SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The most delicious pasta dish you have never had-- but now you can have
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The most delicious pasta dish you have never had-- but now you can have Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
I would have no idea where to find prosciutto that I could cube. The only way I can find it is thinly sliced in little packages.
The recipe itself sounds delicious. Smile

Our local Kroger based chain (Smiths out here) sells Boars Head product in their deli. They have the unsliced stuff there that you could have the cut a chunk off.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
Justjoe,
On the Pasta e fagioli recipe how many servings would you say it makes if I add the ground beef? Thanks for sharing the recipes.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Could chicken breast be used as a substitute for ground beef?

Restricted fat diet here.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Served as the main dish, six people, easily. Many more than that in smaller portions as a first course soup.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Could chicken breast be used as a substitute for ground beef?

Restricted fat diet here.

I have used 99% fat free ground turkey and it's very good. I usually flavor it with a bit of A 1 while it is cooking.

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
OK my family is from Northern Italy and I don't have a clue what EVOO is...Care to enlighten me?
Thanks.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
ooh ooh (horshack)
I got this

evoo = Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Horshack nailed it.

A lot of my family is from Northern Italy as well-- the Piedmont. Unusual, North & South. My grandmother (tall, blonde, blue eyed) was from a wealthy family, and she fell in love with the (poor) tailor who traveled up from the south (dark hair, dark skin) and made clothes for her family. Her family said they would disown her if she married him. She married him anyway, and together they emigrated to America. Romantic, eh?

This dish, Genoese, is also a joining of north and south. Historically, it is traced to Genoa and Naples, two main western port cities with a lot of commerce. But it clearly originates in the north, not only because of its name-- beef and ham are the giveaways. Along with the absence of tomatoes.

posted Hide Post
Joe - I hope to make this really soon, and have a coupla questions. 1) Have you ever subbed any other lean beef cuts? I'd like to sub sirloin tip or rump roast, as I have plenty of those on hand (we get a whole beef every year, and the round gets ground), and 2) have you ever successfully doubled this recipe for a larger crowd? I know some recipes don't translate well when doubling, etc. Thank you!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
If you put the beef through a grinder-- "hamburger"- it should be fine. No, I have never doubled the recipe for a larger crowd, but I think it should work fine.

Since I originally published the recipe, I have discovered that Barilla makes packaged macaroni, including elbows, that are meant to be microwaved for a minute as their total cooking. I was very positively surprised that it's very good! You can add elbow macaroni right out of the package-- no need to microwave-- and it will finish cooking perfectly in the soup.

I hope somebody tries Genoese, the original recipe of this thread. It really is incredible-- and I have been to Italy twice-- once for five months-- so, even considering pasta dishes there, this one is unforgettable.

posted Hide Post
I'm confused, I thought your recipe started with a whole piece of round, that later got sliced. How does it work with the ground beef? I was just going to substitute a whole piece of sirloin tip for the whole piece of eye of round.

My daughter has a friend from Italy who laments the American version of most Italian foods, so I thought I'd make this soon, for him to try. Thanks again!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the confusion. I thought you were referring to the other recipe I posted, not Genoese. A whole piece of sirloin tip should work just fine. Let me know how it turns out. Wink

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Thanks. What do you think using frozen peas would do? I can't stand canned peas.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Frozen peas would be better than canned. LOL No kidding. And fresh would be best of all. But this is a dish I have relished since I was a little kid, and the canned peas always look... right. Slathered with the Genoese sauce, they taste good.

I'm sure it's just the sentimental side of me that every time I make it, I use canned.

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I am confused: What makes the sauce? You do not list any liquids. Do you add water when the dry Lipton's package is added?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
As the chopped onions slowly slowly simmer down, and caramelize, they will release water. You should not need to add any. Just be sure you keep the pot covered all the while, and keep the heat low under the covered pot. The salt from the prosciutto helps release the water from the onions.

You also should not need to add salt, because the Lipton's onion soup has plenty.

But as with all cooking situations, adjust as might be needed. If you need to add salt, or water, do so. But wait until the onions are fully carmelized and the Lipton's soup mix added before making any such decision. (I can pretty much guarantee you will not need to add water or salt.)

This is an easy dish to prepare. Follow the steps and you'll be fine. And you will be amply rewarded for your patience in the long cooking time. Wink

I have a friend coming over for dinner on Easter (Passover) who does not eat pork. Otherwise, this would for absolutely sure be my Easter dinner-- my kids love it!

As it is, I'll be making a seafood paella, which I learned how to make when I lived on Majorca.

Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
For Italians, food is love.

It pleases me to share this with my Sigforum family.

I have never seen Genoese on a menu in the US. A friend of mine sent me a cell photo of a menu in Venice, and that is the only one I have ever seen. (And the menu description sounded just like the dish as I know it. He ordered it and said it was delicious.)

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I had to laugh- I had taken notes on your recipe yesterday and then went about my business- midday I got a text from my husband sending me the link from the forum for the recipe -apparently we were both hungry!
Thanks again. Can’t wait to try.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5318 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
Ten onions-- and don't forget the secret ingredient-- over the course of six or seven hours, in a pot with a chunk of beef and cubes of prosciutto ham, melt down to the most incredibly luscious sauce you have ever tasted. Try it.

I notice you did not mention any "liquid" added to this recipe? just the meat/onions give enough liquid? Or do you add in the water per the onion soup mix?

(my mouth was watering reading this!)

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post