luck NM

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Sadly, we humans are impatient. You can tell use how long but we always want to push it. Listen to your doctor and physical therapist. Do what they say. Grumble about how long it takes. You'll get better faster if you ding push it.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I ruptured an Achilles tendon in 2012. While nothing like climbing mountains hunting sheep, my work is fairly physically strenuous. Other than not being able to stand on tip-toe on that foot, I'm fine. After the cast was off I went through a great deal of physical therapy as well as exercising on my own time. The important thing was that I refused to allow myself to believe that I wouldn't recover and go back to my old work.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:

yes
if you count 4 months in traction & nearly a year in a full length body cast as 'badly'

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice everybody, Glad to see another 505er in here (although I moved up to AK since choosing my name on this board).

Since people asked, I'm 38 years old, Prior to the injury, working out and staying in shape was something I'd taken very seriously my entire adult life, running, hiking, hunting, rafting, mountaineering etc.

In fact, when I broke the ankle, I was testing out a new backpack with ~ 50lbs in it so I could sort of work out even though I was just hunting a few miles from my home.

My workouts since the injury have just been pushups, pull-ups and dips. Lots of core work as well, thats about all I can do.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I remember when you went out that evening for a walk with your new back pack and fell. And your girl friend and friend were able to find you.

I would think you get one chance at a full recovery. If the surgery went well that I put all my eggs in the PT basket as far as restoring your chance to not have prolonged issue's and limitations.
PT is not something you can do remotely. It requires a physical therapist who can put their hands on you. You will be rolling the dice otherwise. Imho of course.

Good luck NM

The surgery did go well, I was lucky to have an extremely competent and experienced trauma doctor do the surgery I don't have any pain at all currently but I haven't used the ankle for anything other than balancing when I Stand and doing the basic exercises they prescribed for me. The swelling is still pretty bad when the leg isn't elevated. On Friday, Ill get the X-ray so the doc can make sure everything is going well.

The issue of PT is going to be my mane area of discussion with the doc on this trip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:

yes
if you count 4 months in traction & nearly a year in a full length body cast as 'badly'

Wow!!! car crash?

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I'm private enough to not be comfortable even telling you what is already posted.

I can tell you the essence of 'full recovery' demands you cooperate with the people trying to heal you. Given the remote location you report, consider whether temporary closer housing to therapy for the short term so you DO have maximal 'full recovery' opportunity.

And, there is considerably more to 'full recovery' than mere bones growing back together.

Good luck. Stay focused on your concept of "FULL recovery" not just 'avoid spendy plane trips'.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
A year to heal and 5 to start noticing normality, 10 years out now still know it's there.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
I'm private enough to not be comfortable even telling you what is already posted.

I can tell you the essence of 'full recovery' demands you cooperate with the people trying to heal you. Given the remote location you report, consider whether temporary closer housing to therapy for the short term so you DO have maximal 'full recovery' opportunity.

And, there is considerably more to 'full recovery' than mere bones growing back together.

Good luck. Stay focused on your concept of "FULL recovery" not just 'avoid spendy plane trips'.

I suppose I could rent a place in Anchorage for the summer if needed since I get 4 months off work.

Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Regarding the option to temporarily move close to the services you need- I would highly advise doing it if you can.

I have messed up just about every oart of my body- and finally learned how important PT is, particularly having someone there that can watch the mechanics of what you're doing.

Being injured this long, you'll have atrophied muscles, tightened ligaments/ tendons, and your brain may have seeious issues remembering how to PROPERLY employ your limb.

Years back I tore up my shoulder badly and worker's comp dicked me around for 16 months. Finally I got to a real doc and had surgery 3 days later. Rushed through PT to get back to work and still pay the price.

If you're active, and want to stay that way, move close and do exactly what the PT says.

I just finished a knee surgery rehab 5 weeks earlier than the initial prognosis by doing what he said and no more. I did have the luxury of sucking up the pain and doing a lot of pre-surgical training and conditioning, which played a part- but following the PT's protocol really helped.

Good luck with the rehab and I hope you heal quickly and fully.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for a full recovery.

I though you lived in China?

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
Regarding the option to temporarily move close to the services you need- I would highly advise doing it if you can.

I have messed up just about every oart of my body- and finally learned how important PT is, particularly having someone there that can watch the mechanics of what you're doing.

Being injured this long, you'll have atrophied muscles, tightened ligaments/ tendons, and your brain may have seeious issues remembering how to PROPERLY employ your limb.

Years back I tore up my shoulder badly and worker's comp dicked me around for 16 months. Finally I got to a real doc and had surgery 3 days later. Rushed through PT to get back to work and still pay the price.

If you're active, and want to stay that way, move close and do exactly what the PT says.

I just finished a knee surgery rehab 5 weeks earlier than the initial prognosis by doing what he said and no more. I did have the luxury of sucking up the pain and doing a lot of pre-surgical training and conditioning, which played a part- but following the PT's protocol really helped.

Good luck with the rehab and I hope you heal quickly and fully.

Yes on the atrophy and stiffness. My right leg is a few inches smaller than it was, especially the calf and the ankle while it is getting better still has much less ROM than the good ankle.