SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    UFO nutballs threaten to storm Area 51 to see the aliens
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UFO nutballs threaten to storm Area 51 to see the aliens Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Let's say theoretically something like this actually happened (and I mean theoretically, because it isn't, but we can play with it.)

50,000 people show up on the edge of the base. This would mean every news outlet would also be there. Do you really think they would be allowed to free fire? I really don't think so. It would be a public relations disaster, and being in the CONUS, the constitution would still apply. Out in the desert where no one is watching, they can get away with shit they couldn't in a more conspicuous place (note how the White House doesn't just shoot fence jumpers.) with thousands (or more) people, and full media scrutiny, law enforcement rules apply. The can arrest them, they can't shoot them.

That brings up the questions, is the AF set up do mass protester event security? How the hell would they handle something like this? Usually local LE would likely be involved. How many local LE does Rachel NV have. Would the NV state police have enough? They'd probably have to call out LV Metro PD.

quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Those security guys are bored, over-trained, heavily armed, no accountability, and have massive needs to prove that they are necessary, since they get paid tons and never, ever get to do anything.
Hair trigger doesn't even begin to describe it.

I sincerely hope nobody puts a toe over the line.

Bruce

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These stories are funny.

I don't doubt there is shit out there we are oblivious to. So be it.

But , 50 years latter with phone cameras, GoPros, fucking drones everywhere, and we still can't verify shit?

It's fun to sit around with some booze and talk about, but when Clinton gets outed for sticking a cigar up some gals Arbys roast beef sammy and then smoking it, yet ET is a highly kept secret, something doesn't add up.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
That brings up the questions, is the AF set up do mass protester event security? How the hell would they handle something like this? Usually local LE would likely be involved. How many local LE does Rachel NV have. Would the NV state police have enough? They'd probably have to call out LV Metro PD.

Highway Patrol will be watching the freeway, providing updates, local Sheriff can call-in mutual aid from other areas. FBI will have their plants in various areas around town, rest areas, eateries and gas stations; dissuading any 'leaders' or, provocateurs. They can round up every Fed agency LE in the area: Marshall's, Forestry, Nat'l Park, for added presence/muscle. The 'entrance area' to the surrounding peaks is basically a very long bulldozer road. USAF could block the road in, by rolling a bunch of boulders across the road, drop a few shipping containers, or, deploy a couple of the heat-ray devices used for mob control.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

Too much hassle.

They will simply teleport everything to the far side of the moon until the buzz blows over, then teleport it all back.

Of course, that will likely result in earthquakes in SoCal and a Blackout in New York, but both are easily explained away...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I wonder what I should feed my alien when I first get it.

So many questions. Will my alien like guns? Will my alien come with his own space gun and just laugh at my guns and think they’re lame? If my alien comes with his own space gun, can he/she/it be arrested for having it?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
Never in the history of man has a dumb prank gotten out of hand before. Eek

I think Orson Wells still holds the record.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

One of the biggest urban legends taught in school. Orson Wells held a weekly radio program and during the original storytelling, the broadcast noted several times it was fictitious. A lot of dumbass drunks that night decided to take things to the extremes. The complete Mercury Theater recordings discredit the myth that it was a hoax and demonstrate the show was a typical radio broadcast for Wells, blown way out of proportion since then. My father was an avid listener and relayed that Wells Martian Invasian broadcast had several commercial interruptions (which aren't likely, if such an event were really to happen), before and after which the radio studio said the story was a work of fiction. He grew up in the '20s and '30s in Jersey. It's a shame many teachers love to tell the story (even in the '70s when I was in primary school) and few investigated the facts sufficiently to counter the sensationalism, but not the first time the educational system of the US is to blame for something.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

True dat.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1925 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

He's already eaten...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:
quote:

One of the biggest urban legends taught in school. Orson Wells held a weekly radio program and during the original storytelling, the broadcast noted several times it was fictitious. A lot of dumbass drunks that night decided to take things to the extremes. The complete Mercury Theater recordings discredit the myth that it was a hoax and demonstrate the show was a typical radio broadcast for Wells, blown way out of proportion since then. My father was an avid listener and relayed that Wells Martian Invasian broadcast had several commercial interruptions (which aren't likely, if such an event were really to happen), before and after which the radio studio said the story was a work of fiction. He grew up in the '20s and '30s in Jersey. It's a shame many teachers love to tell the story (even in the '70s when I was in primary school) and few investigated the facts sufficiently to counter the sensationalism, but not the first time the educational system of the US is to blame for something.

I remember asking my parents about it. They said it was blown all out of proportion. Neither they, nor anyone they knew, paid any attention to it.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

He's already eaten...

I say we nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the chance that these people are serious....You've got a better chance of the Pope cutting your grass than getting onto that property. Nonetheless, I'm going to check back and see how this plays out.

Posts: 81 | Location: SW PA USA | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:
quote:

I know Wells didn't intend it as a hoax, but that some listeners didn't know that it was a work of fiction.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
If there little green bodies here living, in stasis or in formaldehyde, what possible reason is there to keep it a secret from the population in the first place?

I'm not saying that there are bodies or that aliens exist or whatever, but I can see the desire for a government to keep that shit secret if true. Advanced technology and the ability to weaponize it for one, mass panic and the upheaval of most of the world's religious beliefs would be another.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
If there little green bodies here living, in stasis or in formaldehyde, what possible reason is there to keep it a secret from the population in the first place?

I'm not saying that there are bodies or that aliens exist or whatever, but I can see the desire for a government to keep that shit secret if true. Advanced technology and the ability to weaponize it for one, mass panic and the upheaval of most of the world's religious beliefs would be another.

The government could never keep something like that secret. Too leaky, too important, and too widely known. It isn't the kind of secret people would keep.

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I heartily endorse the actions of the Storm Area 51 group. The memes have been hilarious.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
If 50,000 nutjobs tried to storm into Area 51, there would be some deaths. The military does have authority to use deadly force to repel invaders, even US citizens, and I've no doubt that some would be shot. Yes, it would be a PR disaster, but it would happen. The military takes security seriously, even if others in the government do not.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Do I think that the loonies will have the stones to try and storm Area 51?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post