SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another one for car guys - Jeep Wrangler hardtop
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another one for car guys - Jeep Wrangler hardtop Login/Join 
posted
I have a 2010 two door Wrangler Sport. I bought new. The convertible top it came with is such a PITA to put down and up that I have done it maybe five times in 11 years. I am thinking about getting a hardtop. Nothing fancy with removable panels or sliding sunroof features. Just a good unit that does not leak or whistle. Any experience or suggestions? Thanks.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find a OEM one.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stu1000rr
posted Hide Post
Check Quadratec for all of your Jeeping needs.

I practically built my CJ 5 through their catalogs and website.

Posts: 265 | Location: Southwest Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stu1000rr:
Check Quadratec for all of your Jeeping needs.

This is great advice...if you want to go broke. Wink

I've given those fellas a good bit of business since I bought my jeep almost seven years ago.

Quadratec will have a good selection of hardtops including OEM.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
If you have a garage then get a hoist. They make ‘em just for Jeep tops. Makes it easy to lift off and store all by yourself.

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I'll third Quadratec. Got some new wheels coming in from them on Thursday as a matter of fact.

The Best Top brand is highly thought of as aftermarket manufacturer.

The best part part though is that you've got a jeep and there are lots and lots and lots of options for you.

Also consider Wrangler Forum for info.

But why is the soft top a pain to take down? My 2017 JKURR with a soft top takes minutes, at most, depending on how far I want to "take it down". If I want to flip it back, it takes seconds. It is also completely dry with no whistles. Mine is OEM Premium Soft Top. It's a little thicker than standard soft top.

Keep in mind that if you go hard top you will not have electrical connections to plug and play for the rear window wiper on the hard top as yours was a soft top from the factory. You'll have to get that sorted.

By being a pain and your not taking it down but only 5 times in 11 years do you mean taking it completely off the jeep or just fully reclining it?

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've been checking Craigslist lately for hard tops, seem to be more of the "modern ones" (which yours would be in my book) than older, at least in my area.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I had a 2007JK and a 2015 JK both with the hard tops. Be aware, there are subtle OEM spec-build differences at about the 2012 model year that makes interchangeability not a perfect fit across the JK platform.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the responses. Very familiar with Quadratec as they already have a considerable amount of my children' inheritance. I was hoping to get some first hand experience from someone here who had done this. For example the DV8 squared off model listed there has one review and its pretty negative but its only one review.

As to the OEM part my local dealer says they are not available from Jeep. Unless I can find one used is the Mopar Freedom Top basically the same thing? I wss going to avoid any panels as I don't really think I want them and they just seem to me to be a potential source of wind noise and leaks. But that does not seem to exist, Does any one here have one and do you have these issues?

As to the existing soft top it does not leak or make noise, and don't have any problem with heat or AC. For me lowering it is not a big deal but raising it (as opposed to removing and reinstalling) is difficult as the tolerances for securing it are very tight. Zippers are now 11 years old and difficult. Rear panel is clouded and scratched. Also the flip up rear window on a hardtop would make access to the back much easier for my dogs and packages. (I removed the rear seat years ago, don't need it). Also I would want to get either the OEM or one like it that has the rear window wiper and defroster, along with the wiring kit.

But the bottom line is that these things are not cheap, my current soft top functions fine leaving it up and I don't want to let the perfect become the enemy of the good.

Thanks again for the input.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post