SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wakulla Springs Cave video
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wakulla Springs Cave video Login/Join 
posted
This is a new video just shot by the WKPP, testing some new equipment and lights. I have yet to dive this system (and may never get a chance)but this is an immense cave. At 3:39 of the video you get an idea of how huge it is in some places. Enjoy

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
How does one figure out how to get back w/o taking a wrong turn? Can't leave breadcrumbs....

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Underwater caves fascinate me but going through one is one of the scariest things I can think of.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
How does one figure out how to get back w/o taking a wrong turn? Can't leave breadcrumbs....

Lines.

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Cool, but I'd rather do proximity wingsuit flying.

If you screw the pooch you die faster.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
That almost gave me a panic attack. I have been there and swam before, cool place.

So far they have mapped out 28 MILES of underwater caves at Wakulla. Fascinating!!

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Can someone explain how deep they were... it kept showing something like 225 ffw deep surely they can't be 225 feet?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Can someone explain how deep they were... it kept showing something like 225 ffw deep surely they can't be 225 feet?

Yes, they were between 225' and 295' deep. Wakulla runs deep, areas are a tad below 300' That is what makes that cave so challenging, the depth. Even "short" dives will require 3 hour plus decompression.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Is all of that cave contained within the bounds of the state park, or is it also underneath the surrounding residential area? The park itself seems to be made up of a number of pieces which are not contiguous, so I would expect the cave to be underneath a lot of places not in the park.

Fifty+ miles of cave is a lot. It makes me wonder how many other caves remain undiscovered or unexplored in other areas of Florida.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
There is no way that the caves are only under the park. They definitely go through residential and commercial areas outside the boundaries of the park.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Cool place. I was there for a meeting when I was with the US EPA.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

Yes, they were between 225' and 295' deep. Wakulla runs deep, areas are a tad below 300' That is what makes that cave so challenging, the depth. Even "short" dives will require 3 hour plus decompression.

I have a dive buddy that would just shrug his shoulders and say it’s big boy diving. I clearly remember him saying those exact words as gear was getting tossed around on a 4 hour boat ride out in the Atlantic.

Looks like a crazy fun dive. I like the markings on the bottom of the bailout gas.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I am not a diver, and there is no friggen way I would go in there if I was a diver.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Terrific footage. Water is so clear that it looks like they’re on a space walk.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
There is no way that the caves are only under the park. They definitely go through residential and commercial areas outside the boundaries of the park.

No, right now, the WKPP has mapped over 20 miles of cave. Each year the divers connect more cave systems to it or add additional passages.

And there are surrounding systems that they pretty much believe connect to Wakulla but they haven't found the connection yet.

Unfortunately, as the surrounding towns pull more water out of the ground (residential, agricultural, commercial) and dump more and more semi-treated sewage on top if it that leaches down, the ability to explore the system becomes less and less. What used to be a pristine system that was always clear year round now is undivable a good part of the year due to tannic water intrusion and virtually zero visibility in much of the cave systems. As the flow reduces, heavy rains will push the tannic water into the system also. 30 years ago the basin in the park was gin-clear, now it can be a murky green and worse as you descend.

quote:
Originally posted by comet24:...I like the markings on the bottom of the bailout gas.

Me too, that is when you know it is serious, when the MOD of your gas is 300'!

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:

quote:
Originally posted by comet24:...I like the markings on the bottom of the bailout gas.

Me too, that is when you know it is serious, when the MOD of your gas is 300'!

That was one of the first things I noticed. Definitely, a key those guys are not playing around that and the scooter setup. Always adding to my knowledge and toolbox. Good chance I will be stealing that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
[...Always adding to my knowledge and toolbox. Good chance I will be stealing that.

Bottle marking is key with the WKPP. All of our stages have the MOD on the side and the bottom. That way your buddy can make sure you are on the right gas with just a glance.

chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I love watching those videos. I really enjoy recreational/sport diving and have no desire to do the technical stuff.

There are times where I think I'd like to go deeper just so I could visit different wrecks but honestly the I haven't scratched the surface of what I can see inside of 90'.

I love sharing these videos with my kids (my 10 year old is getting certified in June) and they think seeing what is "under" the springs we dive is very very cool!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gascan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this! I enjoy watching/having someone else getting this footage without ever wanting to dive caves myself.

Posts: 135 | Location: Sunny St. Pete | Registered: March 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post