SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I wonder if this is the future of personal transportation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I wonder if this is the future of personal transportation Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Anyone who has flown any of the modern remote control quadcopters like the DJI Phantom knows how ridiculously simple it is to fly one of the miniature aircraft now.

Imagine taking that to a much larger scale and you have this:

http://www.flyingmag.com/workh...rsonal-vtol-in-paris

I can see some variant of that becoming mainstream within a few decades. The latest technology push is for a self driving car, but I could see a self driving copter being a simpler alternative, not being constrained to a two lane road, if enough safety systems can be implemented.

Posts: 17883 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cost is just a bit prohibitive compared to a car, but if it is reliable as my DJI Mavic, I'd want one badly.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm reminded of serving at NAMTRAGRUHQ as a department head back in the early-mid '80s. A fellow department head was an aviator and an ultralight enthusiast. He used to fly it from Germantown to Millington as his way to get to work. On more than one morning we had to send some folks to pick him up whereever he was forced down.

We were an eclectic bunch. Stan with his ultralight, the skipper with a Model A, and me with a sidecar rig just to name a few. LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Cost and infrastructure are prohibitive now for sure, but 30-40 years from now? Could be something like it being very common.

Posts: 17883 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And no pics. in the article of it actually flying?

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

That reminds me of:

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
It's going to need some good AC with that dome canopy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtVJEY7ky3o

I like this one better.....V-Tail. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They were suppposed to be going live by September in Dubai. Not this company but a quick google search will show you a very similar craft. I fly high end drones and I certainly wouldn't trust my life to a larger one. Eventually it might happen.

The issue will be will the risk be worth the reward. With all the money being invested in autonomous cars in the not too distant future they will easily go nose to tail at 80 miles an hour with no traffic slow downs (very limited at least).

Posts: 3914 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:
^^^^^

That reminds me of:

This will show our age group.
How many saw this in when it was a weekly?

Posts: 9499 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
There aren't enough safety systems in existence to enable the idiots of the highway to fly in anything with reasonable survival rates.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
There aren't enough safety systems in existence to enable the idiots of the highway to fly in anything with reasonable survival rates.
You won't be controlling it. You will punch in a destination and it will take you there. The only tricky part will be landing in a safe area where the props aren't going to cause a problem.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
You won't be controlling it. You will punch in a destination and it will take you there. The only tricky part will be landing in a safe area where the props aren't going to cause a problem.

You mean like the rides at Disneyland and amusement parks?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like you can already do with high end drones by setting up way points (destinations) and sending it off.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It seems that if everyone had one, the airspace would be ridiculously full.... and dangerous.
I'd get sick of cleaning remnants and body parts off my roof. Wink

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
quote:

It seems that if everyone had one, the airspace would be ridiculously full.... and dangerous.
I'd get sick of cleaning remnants and body parts off my roof. Wink
It seems that way but the military already has the technology available were they can send a 100 drones up in the air at the same time and they can fly and move like a flock of birds. Close proximity without so much as a minor scrape. I sure wouldn't trust my life to it but it's undeniable that the technology is only going to become more and more prevelent, starting with cars.