SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Furnace mounted humidifiers - any experience?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Furnace mounted humidifiers - any experience? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
We have one on the furnace but have never had it working. I see it was installed in 2003. It's a General brand.

I think I tried to make it work once and it didn't work but I didn't check the wick or valves, etc.

Are these worth having or fixing? If it is something that's going to break every few years I will keep running the stand alone humidifier.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I'm unfamiliar with General humidifiers, admittedly though I am not in the biz.

We had to have our A/C replaced this past summer, the company included an Aprilaire humidifier with the purchase.

I have never had an add on humidifier that worked, the old one which was on this house when we bought it never worked. So we shall see.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with the General brand, but I'm sure that it has the same typical problems as most.

The thing I would check first is the water orifice. Locate it somewhere between the solenoid that controls water to the unit and the evaporative surface. Clean it with a very thin needle.

Make sure the solenoid works by setting the humidistat to it highest setting and check for water flow

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I had an Aprilaire. Pain in the butt to keep the paddlewheel clean but if you don't mold will overtake it. I wouldn't have another one.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
We had a HERRMIDIFIER brand installed on our lowboy furnace. It is designed to be installed on.the supply side rather than the return air side. It worked very well, but our water was so hard, frequent replacement of the filter medium was necessary. If I'm not mistaken, HERRMIDIFIER was out of Lancaster PA.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We have one similar to this:

Product page: GeneralAire Model 1042LH

It uses a "vapor pad" over which fresh water runs. Installed properly: The water only runs when the furnace is still firing.

Upsides: Always fresh water. No pad, etc. to get nasty. No float switch to fail or malfunction. Downsides: Pad has to be replaced annually. Has to have a drain for excess water.

It does kick out serious humidity. Too much, if you're not careful. We had moisture condensing on the ceiling along the walls on the western and northern exposures a couple winters. So much that I originally thought it was ice dams on the roof. Finally fixed that problem last winter with one of these:

Honeywell HumidiPro Digital Humidity Control

Outdoor sensor (wired) automatically readjusts the max humidity allowable based on outdoor temperature.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I had an Aprilaire. Pain in the butt to keep the paddlewheel clean but if you don't mold will overtake it. I wouldn't have another one.

LOL
I didn't even know they had to be cleaned out...
but noticed the house was super dry.
Well.... the humidifier wasn't working. I think it jammed up with sediment. Cleaned it out with some vinegar on an old toothbrush (to loosen the sediment) and a dawn or palmolive soap/water mix. After it's cleaned out... you have to put in a new filter. Mine was all crusty.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Anchorage, I paid to have an Aprilaire installed on my furnace.

When I lived in Calgary, my rental already had a Generalaire installed.

They both worked the same way (pad that water poured over top), and the main difference was that the Aprilaire worked better as it had the digital controller with the external thermometer whereas the Generalaire had the stupid, el cheapo dial (digital controller with the external thermometer are available for Generalaire, but I was renting in Calgary). The amount of humidity that can be in the air without condensation forming on windows (risk of rotting out window sills and mold forming like my buddy's house), and the external temperature probe combined with the digital controller insured the perfect amount of humidity was always present.

I had to heat several more months a year in Anchorage so I went through two pads per year, but in Calgary only wen through one pad per year.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if they force moist air through the duct work, why isn't there all kinds of mold build up in the duct work ?

wouldn't that be the perfect place for mold /mildew to propagate?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
if they force moist air through the duct work, why isn't there all kinds of mold build up in the duct work ?

wouldn't that be the perfect place for mold /mildew to propagate?

It isn't that moist. We have an Aprilaire and it's okay with a controller to make it go on and off based on humidity level in the house.

Pretty much just check the cartridge the water flows through annually - it clogs up with minerals. Plumbed with a tiny copper line off the hot water heater - runs when the furnace is on.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
We had an add on one put in when we replaced our unit.
$100 bucks extra, including a solenoid valve, water line, wiring and a humidistat to control it.

It was just a single nozzle that hooked up via an icemaker type waterline kit. It simply sprayed a very fine mist into the air stream right before the gas heat chamber. It was on a humidistat inside beside the regular thermostat. It would only spray if the heat was running and the humidistat was calling for it as well.

It worked well with no maintenance at all for years. When the plastic water line split and leaked I shut it off and never bothered repairing it. By that time we had a house full, more cooking, more baths etc and didn't really need it.

The biggest drawback might be clogging due to hard water.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
I have an Aprilaire 700, generally we like it when it is working, but something is always going wrong. I just had to replace the water solenoid, it was like 40 bucks on Amazon. I bought mine brand new and had the folks install it when we got new HVAC. If I had to do it over I would have bought it through the HVAC company so they would warranty the repair.

I prefer to install it on the supply side with hot water, make sure you use copper.

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aprilaire is the leader.

General and GeneralAire is the same and is ok. Just not as simple to keep clean and maintain.

Would never install one without an automatic controller.

If your water has a lot of calcium, you must stay on top of the cleaning or you will end up with water damage.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Looks like mine has a clog between the saddle valve and solenoid. Not sure which. I didn’t have time to break out the ladder to fully disassemble. The solenoid does click when the dial is turned on.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I'm not familiar with that brand, all of those designs operate about the same. I like them, (others may not). But every winter I replace the pad, clean the system, and throughout the winter you need to adjust the setting (unless you have a digital one that adjusts automatically). I keep a temperature and humidity gauge in the house and adjust to try and maintain about 40%RH year round. In other words, I think they're worth fixing and maintaining. Consistent humidity results in fewer drywall cracks, cracking wood, and overall improves the comfort and feel of the home. My wife used to complain about being "hot" or "cold" when the thermostat was always the same. Once I got a consistent humidity, the complaining (about temperature) mostly subsided.

The most comfortable HVAC system I've every had controlled humidity year round. In the summer, it had a small and large compressor, and ran the small compressor for longer periods to dehumidify. In the winter, it would adjust the humidifier setting to maintain a RH setpoint. Alas, 2 years after I put that system in we moved.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post