SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would you take a Load out bag to Europe (London) for your luggage?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you take a Load out bag to Europe (London) for your luggage? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I have always flow. Overseas on deployments so luggage choices didn’t matter. The one time I flew as a civilian my ex wife controlled it. I don’t want to buy luggage for this trip. I have a LBT med load out bag that I use and it’s perfect for everything I use it for. I will be going from Heathrow straight to my daughters house so I won’t be overly conspicuous. This is the bag I have
https://lbtinc.com/collections...-bags/products/2466a

Question:
Should I use the load out bag or buy a suitcase?

Choices:
Use the load out bag you infidel
Buy suitcase and try to pass as Canadian

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
Sure, why not? I use a similar bag everywhere I fly.

Posts: 672 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sure, why not?

I use an old style LBT wheeled load out bag as my primary luggage. I've never gotten a second glance.

Provided it's not in camo, or covered in MOLLE and mall ninja patches, nobody will notice your tactical nylon luggage.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't try to pass for Canadian if I were you. Britain is the one place in the known universe where Canadians have actually developed a particular reputation for drunken violence. Really.

As for the bag, I think you'd be surprised by how little that really stands out on the luggage carousel.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only thing that would hold me back is if you've carried guns or ammo in it in the past. Might trip sensors and keep you in the waiting area as they swab it mightily. Otherwise should be fine.

I too stick to the no molle, camo or patches thing for travel bags. I got a really nice set of rolling luggage with basic locks and its been a very nice change over my old straps only bag. That LBT looks like it rolls so should be fine.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't recommend it, but I've seen it happen every time I've flow in the last 5 1/2 years (Stationed in Germany).

The good guys and bad guys will know exactly what it is, and John Q. Won't care because he is usually looking for his stuff.

I haven't seen any one specifically targeted because of their luggage.

Heathrow has a reputations for delays and delayed luggage amongst the folks I work with. But, If that's the closest airport to your daughter you should be fine.

Just make sure you don't have any banned items in the bag.

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good lord. The price made me pee a little.

I used an old surplus military bag as a load out for tools, cold weather, and rain gear for years at the mill (I walked to work).

But I would think the shape and color would trigger the clown posse TSA

Sorry to spam your question, I'm just amazed at the prices.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I wouldn't try to pass for Canadian if I were you. Britain is the one place in the known universe where Canadians have actually developed a particular reputation for drunken violence. Really.

As for the bag, I think you'd be surprised by how little that really stands out on the luggage carousel.

Waddya mean, Yank? Outside. NOW!!!!! Smile

Posts: 11314 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Hold on a minute, that bag of yours cost over half my airline fare from London to Portland OR!!!! You'll get looked at for sure - nobody over here could afford ANYTHING like that in a month of Sundays....

You be's lak some kinda drug-dealing mon... if I was C&E I'd pull you off the line like a shot.

Posts: 11314 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would advise against it NOT because it stands-out or, marks you as a tactical guy but, there's enough straps and parts to get hooked-up on, the ramp guerrillas may end up twisting, breaking, yanking on something. Not to mention, being a tactical looking bag, you MAY tempt that one ramper to unzip a side-pocket and go-thru your stuff on the off-chance they might 'find something' cool.

Those bags were originally designed for individual gear, that was going to get stacked-up on a pallet/vehicle, which was getting loaded onto a mil-cargo aircraft or, into a shipping container; commercial usage being distant secondary. You may want to check weight and size dimensions with the airline you're flying. Those are heavy bags...empty.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out LA Rescue bags. Priced right, durable (mine are 20 years old) and tactical, but not tactical in appearance.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I used one of these

as my carry-on when my wife and I went to Europe, last spring. Nobody gave me a 2nd look, near as I could tell.

I don't have a single more useful backpack than that. It's unbelievably handy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I didn’t the full price or even half price. LBT is very proud of their stuff.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Only thing that would hold me back is if you've carried guns or ammo in it in the past. Might trip sensors and keep you in the waiting area as they swab it mightily. Otherwise should be fine.

Or some old brass that’s been stuck in a corner of it and forgotten.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
If it has wheels on the bottom I assume you won't be able to wheel it around the airport and will have to carry it (on your back?) If it's full it seems like it might be too heavy to carry with the handle on the top but then I've never seen a bag like this before.

I would just get a regular suitcase with 4 wheels. They're easy to move around and a "mid sized" is still easy to pick up when full.

When I lived in London I never heard anything at all negative about Canadians. There always seemed to be a lot of Australians around though.

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I like the bag. It would be a no-brainer for me if it had pack straps.

I spent 2 weeks in Ireland with a Kifaru E&E daypack piggybacked onto a Kifaru 3-day-ish pack (not on their website any more, don't think they make it now), and never got a second look. I liked the versatility and the fit.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:

I got mine on clearance for like $120 during one of LBT's frequent sales. Money well spent.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Very nice bag, Valpo Fz.

I don’t see why it would be a problem for travel.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1929 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:

I got mine on clearance for like $120 during one of LBT's frequent sales. Money well spent.

That changes the subject, a little bit. Smile

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
For example, this was from a few years ago:

And this one:

They blew out their ACU ones for like $50 too.

LBT normally prices their stuff for federal government purchases. $500 for a nylon bag is no big deal when it's someone else's money. (Similar to the proverbial $300 hammers and $1000 toilet seats.) Then several times a year they offer various things on sale at normal consumer pricing.

They also used to have a big presence on eBay, where they liquidated contract overrun pieces and the like. I got a number of quality items at low prices from their eBay store in the mid/late 2000s. But the seem to have discontinued that.